Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest place to buy dog worming tablets?

• 10-04-2011 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi all,

Time to worm the mutts again. Normally I stock up when in the States, but have run out. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to where the best value is to buy them, be it online or in a pet shop/chemist/vet.
    I'm based in Dublin.
    Cheers
    Amberjack

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

www.medicanimal.com is a great place to stock up on bits and bobs (wormers, fleaers etc.). Some products are prescription only (instructions on the site about her to sort this out) but there are off perscription wormers available. Worth a look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Some of the drug companies do promos through vets sometimes- probably worth phoning your local vet and asking about 4 for the price of 3 (year supply) on worm tablets.
    Personally, I'd stay away from the non prescription worm tabs as I really don't think they're as effective and with the rise of lungworm I'd advise a product that covers that as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Wisco wrote: »
    Some of the drug companies do promos through vets sometimes- probably worth phoning your local vet and asking about 4 for the price of 3 (year supply) on worm tablets.
    Personally, I'd stay away from the non prescription worm tabs as I really don't think they're as effective and with the rise of lungworm I'd advise a product that covers that as well.

Frontline is a non prescription flea treatment and Drontal is a non prescription wormer, so some non prescription products are good. I do think, however, the stuff that is sold in supermarkets etc. are not worth the packing they come in. To buy stuff online that is prescription only is quite straight forward, esp for things like wormer - vets are obligated to give a prescription for medication if you are not buying them on site so getting them to fill in a form isn't too bad (plus so much cheaper than buying in the vets!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Not a supermarket! What a pile of crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

I get mine in an independent local chemist. Quarter the price of the local vet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Frontline is a non prescription flea treatment and Drontal is a non prescription wormer, so some non prescription products are good. I do think, however, the stuff that is sold in supermarkets etc. are not worth the packing they come in. To buy stuff online that is prescription only is quite straight forward, esp for things like wormer - vets are obligated to give a prescription for medication if you are not buying them on site so getting them to fill in a form isn't too bad (plus so much cheaper than buying in the vets!)

This is true, but my experience with drontal is that it's not as good a product as the POM wormers, nor is it as comprehensive (ie, doesn't cover lungworm). Ordinary Frontline is not POM but Frontline Combo (which I use) is.
    My main fear of buying stuff on the internet would be that it's potentially counterfeit and not safe. Anyone know what kind of quality control/regulation there is on that sort of stuff? As I'd never buy meds for myself online, I couldn't do it for my pets either.

Advertisement