Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky connected to phone line

• 10-04-2011 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Is there any way around this? I have a 2nd box in a bedroom and it's not connected to phone line. Sky have sent me letter saying if I dont connect it to one I'll be charged a 2nd full subscription for the 2nd box aswell. Besides the obvious of connecting it to a phone line, is there any way I wont have to connect it and avoid being charged twice? I'm thinking of telling them I'll get it taken out if they charge me twice (which I will do if they do.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Yeh whats the reasoning behind them charging you? Ive two sky boxes and neither are connected to a phoneline, i would connect one of them from time to time to order something thats about it never heard anything from them about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Yeh whats the reasoning behind them charging you?
    Well it's part of the T&C's I think. Because I've multi-room that is. Don't know why you're getting away with it, perhaps when you connect it every now and again it dials it so they haven't noticed.

Just wondering how to avoid being charged twice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

It's to stop you from lending your cheap subscription multiroom box to someone else. See http://sam-radford.me.uk/multiroom.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I got that letter before. I rang them up and told them the engineers never hooked up the phoneline to the box which they didn't. I told them if they want to send over an engineer to fix this that would be fine but I won't be paying a call out fee. They said "okay we may get back to you on that" but 4 months later, no extra charge and no other notice from Sky.

If they did charge me, I wouldn't pay it because when they installed Sky initially, I specifically asked the engineer "should the box be hooked up to the phoneline?" He said it would take a lot of work to re-wire the place and wasn't necessary anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

used to get them letters - got about 4 i think. cos we got our homephone set to incoming calls only - two mobiles with plenty minutes in the house so the outgoing calls we were paying for and whatnot was unnecessary. so yes they sent us letters telling us to reconnect.

we never did, they never pursued it!

• Advertisement

hdowney wrote: »
    used to get them letters - got about 4 i think. cos we got our homephone set to incoming calls only - two mobiles with plenty minutes in the house so the outgoing calls we were paying for and whatnot was unnecessary. so yes they sent us letters telling us to reconnect.

we never did, they never pursued it!

Just do a call back from both boxes and that should sort it. It means having to connect the box whilst the call is made but after that simply disconnect again.

When you get a letter again do the same thing. Its just proof that the box is at your house. I have received 2 letters in 4 years and I just do a call back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Just do a call back from both boxes and that should sort it. It means having to connect the box whilst the call is made but after that simply disconnect again.

When you get a letter again do the same thing. Its just proof that the box is at your house. I have received 2 letters in 4 years and I just do a call back.

i don't get them anymore - but if i did, callback would be impossible when the phone doesn't dial out

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

Just tell them that you have your landline with Perlico, Vodafone i.e anyone other than Eircom, because believe it or not with mutli room its not possible to do callbacks unless your landline is Eircom!!! And not many of the Sky customer care reps are aware of this either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Just tell them that you have your landline with Perlico, Vodafone i.e anyone other than Eircom, because believe it or not with mutli room its not possible to do callbacks unless your landline is Eircom!!! And not many of the Sky customer care reps are aware of this either!
    Anyone else know if this is true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ratedR

Not true. We're with UPC for the phone. When the sky "engineer" was finished installing the dish and 2 boxes for us last year, he nearly had a sh 1t attack when I informed him that we were with UPC for the phone. Had a big smug head on him telling me that "theres no way this will work". It did of course, although he was adamant that it was the first time he'd ever seen it work.

I don't understand why it wouldn't anyway ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MrSneeg

sky are obsessed with phone lines,
    its all part of what you are watching,

market research,

where to place the ads,( or the sublte message )

over 10,000,000 idiots paying for nonsence thats mainly free on the BBC or RTE,

WHY do people have such an obsesion with pay TV ?

mr Murdoch & NWO,

google it and WAKE UP !!

DIGITAL EUROPE

leave channels 60 to 68 free so we can scan you at the airport without hurting / or you noticing,

chip me i'm free, HA f*ckin ha

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

ratedR wrote: »
    Not true. We're with UPC for the phone. When the sky "engineer" was finished installing the dish and 2 boxes for us last year, he nearly had a sh 1t attack when I informed him that we were with UPC for the phone. Had a big smug head on him telling me that "theres no way this will work". It did of course, although he was adamant that it was the first time he'd ever seen it work.

I don't understand why it wouldn't anyway ??

All i know is I had 3 weeks of complete bullcrap between the Sierra engineer and Sky when getting multiroom installed because the boxes wouldnt call back on the vodafone line. Eventually Sky allowed the install without the callback facility but I cant order box office or anything through the remote, I have to ring them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭BobMc

was considering a move to sky (currently have UPC MMDS) the phone line thing is pissing me off, no problem having main living room box connected easy enough to connect to main phone line junction box, but there's no way I'm having them trying to run cable to a playroom and up to a bedroom, is there any way around this beside the disconnect and call back crap, Sky rep was adamant all had to be connected, should I try a rep in a shopping ctr as opposed to phoning sky, and who will I get a better deal with ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

BobMc wrote: »
    but there's no way I'm having them trying to run cable to a playroom and up to a bedroom,

you can get a plug-in phone extender instead of cable

http://mobile.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=97658

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Greg82

BobMc wrote: »
    was considering a move to sky (currently have UPC MMDS) the phone line thing is pissing me off, no problem having main living room box connected easy enough to connect to main phone line junction box, but there's no way I'm having them trying to run cable to a playroom and up to a bedroom, is there any way around this beside the disconnect and call back crap, Sky rep was adamant all had to be connected, should I try a rep in a shopping ctr as opposed to phoning sky, and who will I get a better deal with ?
    Phone cable can bu run outside along tv cable

Advertisement