Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irreligious countries and ****.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This is a public service announcement
    With guitar
    Know your rights all three of them

Number 1
    You have the right not to be killed
    Murder is a CRIME!
    Unless it was done by a
    Policeman or aristocrat

Know your rights

And Number 2
    You have the right to food money
    Providing of course you
    Don't mind a little
    Investigation, humiliation
    And if you cross your fingers
    Rehabilitation

Know your rights

These are your rights

Know these rights

Number 3
    You have the right to free speech

as long as you're not
    dumb enough to actually try it.

Know your rights

These are your rights
    All three of 'em
    It has been suggested
    In some quarters that this is not enough!

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

The Sisters of Charity / NMH thread brought the ramblings of old Bill to mind, notably the quoted section below.
    If you're doing business with a religious son-of-a-bitch, get it in writing. His word isn't worth ****, not with the good lord telling him how to **** you on the deal.

Plus ça change... ...though these days I guess you need to watch what they put on paper too :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

smacl wrote: »
    The Sisters of Charity / NMH thread brought the ramblings of old Bill to mind, notably the quoted section below.

Plus ça change... ...though these days I guess you need to watch what they put on paper too :cool:

I met ol Willie Burroughs back in my interestingly spent youth. Even appeared on Japanese TV with him.*

Thoroughly unpleasant misogynist he was too. Brion Gysin - the actual 'inventor' of the cut-up technique - was a delight. Witty,charming, mischievous,and far more interesting.

*I wasn't supposed to but the old feck demanded all the "goddamned fish" leave the room as he couldn't breath from the stench and ... well...I told him where he could shove that notion and stayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I met ol Willie Burroughs back in my interestingly spent youth. Even appeared on Japanese TV with him.
    This is the kind of thing that you must either never mention, or be prepared to say a great deal more about. And you've passed on the first option.

So, tell us more — much more. Enquiring minds want to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I met ol Willie Burroughs back in my interestingly spent youth. Even appeared on Japanese TV with him.*

Thoroughly unpleasant misogynist he was too. Brion Gysin - the actual 'inventor' of the cut-up technique - was a delight. Witty,charming, mischievous,and far more interesting.

*I wasn't supposed to but the old feck demanded all the "goddamned fish" leave the room as he couldn't breath from the stench and ... well...I told him where he could shove that notion and stayed.

Doesn't surprise me. He was mates with a notorious child abuser *mod snip*

MOD

Having thought long and hard about this I have removed the name of the individual as they were never arrested for or convicted of child abuse. This is not to say there were not allegations (none from alleged victims that I can find), or that the named individual was not associated with frankly disgusting advocacy groups, or in any other way a defence of the named individual. My concern is simply that definitively stating a named individual was a child abuser when they were never charged with such a crime never mind convicted is not a route I think this forum should go down.

• Advertisement

Cool, I could certainly imagine he was an obnoxious bastard to be in company with. A friend met himself and Jean Genet in Belfast back in the day and it sounded colourful to say the least, and not in a rainbows and unicorns kind of way. I find Burrough's work very entertaining for all that but am under no illusions about him beyond that. If we were to restrict our input of creative material to authors who were paragons of virtue, life would be rather more drab.

That last sentence seems very much where we're headed, however.

Life ain't always empty.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    This is the kind of thing that you must either never mention, or be prepared to say a great deal more about. And you've passed on the first option.

So, tell us more — much more. Enquiring minds want to know!

Back in the early 80s I was part of a group of artists, musicians, general arty youff, that were part of the London arty underground that gathered around Genesis P-Orridge.

I was in Gen's house one day and everyone was all a flutter as Willie S was due to be interviewed by a Japanese tv crew.
    The 'great' man arrived and immediately, and verbally obnoxiously, objected to the presence of the 3 females in the room - Gen's then wife, his* baby daughter, and myself. Paula went to leave but I said F This and refused point blank. I believe I called him a langer.
    So there I was, sat on the end of the sofa while the Father of Cut-Up glared at me throughout his interview while trying to get as far away from my oestrogen stench as possible.

*many years later Gen transitioned so I suppose there really were 4 females in the room.

Back in the early 80s I was part of a group of artists, musicians, general arty youff, that were part of the London arty underground that gathered around Genesis P-Orridge.

I was in Gen's house one day and everyone was all a flutter as Willie S was due to be interviewed by a Japanese tv crew.
    The 'great' man arrived and immediately, and verbally obnoxiously, objected to the presence of the 3 females in the room - Gen's then wife, his* baby daughter, and myself. Paula went to leave but I said F This and refused point blank. I believe I called him a langer.
    So there I was, sat on the end of the sofa while the Father of Cut-Up glared at me throughout his interview while trying to get as far away from my oestrogen stench as possible.

*many years later Gen transitioned so I suppose there really were 4 females in the room.

I am one of the people pictured on the inner sleeve - but more to the point I have a copy of the first pressing in my attic and I'm suddenly interested in how much it's worth...https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/360/1111/06/psychic-tv-dreams-less-sweet-cbs_360_56893ddbf73fc337d1d9ebe3edd5c632.jpg

OK, I'm impressed.

(And a little surprised that anyone in moving in a circle that included P-Orridge would be aflutter at the prospect of meeting Burroughs. Definitely bonus points for calling him a langer.)

• Advertisement

OK, I'm impressed.

(And a little surprised that anyone in moving in a circle that included P-Orridge would be aflutter at the prospect of meeting Burroughs. Definitely bonus points for calling him a langer.)

There were a lot of fan boy hangers on around. They usually got shown the door quickly if they proved to be uninteresting. My official role was stroppy, gobby, and Irish. Which really only required me to roll my eyes, snort, and mutter "langer".
    I was only there for the free backstage passes, sneak previews of art exhibitions, and damn fine cocoa.

Edit to add: Gen was the proud possessor of the Official William S Burroughs' Archive. Folks would travel miles to examine it's... stuff.
    Oh how we would laugh at their faces when, with great ceremony, the shoebox was produced.

Edit to add: Gen was the proud possessor of the Official William S Burroughs' Archive. Folks would travel miles to examine it's... stuff.
    Oh how we would laugh at their faces when, with great ceremony, the shoebox was produced.
    Do I want to know what was in it?

On reflection, probably, no, I don't.

Do I want to know what was in it?

On reflection, probably, no, I don't.

TBH I never bothered my hole to find out. Something something cuts ups (so scraps of paper then) and possibly things best touched with long tongs and a bio hazard suit.

The man was nasty.

I am one of the people pictured on the inner sleeve - but more to the point I have a copy of the first pressing in my attic and I'm suddenly interested in how much it's worth...https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/360/1111/06/psychic-tv-dreams-less-sweet-cbs_360_56893ddbf73fc337d1d9ebe3edd5c632.jpg

Alas, the image would appear to be forbidden. /403

smacl wrote: »
    Alas, the image would appear to be forbidden. /403

Hmmm... I can see it.

It's the inner sleeve of Psychic TV's Dream's Less Sweet released in 1983.
    The artist Val Denham is also there along with John Balance (I knew him as Geoff) who later founded Coil with Peter Christopherson, John Gosling who was in various bands, the poet Dave Tibet, and the various members of PTV.

The cool thing about it is it's 3 separate photos taken over 3 different days in different lighting conditions but the train on the track in the background is continuous. This was waaaay before the days of photoshop and digital. It was the result of Sleazy's (Christoperson) skill as a photographer. It was a triple exposure. Much masking tape on lens was used in it's production.

Photos were taken in London Fields in Hackney.

Gen, Sleazy, and Geoff are all dead now sadly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

It's the inner sleeve of Psychic TV's Dream's Less Sweet released in 1983.
    This album?

https://www.discogs.com/Psychic-TV-Dreams-Less-Sweet/release/186371

robindch wrote: »

That's the one.
    And the inner sleeve is in there too.

Not worth much sadly. Maybe the grandkids will make a few bob off it.

is that image in the centre of side A what I think it is? and now I'm getting curious about side B too...

oh and a Charles Manson "composition". Edgy...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Doesn't surprise me. He was mates with a notorious child abuser *mod snip*

MOD

Having thought long and hard about this I have removed the name of the individual as they were never arrested for or convicted of child abuse. This is not to say there were not allegations (none from alleged victims that I can find), or that the named individual was not associated with frankly disgusting advocacy groups, or in any other way a defence of the named individual. My concern is simply that definitively stating a named individual was a child abuser when they were never charged with such a crime never mind convicted is not a route I think this forum should go down.

Points taken. I interacted with the feminist writer Julie Bindel on Twitter a few years' back who was adamant that the person I referred to had been an active abuser, her source was another feminist writer, the late Andrea Dworkin who she had been friendly with. So it's kind of a third hand allegation, and I can't say I have proof or anything approaching proof, so can see why my post was edited.

is that image in the centre of side A what I think it is? and now I'm getting curious about side B too...
    It's an orchid with a metal ring inserted in the fashion of a genital piercing. Makes me clench just to look at it.

The reverse side of the album cover has a surprisingly conventional picture of the band members lounging about by the sea, overlaid by a track listing.

Then there's an inner sleeve - remember those? - which has the artwork that Bannasidhe mentions.

• Advertisement

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Points taken. I interacted with the feminist writer Julie Bindel on Twitter a few years' back who was adamant that the person I referred to had been an active abuser, her source was another feminist writer, the late Andrea Dworkin who she had been friendly with. So it's kind of a third hand allegation, and I can't say I have proof or anything approaching proof, so can see why my post was edited.

Yes, Dworkin was among the few sources I could find that made a direct accusation - and that was some years after the individual's death so Dworkin can't have been too concerned when he was alive. And tbh I would, personally, have issues with both Bindel and Dworkin as reliable sources for anything.

It's an orchid with a metal ring inserted in the fashion of a genital piercing. Makes me clench just to look at it.

It is, to be precise, a Prince Albert.

It is, to be precise, a Prince Albert.
    I bow to your superior knowledge of genital adornments.

does new Boards embedding work.. yes, yes it does. "Watson, come here, I have spilled acid on my balls." Transcript of the first telephone call evar.

Life ain't always empty.

Love is love is love <3 <3 <3

Life ain't always empty.

check the record, check the guy's track record

Life ain't always empty.

Here's a choone which is down with young people right now. It's about Youth in Asia.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Advertisement