Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sako Vs Tikka - Recommendations

Options
  • 10-04-2011 4:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    I have listened to some respected shooters on the board rave about the Tikkas find myself thinking about picking one up.

I always thought that Sako and Tikka were synonyms. Kind of like saying Chevy vs GM in the States. Then I started getting a bit more specific and find that they are indeed different. Especially, in price! :eek:

So... Please advise.

1) What's the difference between Sako and Tikka?
    2) Which model would you suggest?
    3) What round do you shoot deer with?
    4) Sako 47 vs Tikka T3 Hunter

Disclosure: this rifle will be bought and live in the States. It will probably make a trip home, but not stay. However, when a Celtic Tiger, Lioness, or even Fox returns, so to will it.

On #1 - I really do not care too much for cosmetics. If Tikka used a few more composite pieces, so be it. I am primarily interested in receivers and barrels, the rest I can change.

On #2, I am thinking about the T3 Hunter. Any opinions about wood vs composite, stainless vs blue?

On #3 , Quite settle on the 300 Winchester Magnum. Primarily, I will be using it to hunt deer. However, I want something that can reach out far and take Elk/Moose. I have the 30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag. Hence, the desire for a 300WinMag.

On #4 - the T3 Hunter looks like a contender. What is the equivalent Sako: the A7 or the 85? The 85 is only a few dollars more - worth the price?

Cautiously awaiting Tack and Poulo...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Sako are the Parent company.

Tikka are (or were the cheaper, or low cost version)

Tika tac Vs Sako TRG etc

They are owned by Beretta now so they are not as defined anymore.

I had a sako 75 and Tikka had a rifle almost identical, except the sako had a few fancy features, steel Mag Vs Plastic etc

Like all companies they are becoming blurred design wise these days.
    Differences become more subtle.

The newer Sako's are not as nice as the older ones, and the newer Tikka's are nicer than the Older ones IMHO.

Paulo is selling his Tikka for a Custom sako, what does that say :D:D

(nothing really, only coincidence);)

Anywho, may get back to work :D

Beretta, Sako Tikka

Used to be part of the Nokia Valmet group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Tikka & Sako use SAME barrels ;)

Tikka actions are all the same size and use a spacer to reduce magazine size for diferent calibres which saves money as they don't have to set machines up for different size actions.

So in short buy a Tikka ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The Sakos are better in finish and definitely feel more solid in the hands. They also feel more purpose built. The Tikka is a great, smooth action, with a good trigger and the same barrels, but the Sako just feels more well thought out. If you want to go heavier than the 7mm mag, you're not really going to notice a difference unless you step past the .300 and head for the .338 mag. That'll do something different to your 7mm, while the .300 won't really. There'd be no good reason to have a .300 if you have a 7mm, and vice versa. Because the .338 is going to kick, I'd say go with the Sako. The fit, feel and finish, along with the extra weight, will make it more pleasant to shoot. I'd say get a Sako 75 or the older AV or L691 models. Stocks are available from McMillan if you want to get something to handle the rough and tumble of mountain hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

as bunnyshooter said tikka and sako use the same barrels, but they also have the same trigger. where they differ is that sako's have three locking lugs on the bolt, tikka have two, this will have some effect on accuracy or so i'm told. sako also have a function where you can operate the bolt while the safety is on, and they have a metal magazine which is flush with the stock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

If you can afford it go for the sako.
    It has the metal flush fitting magazine that can also be loaded from the top
    and I think they just look and feel a lot better than the tikka. There is just too much plastic on the tikka for me but they do shoot well.
    We dont get the sako A7 over here as it is only made for the US market,
    they seem to be a a cross between the tikka and the sako 85.
    The synthetic stock on the sako is also better than the one on the tikka but if your buying wood there will be no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

I've only held an A7 once and don't know what the recoil lug looks like.
    Out of the choices....I think I'd go Tikka T3 and get a few pimp bits
    with the money saved.
    Sako have just too many modells and aftermarket bits are scarce.
    Old Sako's like the Forester or L691 had a great action design which was copied by howa for a reason. Newer Sako's are also made to save production costs.
    Single feed of the T3 mag will be more reliable and one has the option of
    replacing the mag system with after market systems, even with AICS magazines.
    All factory plastic stocks are not very good, be it Sako or Tikka.
    Tikka might have the better selection of aftermarket stocks again.

Go for the hunter in wood, at least a usable nice looking stock for sundays
    and get a composite for the wet hunts.

edi

The sako magazines feed great.
    If you buy the tikka and decide to pimp it you will be out the price of a sako anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

hi fisma

i am a big tikka fan. my tikka tac is a great rifle, i have used the tikka t3 lite as well and its just as good as the tac.

it would be wrong of me to say tikka is a cheep sako, they do cost less though.

as tack said i am selling my tikka and buying a sako. that is true but not exactly.
    i am having a .243 built on a sako action.
    so to put it correctly i am selling my tikka to fund a custom build.

as far as stainless or other, i would have to go stainless for practical reasons as well as looking good.

i would love a 300 win mag and if i was to get one in the morning it would be a tikka tac 300 win mag with a 24" barrel.

one thing is for sure you wont be disappointed with either sako or tikka.

i look forward to seeing what you end up with and maybe someday sharing a hunt with you and your rifle.

zeissman wrote: »
    The sako magazines feed great.
    If you buy the tikka and decide to pimp it you will be out the price of a sako anyway.

Some feed ok some don't, double stack never feed as well as single feed.
    They can't, because the position is always a compromise.
    I've handled a few long action sako's that fed really well. My 308 doesn't
    at all and I'm converting it to a AICS magazine system.
    edi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

As said above, they both are owned by Beretta.
    Like most manufacturers, Beretta have niche branded products, one solid ordinary, the other 'luxury'.

Nissan has Nissan and Infiniti
    Toyota has Toyota and Lexus
    Beretta has Tikka and Sako for rifles
    Beretta has Franchi and Beretta for shotguns.

Rs
    P.

ejg wrote: »
    Some feed ok some don't, double stack never feed as well as single feed.
    They can't, because the position is always a compromise.
    I've handled a few long action sako's that fed really well. My 308 doesn't
    at all and I'm converting it to a AICS magazine system.
    edi

Ejg
    Has your sako got a detachable mag or a hinged floorplate ?
    Any of the 75s or 85s that I owned or handled all fed really well but they are all the detachable mag type.
    I know guys who had problems with the tikka T3 mag in the smaller calibres like 223 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

tikka is to sako what skoda is to vw they both drive the same, the vw might come with leather seats and aircon but it doesnt make it drive any better

theey're going to shoot the same it just depends if you want something that is fancier and looks better and all depends how much you want to spend, as said the tikka has a one size fits all action which means you have a very long bolt and magazine for the smaller cartridges but seeing that your going for a large calibre that wont matter

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/85HunterSS.pdf
    http://www.tikka.fi/pdf/specs/Hunter_Stainless.pdf

i bought a new rifle at the weekend, had the choice of a new tikka or a 2nd hand sako 75 at the same price, i went with sako as i preferred it, just felt nicer, but i know the tikka would have shot the exact same and i know guys who prefer tikka
    handle both and see which you prefer and buy that one, dont compromise on anything because everytime you use it you'll always have it in the back of your mind would the other one have been better

i remember reading this ages ago and couldn't find again, here it is and it might help with your decision
    http://www.biggamehunt.net/reviews/sako-a7-review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Lads Thanks for all of the feedback.
    ... If you want to go heavier than the 7mm mag, you're not really going to notice a difference unless you step past the .300 and head for the .338 mag ...
    You may be right, I think I should research more into the 338. It does not look like the A7 comes in 338, just the 85.
    declan1980 wrote: »
    sako's have three locking lugs on the bolt, tikka have two..

+1 for the Sako. They appear to have a one piece bolt and solid handle.
    If you can afford it go for the sako...

Fortunately, I am able to afford either. However, justifying the extra cash to myself is the problem. First, is the 85($1550) worth two A7's ($750)? Does the A7 at $750 beat the T3 at $525.

Sorry to quote prices lads, I don't normally do that as I know the pain of purchasing in Ireland and don't want to depress ye. You're probably thinking: buy them all! Imagine a T3 in Ireland for a total of €415
    We dont get the sako A7 over here as it is only made for the US market,
    they seem to be a a cross between the tikka and the sako 85.
    There's no restrictions I take it on the A7, just marketing, correct? The intention is that when I return home, the rifle comes with me and stays.
    Single feed of the T3 mag will be more reliable and one has the option of
    replacing the mag system with after market systems, even with AICS magazines.
    True. Although, I have never had a major problem with the double stack, the loading is faster on the single too.
    Go for the hunter in wood, at least a usable nice looking stock for sundays
    and get a composite for the wet hunts.
    What I usually do...
    poulo6.5 wrote: »
    as tack said i am selling my tikka and buying a sako. that is true but not exactly.
    You're shooting seems to justify the new kit. In general, I think most shooters limit their kit and not the other way around. I may not get better groupings out of the A7 wrt the T3, but the price difference is not much.

The T3 lite and the T3 are different models, correct? To be honest, when I am moving up the scale to the 300 Win Mag and maybe the 338, the last thing I want is the word Lite. I always wondered where they saved the weight.

I don't mind buying rifles that were originally designed for, say a 30-06, and are now used for 223. But when it goes the other way, I get concerned.
    As said above, they both are owned by Beretta.
    Seems like Beretta owns everybody. Do they own Winchester?
    ormondprop wrote: »
    ... said the tikka has a one size fits all action which means you have a very long bolt and magazine for the smaller cartridges but seeing that your going for a large calibre that wont matter

I could go for the shorter action 300WSM as opposed to the 300 Win Mag. In either case, the action would come second to the ballistics so you're correct.
    handle both and see which you prefer and buy that one, dont compromise on anything because everytime you use it you'll always have it in the back of your mind would the other one have been better
    Can you believe I am having trouble finding the Tikkas in the shops? I know of several shops that have a couple of hundred guns on display and not one Tikka!

Also, thanks for the links - that review was great! Like something I would write myself.

Looks like I will have to find a gun show or contact Tikka/Sako to determine their local dealer.

So lads, thanks again. I suppose the choice is now the A7 or the T3, unless I have overlooked something that justifies the 85's price.

Also, what about It_Wasn't_Me's valid point? Any suggestions on the big rounds: 300 WSM vs 300 Win Mag vs 338 Win Mag vs ??? ?

Slan

If money was no object i'd go for an 85, but thats just me, i love spending money as i'm very good at it,
    But if i wanted value for money the a7 seems to be on top, its a tikka but better, stronger magazine and bolt and built in weaver rail, or maybe one of these
    a7 tecomate

At those prices I would buy the sako A7.
    I like the idea of the weaver bases also.
    You could buy the A7, a good scope, and rings, for the price of the 85.

FISMA, feck buying a new Sako, get yourself an older gun. I'll throw a few Gunbroker links below, see how you like it. The .338 would be my recommendation if you want to step up from the 7mm. It does bring a lot extra to the table, which the .300 won't.

Try this
    Or this
    Or maybe this.

Personally, I love the Sakos. They're an incredible rifle, and not much else holds up to it in terms of feeling so capable. You certainly wouldn't be disappointed with one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

. Stocks are available from McMillan if you want to get something to handle the rough and tumble of mountain hunting.

I dont think Mc Millan do stocks for the L691, HS Precision are the only ones that do a hunting stock AFAIK

GixxerThou wrote: »
    I dont think Mc Millan do stocks for the L691, HS Precision are the only ones that do a hunting stock AFAIK

Hmm, interesting. McM seem to say that a good few of their stocks take "most" Sako actions. I suppose it would be possible to modify the stock to fit the action in some cases, but not much wrong with a HS Precision either.

• Advertisement

On the stock topic do any companies make affordable synthetic stocks for the sako 75 action I. Or would i just have to pick up one on ebay going 2nd hand

On the stock topic do any companies make affordable synthetic stocks for the sako 75 action I. Or would i just have to pick up one on ebay going 2nd hand

Very few

Edi Graef does a Tikka stock, If you spoke Nicely to him he could make you a Sako 75 stock

Hmm, interesting. McM seem to say that a good few of their stocks take "most" Sako actions. I suppose it would be possible to modify the stock to fit the action in some cases, but not much wrong with a HS Precision either.
    Yea they could be modified im sure, I have serious reservations about the quality of Mc Millan stocks tho! And its taking an awfully long time to get a HS :(

Thanks Tack, you'll get me in some trouble.:D
    Quite a lot of work to convert a stock, T3 to medium action 75 was ok but still one or two days extra work.
    Only made one so far. Apart from a howa to L579 conversion.

Another point, not sure if it is 100% true but on the hide it was mentioned
    that the T3 aluminium recoild lug bends under the hammering of the 338.
    This could be cured with a steel lug. The T3 recoil lug design is not the best.
    Sako 75 is also only screwed on, the old 691 or 579 was a better design,
    same as the howa 1500.

A7 picatinny two piece rail.
    Only one reason I would use picatinny rails and that is to be able to swap
    scopes from rifle to rifle. That works with one piece rails, but seldom with
    two piece rails because the gapping doesn't match with the next rifle.
    I have one piece rails on a T3 and on my old sako.

Zeissmann, the non feeding sako is a drop plate L579, it was never
    right. The rifle was a dud from day one. I have now almost sorted
    out all the problems.

edi

@ Edi

Necessity was the Mother of invention!

If you build it, they will come............;)

John Lambert has a second hand long action Mc Millan in green for a 75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

FISMA, feck buying a new Sako, get yourself an older gun. I'll throw a few Gunbroker links below, see how you like it. The .338 would be my recommendation if you want to step up from the 7mm. It does bring a lot extra to the table, which the .300 won't.
    ItWasn'tMe,
    I think you may be right. I'll watch GunBroker. However, I really need to find someone with these and pick them up. I hate buying a used rifle without picking it up.

I have plenty of time, which is a nice way of saying I just spent my recommended daily allowance of cash on ammo. Prices are about to pop in the states so I figured I would stock up.

Thanks for all of the ideas lads. I really want to see one of these in person. However, I think the next long gun will be a Sako.

Do Sakos and Remmy's fight if they are stored together in the same gun case? :D

The Finnish are going to have a hard time in the case with all of the yanks! Who will the Swiss, Italians, Austrian, or Germans side with?:confused:

A nice Sako 75 is a lovely rifle, and can be got in 7mm-08!
    sako75_greywolf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭badshot

A nice Sako 75 is a lovely rifle, and can be got in 7mm-08!
    sako75_greywolf.jpg

where?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

badshot wrote: »
    where?

On d'internet of course :P

Advertisement