Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyke Rd. graffiti

Options
  • 10-04-2011 7:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Took this pic of some fantastic graffiti art yesterday in the Dyke Rd. underpass. Would anyone have any clue who the artist might be? Hope the council leave it up for a while!

oh, and just in case they're boardies, a major thanks to the three fellas who helped me out when I came off the bike on Thursday night! Thanks lads!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

It must have something to do with Galway United as it says 'Galway United' beside it prob done by the same artist and if that's the case, i'm sure the club got permission to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

I was about to give out about vandals, but ... holy crap, that's fairly cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭OldSchool94

The part to the right is the chap that paints the yellow center in westside every year and I believe that character is done by his friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/baqs/5595235577/in/photostream/

Twas either done by <snipped at request> or one of his mates, as <snipped at request> tag is right beside it. Amazing artist this guy is.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

baldshin wrote: »
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/baqs/5595235577/in/photostream/

Twas either done by <snipped at request> or one of his mates, as <snipped at request> tag is right beside it. Amazing artist this guy is.

There some amazing stuff over in the ball alley in Silverstrand. Normally changed about twice a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,907 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Graffiti is class when it's done properly...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I took this beside the BoI on Eyre Street the day after Paddy's

Not amazingly artistic like the one in the OP but I like it!

faebf9a7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Was out at Sally's last night and was thinking that the wall opposite the back door would really benefit from having some nice graffiti done.

Would tie in nicely with the badass exterior of Sally's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Thought you were talking about the IMF SCUM OUT thing at the gravestone cutter's when I clicked the thread. I've been puzzled by that for some time now, but yeah, that lion's cool. Actual graffiti art like that deserves to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Fresco_

Massive fan of street art or 'graffiti' as some people call it.

Some proper artists out there, got to love it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

<snipped at request> is amazing. Would really love to see more of it around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭philbo

Graffiti is incredible, the important thing is to differentiate between actual artists and the tagging sh*te that gets plastered all over the place. People who run around just writing a name on a wall are the most annoying thing going.

The actual artists on the other hand should be encouraged. some of the stuff you'll find is amazing, and it can really bring character to a street, especially if it's something you just stumble upon unexpectedly. There's a lot of cities that set aside areas for people to create, as part of parks, or other public areas.

And just a note to add, I'm not involved in Graffiti at all, and have no interest in doing it myself. I just like the stuff!

There was once upon a time where there was a section of Galway where people were encouraged to graffiti, wasn't there? I remember there being some amazing pieces.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

There was once upon a time where there was a section of Galway where people were encouraged to graffiti, wasn't there? I remember there being some amazing pieces.

There were boards erected around claddagh park for budding graffiti artists. Dunno what the story is with them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Tagging looks rubbish, graffiti art I really like, I think it gives a place character. What really annoys me are people tagging over art like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

This was approved from the galway arts council. Great work of street art, the people who do this never take part of tagging/badly done work, they are very proud of what they do and spend a lot of time thinking and painting their work.

Behind roisin dubh, pump lane used to be the "semi legal wall" for street artist to erect good peices, were the artist would maintain it, chaning it every few weeks/months and not make it look ugly. However over the last 2 years a bangardai investigated into it and found out that it wasnt legal, so now its left unmaintained and looking quite bad. For fear of being arrested.

Work is being done to get written permission from the owner of the wall to allow certain artist to maintain the wall. The owner has allowed it, but they want it written for more proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Columc wrote: »
    Behind roisin dubh, pump lane used to be the "semi legal wall" for street artist to erect good peices, were the artist would maintain it, chaning it every few weeks/months and not make it look ugly. However over the last 2 years a bangardai investigated into it and found out that it wasnt legal, so now its left unmaintained and looking quite bad. For fear of being arrested.

Work is being done to get written permission from the owner of the wall to allow certain artist to maintain the wall. The owner has allowed it, but they want it written for more proof.

Do you reckon it was something personal with some of the street artists and the garda? You single her out as a bangarda, so it sounds like you're familiar with what happened, and say that she was doing an investigation over two years? Sounds like there was some kind of a battle? I wonder is there more to this, as a release sig from the owner is easy enough.
    I hope it goes through anyway. Better maintained street art just opens more people up to the option of having it, and not see it as vandalism.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Do you reckon it was something personal with some of the street artists and the garda?

Generally the gardai dont mind the artsists, of course if they were doing something illegal it is for the gardai to maintain and uphold the law. However regarding pump lane it was always looked to the side with the wall. The artists thought it was a legal wall for years, and so did the gardai, noting ever went wrong in the area. And it gave an area for the artist and new artist that wanted to get into it a go and painting a wall with little fear of anything and if the young artist did do something bad generally a new peice would be up within a week or two.
    You single her out as a bangarda, so it sounds like you're familiar with what happened, and say that she was doing an investigation over two years?

I'm not an artist, I just like looking and viewing it. But I have been informed on what happened, I also have dealt with this gardai befor were she acted quite aggresive and gave me a parking ticket which I went to court to get it revoked because I was not in the wrong and she would not listen. It wasnt an investigation, she just dug into the matter to see if the wall was legal(becuase the artist have been painting there for years and always thought it was legal, and so did most of the gardai) She found out it wasnt legal, and the next time someone painted there, she arrested the people and confesgated all their paints.

Sounds like there was some kind of a battle? I wonder is there more to this, as a release sig from the owner is easy enough.

The reason it is taking so long is due to a number of reasons, firstly it was to try and find out who owned the the actual wall, as it is the back of the paradise club, but is connected with 2/3 of the other shops. The next part was to find the owner of the actual building. From what I am aware the Arts Council is trying to get this from the person, but its just another task on their list that isnt on high prioirty so the street artists still need to pressure the arts council to get it, while also trying to get other jobs(shop street/volvo ocean race/dyke road/salthill/youth club lessons ect ect)

I hope it goes through anyway. Better maintained street art just opens more people up to the option of having it, and not see it as vandalism.

Fully agree, proper street art that you can see people putting a lot of time and effort into looks fantastic, of course the people who done the dyke road have been to college and have been doing this between 8-12 years, and you have to have a open mind were young artist want to try and work away they wont be fantastic straight away but practice makes perfect.

This is why Galway do need a legal sort wall which is controlled and mainitained, were young artist can practice their work on this wall isntead of going around doing ugly peices arond the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The other thinG to remember is that art is truly in the eye of the beholder. We can recognise skill in a kind of mainstream way, but the odd time, 'genius' is not liked at first viewing. ;)
    I'd love to see a couple of 'canvas walls' maybe a bit off the beaten track, where it's whitewashed every couple of weeks and anything goes. Saw a project like that elsewhere and it was brilliant for young artists.

• Advertisement

The other thinG to remember is that art is truly in the eye of the beholder. We can recognise skill in a kind of mainstream way, but the odd time, 'genius' is not liked at first viewing. ;)

Fully agree, what some people may think of art other people may think otherwise.
    I'd love to see a couple of 'canvas walls' maybe a bit off the beaten track, where it's whitewashed every couple of weeks and anything goes. Saw a project like that elsewhere and it was brilliant for young artists.

The main thing with this is a location, there are loads of youth who would be intrested in this I say and it is a fantastic idea, but actualy getting a space is the main problem. I do know that a lot of youth centers and clubs have hired some of the more known artist to do a course in graffaiti, but actualy maintaing a permentant wall is difficult.

I do know that out in the barna handball alley(opposite the church) there are some big peices being done there with the older artist, but they also work with the younger artist giving them tips. The locals who live around there always pop in when people are painting to watch and the artists are respectful of the players who play their by not ruining the markings and will leave if players want to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I always pass these by and this thread inspired me to take pics of them, on a power unit in Rivendell looking at the top of Taylors hill/school.

40AB717C54FF47A4BB166A4C5A3AB1A8-0000336624-0002266727-00500L-8F205374A9DC4E8CA000E1413726888F.jpg

9EC0D54F040A4C229C846477B1220537-0000336624-0002266728-00500L-A574F1F46EA846F0BB1EDD1F684C2815.jpg

BB73E8B687BC487FA470239F5A8071CE-0000336624-0002266729-00500L-10596F7D83D2467889525DC24D589F73.jpg

No I am not here :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

was walking the dyke road underpass when they were doing it. thought they were vandals, but was impressed by their work. it looks a lot better when you see it for real

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

There are some very talanted artists that work in this area in Galway.

Wouldnt it be cool if they were commissioned to do something inspiring out by the Knocknacarra Dunnes stores over where the racist ass munches scribble dribble in spray cans..
    ITs those morans that give street art a bad name!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WallysWorld

jkforde wrote: »
    Took this pic of some fantastic graffiti art yesterday in the Dyke Rd. underpass. Would anyone have any clue who the artist might be? Hope the council leave it up for a while!

oh, and just in case they're boardies, a major thanks to the three fellas who helped me out when I came off the bike on Thursday night! Thanks lads!

Did you fall on the bridge down by the Spanish Arch? If so that was me!

Advertisement