Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this eucalyptus tree dead?

Options
  • 10-04-2011 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi Folks

In my mothers garden there is a c.30 year old eucalyptus tree - last summer it was in great condition and relatively large. In the autumn she then had a hair brained notion that it should be trimmed (hacked in this case) back and allowed to grow again. She even had it done when my father was out of the house as she knew he'd hit the roof.

Anyway, whats done is done we were hoping the tree would be begin to bud again this year. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be much in the way of growth. I am attaching some photos - could anybody guess if the tree is a goner or is there any hope of it reviving later this season or next year?

Thanks
    Thomas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Damer

eucalyptus are generally quite good at re-sprouting, but your mum may have pushed it a little too far! I'd leave it for another while and hope that some dormant buds burst into life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Probably in severe shock but should recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Scrape a small bit of bark off and see is it green/sappy underneath. If it is dry and dull looking it is probably gone, but I would give it 12 months. Maybe grow a honeysuckle or montana clematis up it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

30yr old tree is hard too kill, looks like severe pollard but should be okay and new shoots should appear...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Grannie Annie

Hi,
    I have some 25-30 yr old Eucalyptus trees which have been damaged with the hard frosts over the witer. There doesn't seem to be any new growth on them at the moment only dead leaves. Is it possible for them to recover or should they be cut down:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 sdigby

I have 2 30 yr old eucalyptus trees which have never had any problem before! I live in Athlone and we had severe frost and snow here. All the leaves are dead and falling off! We also had a Grisellinia hedge killed (not unexpected) and about 10 bulletproof Phormiums (new zealand flax). So it was a once in 30 yr winter. Could the eucalyptuses be gone? Any opinions please?

Advertisement