Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sako Vs Tikka - Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

badshot wrote: »
    where?

I held a Sako Finlight 7mm08 in my hands in athlone.
    Not sure if your dealers can source, but FISMA is in the US so sourcing is not as difficult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

ItWasn'tMe,
    What is the difference between the Finnbear III and V? Anyone any idea or links?

It seems that the L61R action is sought and revered.

This one does look nice.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=224160569

Checked out the 300 Win Mag vs the 30-06. True the 300 beats the 30-06, but at a considerable powder expense. Again, probably will step up to a bigger round.

What's the word on the 338's trajectory?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The Roman numeral indicates the action length, with V being the long/magnum of the Sako line. That's a very nice looking gun.

In terms of trajectory, the .338 is pretty excellent. The Federal 225 gr TSX load is essentially identical to the 180gr TSX load in the .30-06, but with all the extra thump of the big bullet. I think you'd like it very, very much for what you're trying to do.

Out of curiosity, and to avoid dragging the thread off topic feel free to send a PM if you prefer, how are you liking the 7mm magnum? What bullets are you using and what velocities are you getting from what barrel length?

I literally just picked up a Howa 1500 in 7mm Rem Mag on Monday. It is awaiting a scope and has the factory rings and picatinny rails. The price was too good to pass up - $400. With all of the nonsense (shipping, ffl,...), the total cost came to about $500.

The 1500 will probably be out in about two weeks. I will have to pull some ring/base combos off of the others in the case to see which works best. I am a bit obsessed with getting the glass as close to the barrel as possible.

I here it kicks more than the 30-06 - that should be fun!

If you ever make it out to the states, you can fire her yourself.

Maybe we could have a boards day stateside since my attempt at boards day at home did not work!

I picked up some cheap ammo: Remington Core Lokt 175gr, some Pvri 174gr PSP BT, and Federal 150gr SP. I am going to reload for this one.

I might email that fella, with the link before, and offer him $1000 if it does not sell.

In terms of trajectory, the .338 is pretty excellent. The Federal 225 gr TSX load is essentially identical to the 180gr TSX load in the .30-06, but with all the extra thump of the big bullet. I think you'd like it very, very much for what you're trying to do.
    Wow - a 225gr at that speed! That's a lot of Kinetic Energy.

I seriously have to find someone with a Sako.

Next time you're home, have a look over my Sako. It's a lefty, but you'll get a feel for the build quality anyway. 7mm should be very slightly rougher than the .30-06, but a good bit louder, assuming you're firing 180gr bullets at about 2700fps. The .338 is putting out that 225gr TSX at 2800, so it's a serious bit of kit. I'd say shoot the 7mm a good bit before you decide you need the bigger gun. It'd be easy to develop a flinch. If you can handle it though, it's an incredible round. My Sako may very well end up a 7mm or .300 magnum. Would love to do something interesting if I could handload, a .308 Norma mag or a .30-338 Win Mag.

• Advertisement

I held a Sako Finlight 7mm08 in my hands in athlone.
    Not sure if your dealers can source, but FISMA is in the US so sourcing is not as difficult

My own personal opinion is that I hate the word "lite" when it comes to firearms. It always makes me wonder/cringe where the savings come from.

Do any of the Tikka or Sako people on the board know what Finnbear means? There's the Finn: bear, wolf, scout, and lite. Is the "bear" bit just telling you that it is of the large bore series - don't use anything less on the bears?

Also, is the L61R the Finnish "legend?"

Has anyone anything bad to say about these?

How about the 375H&H while we are talking big calibers?

Slan.

FISMA wrote: »
    My own personal opinion is that I hate the word "lite" when it comes to firearms. It always makes me wonder/cringe where the savings come from.

Do any of the Tikka or Sako people on the board know what Finnbear means? There's the Finn: bear, wolf, scout, and lite. Is the "bear" bit just telling you that it is of the large bore series - don't use anything less on the bears?

Also, is the L61R the Finnish "legend?"

Has anyone anything bad to say about these?

How about the 375H&H while we are talking big calibers?

Slan.

270gr bullet from a .375 will be about the same trajectory as a 180gr .30-06 but produces over 4000 ft/lbs at the muzzle. It's the absolute all-rounder. If someone told me tomorrow I could only have one rifle to do everything, it'd be a .375. Won't even chew up deer too badly. If you get one though, try get a few shots from one first. The .338 is a tough kicker, but the .375 is another notch up. However, due to the heavier guns and the characteristics of the recoil, a lot of people find it less unpleasant than the .338.

270gr bullet from a .375 will be about the same trajectory as a 180gr .30-06 but produces over 4000 ft/lbs at the muzzle. It's the absolute all-rounder. If someone told me tomorrow I could only have one rifle to do everything, it'd be a .375. Won't even chew up deer too badly. If you get one though, try get a few shots from one first. The .338 is a tough kicker, but the .375 is another notch up. However, due to the heavier guns and the characteristics of the recoil, a lot of people find it less unpleasant than the .338.

Thanks for the ongoing help. I like to scan GunBroker type sites for months before I buy.

The other day I was at the range and someone next to me was shooting 300WinMag. I had my 700 CDL in 30-06 - no stranger to "booms" and was surprised at the boom the 300 gave off.

You're right, I should shoot them both. People in the states are normally quite friendly when it comes to this sort of thing. In most cases, a simple question about their firearm receives an invitation for a few shots, and vice versa. However, not many bigger bores than mine at the range and Sako's/Tikkas are even more rare.

I see what you are saying with the 375. It appears that the round has a lot of versatility based on the bullet mass.

I am in no hurry to pick up the Sako, but if a good deal presents, then...

I want to get some reloading of big loads under my belt before I step up from the 30-06. I think with the extra "smarts" I may be able to make a better decision.

Either the 338 or 375 should be more than enough for anything on either of our continents. Unless there's a board's trip to Africa in the making.

Slan

The .300 has a fairly savage bark alright, but it's a barrel length issue mostly. If it were in a 26" barrel it wouldn't be so bad, much like a shorter .308. Your best bet is to look around and try get a few shots out of something bigger. Now, it's all to do with gun fit, as you know. If the stock fits you and there's a decent recoil pad, then there's feck all you can't learn to deal with. The .375 is the eternal classic, but the guns are heavy, and you carry a lot more than you shoot.

The .300 has a fairly savage bark alright, but it's a barrel length issue mostly. If it were in a 26" barrel it wouldn't be so bad, much like a shorter .308. Your best bet is to look around and try get a few shots out of something bigger. Now, it's all to do with gun fit, as you know. If the stock fits you and there's a decent recoil pad, then there's feck all you can't learn to deal with. The .375 is the eternal classic, but the guns are heavy, and you carry a lot more than you shoot.

The .300 Win Mag is no fun to fire. I watched a fella with a Muzzle Break on his CUSTOM winmag rub his shoulder after firing only 4 rounds at a comp recently.
    As a result groups are sh*te.

The ammo is stupid expensive as Nobody uses it.
    Even in the states unless you are shooting Moose, which to be honest Feck all do it's a dog of a yoke.

@FISMA, Tune your .30-06 and it will out shoot any .300win mag and kill all the deer you want.
    As you are in the states currently reloading might keep ammo costs tolerable, but do you want all that recoil?
    Did you ever get a snipers Kiss? I have seen several happen in my time.(never to me as I'm not a .22lr man)

If you have something that works, why change it? (unless for a .308 for course ;) )
    I bet feck all of the guys in the ranges actually use .300win Mag for anything other than conversation pieces.

I know of only a handful of guys in Ireland with .300 win mags, and they all have a different stalking calibre
    (bigger is not always better)

• Advertisement

The .300 Win Mag is no fun to fire. I watched a fella with a Muzzle Break on his CUSTOM winmag rub his shoulder after firing only 4 rounds at a comp recently.
    As a result groups are sh*te.

The ammo is stupid expensive as Nobody uses it.
    Even in the states unless you are shooting Moose, which to be honest Feck all do it's a dog of a yoke.

@FISMA, Tune your .30-06 and it will out shoot any .300win mag and kill all the deer you want.
    As you are in the states currently reloading might keep ammo costs tolerable, but do you want all that recoil?
    Did you ever get a snipers Kiss? I have seen several happen in my time.(never to me as I'm not a .22lr man)

If you have something that works, why change it? (unless for a .308 for course ;) )
    I bet feck all of the guys in the ranges actually use .300win Mag for anything other than conversation pieces.

I know of only a handful of guys in Ireland with .300 win mags, and they all have a different stalking calibre
    (bigger is not always better)

I've shot a few .300s, including a very lightweight Blaser, and they don't bother me, and I can shoot perfectly well with one. Everyone's tolerance is different. Ammo is a few quid a box more though, probably about a fiver more than say a .30-06. The .300 throws a 180gr bullet the way a .270 throws a 130gr bullet. It's a real class act. If you want to have the option of taking a long poke if it's the only shot that turns up and have lots of energy at the far end, it's a great gun for the job. As to a second stalking rifle, it's always more fun to have more. I'd like a .300 win mag a bit under 9 lbs, but I'd love a 7lb .25-06 or .270 to drag around on long days on rough ground. Also better to keep the hand in and offers a better package for foxing.

I've shot a few .300s, including a very lightweight Blaser, and they don't bother me, and I can shoot perfectly well with one. Everyone's tolerance is different. Ammo is a few quid a box more though, probably about a fiver more than say a .30-06. The .300 throws a 180gr bullet the way a .270 throws a 130gr bullet. It's a real class act. If you want to have the option of taking a long poke if it's the only shot that turns up and have lots of energy at the far end, it's a great gun for the job. As to a second stalking rifle, it's always more fun to have more. I'd like a .300 win mag a bit under 9 lbs, but I'd love a 7lb .25-06 or .270 to drag around on long days on rough ground. Also better to keep the hand in and offers a better package for foxing.

Everyone's Tolerence is different alrite...........as my Tolerence is wearing thin, next time you "shoot" a .300 Win Mag let me know.

I'll get the popcorn as I'm sure it would be a good show ;)

How long range are you advocating on Game?
    As for punching paper; Terminal Energy is not relevant

If you can't kill a deer with a .25-06 a .300 win mag will not solve yer problems my boy. ;)

FISMA, sorry for derailing thread, But The Tangent it was on was going into another ball park altogether :eek:

Everyone's Tolerence is different alrite...........as my Tolerence is wearing thin, next time you "shoot" a .300 Win Mag let me know.

Yeah, I'll be sure to invite you to the show. :rolleyes: Those who know me and know what I've shot and liked can attest that a .300 doesn't bother me. If you somehow don't believe that, it's your problem. I intend owning a .300 in the future. It's really not that rough. Most people should be able to manage it if they practise and are sensible.
    How long range are you advocating on Game?
    As for punching paper; Terminal Energy is not relevant

Depends on the game, the circumstances and so forth. Not all game will be possible to stalk into two hundred yards or so. Plenty of places in the world something along the lines of a .300 magnum is the recommended rifle, either for the size of the game or for the distances involved.
    If you can't kill a deer with a .25-06 a .300 win mag will not solve yer problems my boy. ;)

Deer aren't the biggest game out there. Broaden your mind.

I was broading my mind before you were in short trousers.

And i know Looooooooooooooads who know you :D
    the-secret-life-of-walter-mitty-danny-kaye-movie.jpg

Sako Owners,
    What mounts and rings do the Sakos use?

Will an older Finnbear have some strange, hard to find setup?

Hoping for standard weaver or Picatinny. Would like to use the Zee or XTR's.

Thanks for the feedback. There's sooooo many questions I have. I must admit that this one is tempting. http://www.impactguns.com/store/082442811468.html

The 75 has a tapered dovetail, which means bases have to be specific. Not sure about older models. You could always have the receiver drilled and tapped for the bases of your choice. I'm thinking of having a one piece rail mounted on mine for flexibility.

Personally, I'd avoid the Tikka in .338 mag. It's a light gun and I reckon that'll just rattle the teeth out of you. That said, if it fits and feels right. Too short and light for me.

It's against my religion to drill/tap firearms, especially older ones. I have had a K98 and a K31 which I really wanted to put some modern optics on, but did not.

Unless, the factory were to drill the receiver, I would not want anyone to do such to my firearm. Just a personal opinion.
    The 75 has a tapered dovetail, which means bases have to be specific.

What do you mean by specific? We are not talking custom to the gun, are we?

My cousin had a K98 and a period scope. He had to pay almost more for claw mounts to mount the scope than he did for the rifle!

How about a 458 Win Mag?
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=225318178

Looks like Finnbear is for the bears!
    sakofinnbearht.jpg

Just found this post explaining 338's - thought it was funny.
    338 Federal-Baby Bear(teenager)
    338 Win. Mag.-Mama Bear
    338 Lapua-Papa Bear
    340 Weatherby Mag.-Papa Bear's Brother. Tom.

Not custom to the individual rifle, no, but it's a design that's unique as far as I know, so bases need to be specifically for a Sako rail. Not sure about older guns, maybe contact the sellers and ask for photos? .458 is going to kick more again. While both the .338 and the .375 (and the .300) are useful for a 300 yard poke at something, the .458 would be rather outclassed there. It's useful close up, with big 500gr bullets, for stopping things, hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

As far as I know the Finbear has the same mounts as the L579 Forester exept longer apart.
    My Forester ( late 60's) takes normal optilock mounts or the Roedale rail.
    edi

Thanks Lads,
    .458 would be rather outclassed there. It's useful close up, with big 500gr bullets, for stopping things, hard.
    I forgot to put a smiley face at the end of the statement. I have no intentions of getting the 458. I never even heard of it until I did a search on the Sako Finnbear and that link popped up - only 2500 made.
    ejg wrote: »
    As far as I know the Finbear has the same mounts as the L579 Forester exept longer apart.
    My Forester ( late 60's) takes normal optilock mounts or the Roedale rail.
    edi
    As long as these combos are not hard to come by. I do not want to have to drill and tap for a scope.

• Advertisement

The standard Sako Optilock mounts should be widely available. They're what I have on mine at the moment. I'd probably go with the .338 for what you're looking for. If you think you might hunt bigger game abroad in future, then I'd get a .375 and use the domestic hunting as practice time for using it. Chances are it'll end up about a pound heavier than a .338 mag. I'd love one of the CZs in .375 (and they do make a lefty version, thankfully). Maybe a CZ 550 American Safari Magnum?

71d8440599edd8caeed803da30eb8718.png

Or, if you don't need the long range thump of the .338 and are happy to confine shots to about 250 yards, I think you could do a lot worse than a nice, trim CZ 550 American in 9.3x62.

ee017376da4aa058486458069063d3ca.png

Will kill big game hard, without a lot of fuss or blast compared to the magnum case (capacity is similar to a .30-06). That's a 286gr bullet at about 2450-2500 fps with careful handloads (and it really is a handloader's cartridge) and a 250gr bullet at about 2700, with massive penetration. You could use either for just about the entire spectrum of African and American and European game. Hell of an all rounder, but not a long range canyon crosser. Well capable to over 300 yards though in the right hands. Would love one someday. I'm still waiting for CZ to offer their 550 standard models in left hand drive.

Anyone with a 458 must be reloading. I just checked the prices and found they are around $7.00 or $8.00 per round! That's worse than a 50 cal!
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Federal-Premium174-458-Winchester-Magnum-Rifle-Ammunition/740759.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3D458%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=458&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Even the 338 Win Mag is $2 or $3 a round. The 338 Rem Ult Mag is worse.

Still, I think the 338 is a nice compromise.

It,
    The CZ's are nice, but I think I want a Sako in the case.

Just got the Howa 1500 in 7mm Rem Mag. Wish I would have picked up a Finnbear instead. Perhaps, it could have cured the case of Sako fever I am currently having.

I would just like to rack the bolt once to feel it. Does the bolt rotate a lot? I have always wished the lads at Remington would take off a few degrees to keep my hand from hitting the scope.

Not sure about the older models but the newer ones are all 60 degress. Very smooth and fast.

The Roman numeral indicates the action length, with V being the long/magnum of the Sako line. That's a very nice looking gun...
    ItWasn'tMe,
    It appears that the one I am looking at, which has the AV, is a newer model, one of the later L61R's. Looks as if they changed the stamp on the receiver. Still unsure, but will find out
    http://www.sako.fi/pdf/datatables/SakoOldmodelsNumbering.pdf

From the link above, it appears that during the early 80's the L61R was re-stamped to AIII. Later, the AIII became the AV, which puts this Sako between 85 and 89 with the action manufactured by CNC machines.

The model is marked Finnbear and is 338Win Mag. I am informed that it is an anniversary safari model. The wood is not clear coated - glossy looking but hand rubbed oil instead and is original.

I think I am going to pull the trigger, pun intended, unless anyone has one of those - "oh no" not that model moments.

Slan

I think you'd be hard pressed to go wrong with any Sako. My vote is go for it. I want a review now after all this chat. :) Good mounts though. It's not the heaviest gun in the world and the .338 mag has a reputation for really testing scopes and mounts.

Welcome home! Picked up the AV today. Thanks again for all of the help and any additional help ye may have.

I am not likely to fire her for a week. I am very sad to report that I do not own any ammunition for this rifle. :o

Here are a few impressions.

The wood is just beautiful. It is hand rubbed oil and there is no clear coat. On guns, I just do not like that clear coat finish. Checkering is very nicely done. The cheek rest feels good and the length of pull is spot on.

I'll have to get shims as I am seeing the rifle "ramp-upwards."

I have to admit that I thought the rifle felt a bit light. Perhaps, I am just use to heavy guns, I have air-rifles. However, I was expecting it to be heavier. With that said, my 700 feels just a bit lighter.

That's a big bore! Was impressed looking down the barrel of a 338WM. Lot's of groove left. I doubt this thing was shot more than a few rounds.

The action is sweet, however, I would not say that it is much smoother than my 700 30-06 Boone & Crockett CDL. The action is nice and tight and I have not taken the bolt down to inspect.

Trigger - very nice, as expected and delivered. Crisp, clean, what Sako is known for.

The bluing on the receiver is beautiful. I cannot wait to get some rings on her.

Correct me if I am wrong lads, but the receiver has the mounts built in, right? All I have to do is get some Sako rings and I am set to go. These look like they should fit.
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-sako-ring-mounts.html

However, I do not know what rings to buy as I do not know what scope to put on it.

Don't want to drop a lot, like over $1000, but thinking about it. I think I will go with a scope that has a max of 20x and 50mm bell. I am leaning towards something European, like Zeiss, just to keep this one 100% Euro. The Classic's look a bit pricey so the Conquest may be the way to go.
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/zeiss-conquest-6-20x50bl-hunt-riflescopes.html

Has anyone tried the Burris Black Diamond?
    http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-8-32x50mm-black-diamond-rifle-scope.html

Thanks again for the help lads.

I cannot wait to get this to the range. Unfortunately, my local range tops out at 300ya. They tell me there's a 600ya and 1000ya a few hours away.

If any of ye lads ever make it out here, we'll make it a day trip!

Slan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Congrats lad. Well may she wear. It's like having a new baby in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

The 6.5-20x50 Zeiss is possibly the best scope zeiss (or meopta) builds.
    It has a great ratio between weight and performance.
    You can easily see 6mm holes at 300yds with it but still has a good field of view for hunting. Glas is very good. I now just bought my second one.
    I'd recomend Z plex recticle as it seems just right, good for last light and good for target.
    edi

Glad to hear you're happy wih it FISMA. Throw up some photos when you get a chance, and a review would be great too when you get a chance to shoot it. The .338 mag will certainly be fun. :D

• Advertisement

Just got some ammo, still no glass though, but that's for another thread...

Will let ye know how the first shot went. It will be interesting to see if I feel much change. The 30-06 is no problem, unless you get too relaxed.

Thanks again lads.

Advertisement