Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a treadmil worth it?

Options
  • 10-04-2011 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have an option of buying a treadmil from a friend for a fraction of the price it should cost, but I dont know is it worth it or will it become an expensive coat hanger!
    Does anyone have one? Do you use it? Would you recommend getting one?
    I'm a beginner runner and have missed runs due to lack of babysitters and think I'd use it but my husband reckons its a waste of money.
    It originally cost over €1000 and she said she's happily sell it for €200!!!!!!!!! :eek: (she bought it together with an ex and he's moved country and doesnt want it, its now taking up half her kitchen and she wants rid of it, its in perfect condition)
    Anyone have any advice or an opinion on the subject of treadmils?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

It depends. Lots of people will say no, waste of money... run outside etc but to be honest mine has been a lifesaver. Like you there are times when I just can't get out to run with kids etc. It also keeps me ticking over through the winter when outdoor running just isn't possible for me. However the words to focus on there are "ticking over" as it certainly isn't a substitute and you should still try to get as many outside runs as you can in.

There again, it depends on what your goals are. My husband only ever runs on the treadmill and is perfectly happy with that. Ours certainly hasn't been a waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I would be the same as littlebug, the treadmill is a lifesaver when you have children. We got ours pretty cheaply in an Elvery's sale and I have gotten a lot of use out of it. Mine is in the garage so doesnt take up space in the house. Its great to be able to leave my daughter in her room or in front of the tv and pop out for a half hour when I wouldnt leave her to run on the road. Even in the summer I tend to run on it once a week or so and it came in very handy over the winter with the icy roads.

I also have a stationary bike and rowing machine which never get used but the treadmill has definitely paid for itself by now.

Advertisement