Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sako Vs Tikka - Recommendations

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Jaysis, you've had that rifle how long without firing a shot?! I don't think I could have restrained myself! biggrin.gif

redface.gif I cannot help but feel bad, that somehow I have failed in life, not having shot this fine firearm - Epic Fail on my behalf.:rolleyes:

I better not tell you about the shotty I picked up last year then.

Still having issues with the mounts. It took a while for the Roedale lads to get back to me, I just may pick up their mount - thanks for the links lads.

However, I :mad:HATE:mad: putting a picatinny rail on this suh-weet looking rifle. I will have to post picks soon, but a picatinny rail will just look like cr@p with the bluing and rubbed. I don't mind a picatinny on my 700 as she has military applications like the M40, but my Finnbear?

Aside from looks, the picatinny sits high on an already high mount.

Further compounding the problem is that this is supposed to be my long range shooter and I want the glass to be as close to the barrel as possible.

Anyhow, the Burris mounts Clive recommended were problematic to get so I went with Leupold Ringmounts. I ordered low, but they were too low. so I returned them and ordered medium, but they were too low. So I returned them and got high. They just arrived so we'll try them on tonight.

Epic fail!

She'll be shot soon.

The rounds look like fat 30-06's. I cannot wait to shoulder this thing.

Slan

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Enjoy. Looking forward to the range report.

Enjoy. Looking forward to the range report.

I took the Sako out the other day for a quick shot at the range.

Before I shot the 338 Win Mag, I decided to "warm-up" with the 30-06. I shot around 60 rounds of 185gr and then made the jump to the 338 Win Mag.

Bad idea because this thing bloody kicks!:D I shot half a box of Hornady Superformance 220gr and all I can say is ouch.

The groups at 300ya were, as I say, not going to win any competition, but would bring home dinner.

Seriously speaking, 10" target at 300ya and all were respectfully on target. I was having "one of those days," so I did not get a chance to see what she could do. Just one of those days where you know you're limiting the rifle and not the other way around.

Towards the end I could feel the twitch coming on. I knew that when I pulled that trigger I was going to feel it. I am going to take her out tomorrow and shoot here first so we'll see how she shoots.

I was checking out the performance and they tell me that the 338Win Mag is as fast at 200ya as the 30-06 is at the muzzle!

Also, I probably should not have read Chuck Hawk recoil table page. The 30-06 has a recoil speed of 12.8 mph whereas the 338 is about 16.3mph.

Other thoughts.

Trigger. Okay Sako and Tikka lads, you are correct. These triggers are a thing of beauty. They break like glass. Also, maybe there's some Finn in me because the length of pull and setup is just perfect for my hand.

The bluing on the receiver is beautiful. Actually, it is too nice. It is so nice that it shows up the bluing on the barrel. The receiver almost looks like that black chrome - if you know what I mean.

Stock. Again, a thing of beauty. It is too bad that I am going to have to tape it up with the camo tape and make it look like a, wait for it, ... , :), ..., a sniper rifle!

Seriously, the stock is handed rubbed and not clear coated to death. You can actually feel the wood and the checking is well done.

The action is fast, however, I like the action on my CDL just as well, if not more. That could be because I am so used to the Remington action. However, in fairness, she does beat the action on my BDL and SPS. As if beating the SPS needed to be said.

At first, I though she felt a bit light. However, now, with a scope, she felt nice and was very pointable. I was tempted to take a few freehand shots but decided not too.

I will try and post some images tomorrow. No slagging for having a Burris on a Sako please.:eek: I went with Leupold Ringmounts and they held up well, didn't loosen or jump.

I still do not know what to do about the scope. The big boy scopes are a lot of money, which isn't the biggest problem. The issue is how far I have to travel to shoot out to 600 or 1000 ya - to make use of the scope. Heck, I might as well grab a weekday flight to Vegas and go plink in the desert. It would probably be cheaper and faster!

I'll have to try and fit the Harris Bipod to the Sako tonight. It appears that the sling swivel on the Sako is too big and the bipod will not slide on correctly. Anyone else have this problem?

Slan

Glad to hear you're enjoying it FISMA. The trick to any big rifle is not to overshoot with it. Half a box at a time with the .338 is plenty. You can work up towards a box in a session but there's no need for now. Get it sighted in over the course of a long day or so and the practice can start the next day. I'd use a sling on this, to be honest, ditch the bipod. A nice tight slung position will absorb some of the recoil for you too. It's a field gun, so shoot it like one. Sticks, slings. Bipod will bounce around like crazy and you won't manage easy follow up shots with that the way you would with the '06. I'd alternate a group with the '06 when training with one from the .338, don't get recoil fatigued. The .223 would be even better to be honest, and lots of .22 rimfire. A perfectly good practice for the .338 would be to put up whatever target you want, 8" or whatever, and fire three or four shots from three or four different positions and distances you'd take a shot at an animal. You know yourself; small groups are nice, but they're pretty meaningless. Just enjoy the rifle and bring home something big with it this year. It's worth noting that if you were ever to get anything bigger, it probably won't be as nasty as the .338 to shoot. Because it's on the same action as your '06 and will have the same weight of gun, it'll be much rougher, while even a .375 wouldn't be as harsh, since it'll come from a heavier gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

FISMA

Where you shooting from the bench or prone?

Anything .30-06 and above sure does kick, unless you put a 32 inch barrel on it and weigh it down with lead ;)

I remember firing off 50 .44 mag rounds as the Gal who signed me onto the range was there and I felt Obliged to show my prowess.:o

She was one of those short barreled .44 mags and my hands were in bits afterwards.
    I learned that anyone who fired .44mag never fired more than a cyl at a time, and usually fired them last :D

.338 is Ouch ;)

• Advertisement

The trick to any big rifle is not to overshoot with it. Half a box at a time with the .338 is plenty.
    True, I probably shot too much of the 30-06. Again, it was one of those days. I think the form just wasn't there. I should just slow down.
    I'd use a sling on this, to be honest, ditch the bipod. A nice tight slung position will absorb some of the recoil for you too.
    I was shooting off of the sandbag. Will have to go with the sling tomorrow.
    The .223 would be even better to be honest, and lots of .22 rimfire.
    Actually, I had the 223 with me. I just got it back from the factory as she was having a problem closing the bolt. I put a round in and guess what, the bolt didn't want to close! :mad:
    ... and fire three or four shots from three or four different positions and distances you'd take a shot at an animal. You know yourself; small groups are nice, but they're pretty meaningless.
    True for me, what's shot is for the pot as a good man from this board once said - GRHS.
    Just enjoy the rifle and bring home something big with it this year.
    This year will be hunting in Eire only. Maybe if a few of ye lads ever head over here we'll go for an elk!
    FISMA
    Where you shooting from the bench or prone?

Bench with sandbag. The bipod would not properly fit the 338, but did work well on the 30-06. I like the kneeling shots. The Harris 13-27 works well.
    Anything .30-06 and above sure does kick, unless you put a 32 inch barrel on it and weigh it down with lead wink.gif

I am a bit spoiled over here with ammo. I have to say that I normally feed my firearms Remington green box. I only started the Superformance because of you Tack!

I used to cringe at the price of Superformance until I bought a few boxes of 30-06 in Eire! I think that hurt more than the 338 kick.

We shoot the 30-06's all day long. We've had hundred round days of 30-06 and 8mm mauser with no problem. I think I was taken back by the 338.
    I remember firing off 50 .44 mag rounds as the Gal who signed me onto the range was there and I felt Obliged to show my prowess.redface.gif
    I think anything mag is gonna kick. I like the 357mag. The 44 is just too expensive. Fun to shoot though. My uncle used to call them headbangers as new shooters would often hit their forehead with the barrel because of recoil. I think the 50cal handguns are the new headbangers.

I'll shoot here again tomorrow and see if she still has the kick or if I am just, what's the word in Irish that Grandma used to say? Stop your [phonetically] grawl shalling?

Thanks Lads

Never hit my head, I did see quite a few guys do that though, especially guys who were used to shooting .22lr

I personally find shooting prone easiest as I do so much of it, I also use a mod on both rifles which really does tame recoil.

I know yee yanks think Mod's are for Pussy's
    But don't knock a pussy until you try some ;)
    If I fired my 12g from the bench I know there would be a big diff than swinging at a bird.

Even if I could get a .338, I don't think I would bother, not too many Buffalo around here :D

It'll still kick, but you'll develop techniques and coping mechanisms to let you practise with it, and you'll never feel it in the field. It's a well made gun, and not a lightweight, so you won't suffer overly. Just think in terms of practical drills, rather than bench and group shooting, and you won't fatigue yourself overly. The .338 is a good round for big game, and a big chunk of lead has a lot to be said for it.

Big difference when you can shoot with no hearing protection, far more natural for the shooter, much more relaxed

I know yee yanks think Mod's are for Pussy's
    Not at all. I think in the States the general feeling is that Mod's are for assassins! Seriously, I think they are frowned upon because of crime. To get a license would be thousands of dollars - IF, it could even be gotten.
    If I fired my 12g from the bench I know there would be a big diff than swinging at a bird.
    I just got a fully rifled cantilever scoped barrel for the 870 and cannot wait to shoot some slugs! Should be fun.

Still reading up on sabots and slugs. There appears to be concern for some barrels (with chokes) shooting one or the other, maybe both.
    Even if I could get a .338, I don't think I would bother, not too many Buffalo around here biggrin.gif
    True, but you never know. I bet if you could walk to the sioppa, throw down €xxxx.xx, and walk out with a perfect Sako Finnbear, you'd have one tomorrow. It's x'd out to avoid price depression!

Also, you never know when an opportunity is going to come up. One of those, grab your gear and go.

She'd be useful for the big whitetails out west at greater distances. Definitely the tool for Elk outside of 300ya.
    It'll still kick, but you'll develop techniques and coping mechanisms to let you practise with it, and you'll never feel it in the field.
    Very true. I probably am too used to the 30-06.
    It's a well made gun, and not a lightweight, so you won't suffer overly.

Only one regret - that I didn't get her in 30-06, 270, or 7mm Rem Mag. However, a deal is a deal. She popped up in 338WinMag and that's that.

Do Irish shooters know about the Garcia stamped Sakos? I think they were American importers so it may not have affected Irish firearms.

From what I have read, Garcia Importers kind of did their own thing with the Sakos and shooters were not exactly impressed.

In the States, people seem to want to avoid Garcias and go for "Bofors" steel stamps instead.
    The .338 is a good round for big game, and a big chunk of lead has a lot to be said for it.
    As a matter of principle, I will have to get her out west for at least a shot at some big game.

I'll need help gralloching an elk lads...
    record_elk.jpg
    Where would you start? Better hope he doesn't fall into a crevasse, lake, or anything but the back of your pickup.
    crackkills3.jpg

You just need someone else when it comes to the big game. Those outfitters are just too darn expensive though.

• Advertisement

Nothing stopping you buying another one in a chambering you like to accompany it. ;) Can never own too many quality rifles.

Here's a lovely .270. Your next Sako? ;)

FISMA, feck buying a new Sako, get yourself an older gun. I'll throw a few Gunbroker links below, see how you like it. The .338 would be my recommendation if you want to step up from the 7mm. It does bring a lot extra to the table, which the .300 won't.

Try this
    Or this
    Or maybe this.

Personally, I love the Sakos. They're an incredible rifle, and not much else holds up to it in terms of feeling so capable. You certainly wouldn't be disappointed with one.
    Nothing stopping you buying another one in a chambering you like to accompany it. wink.gif Can never own too many quality rifles.

Here's a lovely .270. Your next Sako? wink.gif

It wasn't me! - I think you should go into the gun selling business! That would be a nice record - two in one thread!

I'll have to check Google - cache to see if one I bought one of your first recommendations .

Thanks for the new link, but the old gun fund is depleted. Yes, don't laugh, I always keep a few $'s for good buys.

That 270 looks nice, but I think he's being a bit generous with the "like new" description. If it were like new, I would expect the crown to be fine and the stock to be clean - like the one I got.

Here's a few images, they are low quality. I'll get some better ones tomorrow.

The seller really helped though. He described it literally as show room new and said I could return it if not 100% guaranteed.

That's a nice bit of walnut on yours. Not too dark, lets the richness of the grain show through really well. Looks a big cushiony recoil pad too. Lovely rifle.

That's a nice bit of walnut on yours. Not too dark, lets the richness of the grain show through really well.
    It's exactly the way I like them!
    Looks a big cushiony recoil pad too.
    Apparently not enough the other day!

Lovely rifle.
    Thanks and I'm glad I took your advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

FISMA

.......... the Gal who signed me onto the range was there and I felt Obliged to show my prowess.:o

She was one of those short barreled .44 mags and my hands were in bits afterwards..........

Bet they were! Personally, I find 36C more than adequate, my mitts would not extend to 44s. On a short barrelled gal they would be OTT and she, like them, would be best avoided.:D:D
    Classic, Tack;);)

Best,
    Pedro

Bet they were! Personally, I find 36C more than adequate, my mitts would not extend to 44s. On a short barrelled gal they would be OTT and she, like them, would be best avoided.:D:D
    Classic, Tack;);)

Best,
    Pedro

What ever could you mean pedro ;)

Classic, Tack;);)

Best,
    Pedro

I can't believe I was just about to google 36C.

I couldn't figure out what caliber it was!!!:confused:

I think I'll google it anyhow...

36-24-36? Ha ha, only if she's 5'3". - Sir Tack a Lot

FISMA wrote: »
    I can't believe I was just about to google 36C.

I couldn't figure out what caliber it was!!!:confused:

I think I'll google it anyhow...

36-24-36? Ha ha, only if she's 5'3". - Sir Tack a Lot

Wanna tell you a story
    'Bout a woman I know
    Ah, come to lovin'
    Ooh, she steals the show
    She ain't exactly pretty
    Ain't exactly small
    Forty-two, thirty-nine, fifty-six
    You could say she's got it all!

Sorry could not resist, name the song and show yer age Boys :D

FISMA, I would be very impressed if you know it without googling ;)

Wanna tell you a story
    'Bout a woman I know
    Ah, come to lovin'
    Ooh, she steals the show
    She ain't exactly pretty
    Ain't exactly small
    Forty-two, thirty-nine, fifty-six
    You could say she's got it all!

Sorry could not resist, name the song and show yer age Boys :D

FISMA, I would be very impressed if you know it without googling ;)
    Whole lotta Rosie - AC/DC.

C'mon, that was easy!

FISMA wrote: »
    Whole lotta Rosie - AC/DC.

C'mon, that was easy!

I did not think they were as big in yank land ;)

I might be stateside after Christmas, must get me a goooo ouf that Pile Driver of a rifle of yours ;)

• Advertisement

I did not think they were as big in yank land ;)
    What? They were huge! I remember how disappointed we were to find out they weren't home grown - funny how people don't have accents when they sing.
    I might be stateside after Christmas, must get me a goooo ouf that Pile Driver of a rifle of yours wink.gif

My pleasure. I have a few boxes of Superformance here waiting. She really is a specialty gun. At $50 a box, she's not something you're going to shoot alot. I can only imagine what the life of the barrel is - 2500 rounds?

I think ItWasn'tMe is right. I am going to cutback on the amount of ammo I shoot. I think a box of 20 on any day is more than enough for 30-06. Less for a 338WinMag. But the 223 - let fly!

PM'd
    FISMA, I would be very impressed if you know it without googling
    I think I have the original cassette!

I used to have it on the 45 ;)

And I don't mean Colt lol

Advertisement