Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you set up a dummy facebook account?

• 10-04-2011 8:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭

I am not a social media person, heck I'm not even a huge social person but with the prevalence of facebook, I would like a blank account, nothing about me, but just so that I can follow some djs and other interests of mine. When I click on links the FB notice comes up that you are not signed in etc. I follow these people on twitter but 140 characters limits the info so would like to go to FB pages which much of them seem to keep up to date. I don't broadcast on Twitter, just follow people of interest anonymously , just want to do the same with Facebook.
    How do I go about this or is it even possible. I am concerned about Facebook security so don't want to put any "real" details.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I cant believe you didn't just try to set one up - and instead came to boards to ask for permission (if you can set up a facebook page) ??

are people really that insecure/lazy ?

yes - you can start your own facebook page - and do not have to regularly visit it or use much of your own details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Thanks, laziness is the scourge of the net, I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Yes just set one up and use it for whatever purpose! I'm not entirely sure why you need to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Thanks again, i suppose i have been a bit prejudiced since I never got involved in it and having heard so much about security issues, changing privacy settings, are your details passed on etc. And yes, of course I understand the argument that if you put your life on the web you have to understand that you can be targeted or have things you said taken out of context. For all those reasons, I have not even looked at the startpage, the FB is evil thing kinda rubbed off on me a bit. Was curious about other people's concerns before I started signing up, that's all. In this forum, presumably full of people who deal with the social network thing on a daily basis, I realize I may seem a bit crazy but I suppose as an 'outsider' I just want to be a bit cautious. I am also kinda realizing that so many people have put up so much personal stuff and pictures etc at this stage maybe privacy is becoming a thing of the past and nobody really cares either way. Wow, reading over that it all sounds a bit serious, really should just get on with the following my interests thing, leave the debate for another day. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

Just create an account as you and tweak the privacy settings so that nothing is shared with people you haven't connected with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Don't forget that most DJs and bands will have "pages" which are publicly viewable without being a member or logged in to Facebook. It's only when you go to interact with the content that you will need to be member or logged in.

Most DJs/bands will have their public FB pages listed on their web sites.

You can set up a genuine 'you' profile without any photos and lock down your privacy settings so not even your friends will know it's you.

Advertisement