Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFO over south Dublin

Options
  • 10-04-2011 4:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Just now (4:27 a.m.) saw a fairly impressive UFO over south Dublin. Bright yellow light moving across the sky, at first I thought it was a _big_ meteor, but then it slowed down, stopped, bobbed back and forth for a while, slowly fading, eventually moved off into the clouds.

I don't believe in alien spacecraft, but what it was, I have no idea - only even approximate match I can think of would be a helicopter with a searchlight, but it didn't quite look like that, and there was no sound.

Anyone else see it, and/or have any idea what it was?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Chinese lantern most likely. Mistaken for UFO's every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

102600d1286280155-us-air-force-aircraft-identification-chart-weather_balloon.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rwallace

:D at the aircraft identification chart.

Chinese lantern is an interesting possibility, the color was about right, but... this thing was bright enough (for something with a small angular size) and moving fast enough at first that I thought it was a meteor, then it slowed down and stopped almost dead in the sky (just moving back and forth a bit) for long enough for me to finish the second half of my cigarette, so several minutes. A Chinese lantern wouldn't move like that, would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rockynavan

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

rwallace wrote: »
    :D at the aircraft identification chart.

Chinese lantern is an interesting possibility, the color was about right, but... this thing was bright enough (for something with a small angular size) and moving fast enough at first that I thought it was a meteor, then it slowed down and stopped almost dead in the sky (just moving back and forth a bit) for long enough for me to finish the second half of my cigarette, so several minutes. A Chinese lantern wouldn't move like that, would it?

The question everyone wants to ask, what were you really smoking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

AGS heli most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rwallace

AGS heli most likely

Possibly, though for a helicopter to be that silent it would have had to be a long way up, therefore moving unusually fast, and to be that bright it would've had to be shining a searchlight beam directly at me. The searchlight beams I've seen in the past have all been white, do any helicopters use yellow searchlights?

(What does AGS stand for in this context? A Google search didn't find any obvious candidates.)

I think I'm going to tentatively put it down as a Chinese lantern. That would match the color, the silence and the slow fade. I might have overestimated distance, thereby overestimating speed and brightness; perhaps the movement could be explained by a freak wind pattern, which might be merely unusual, not impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

(What does AGS stand for in this context? A Google search didn't find any obvious candidates.)

An Garda Síochána
    I think I'm going to tentatively put it down as a Chinese lantern. That would match the color, the silence and the slow fade. I might have overestimated distance, thereby overestimating speed and brightness; perhaps the movement could be explained by a freak wind pattern, which might be merely unusual, not impossible.

possibly, they are getting a lot more common

• Registered Users Posts: 47 BrazIrish

And talking about UFOs and all this stuff, there is this news from today at the Independent about some FBI declassified documents. Interesting.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/americas/exploding-ufos-and-alien-landings-in-secret-fbi-files-2615774.html

Sorry for my English, there might be a few mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

A Giant Ship, obviously :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement