Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gresham metropole, Maldron or Jury's Inn?

Options
  • 10-04-2011 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Heading to Cork next weekend and have found these three hotels to be within my budget. Can anyone tell me which is the nicest/best of these hotels to stay in. Trip advisor rates the gresham as the best but it looks very old fashioned to me!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Have you tried the Special offers page for the Imperial Hotel, I know it's not one of the one's you've found but it's location is much better than them and it's a great hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 FredsMom

Ya had a look..its a little bit more than the other three hotels for room only and kinda want to keep it at 100eur max for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

FredsMom wrote: »
    Heading to Cork next weekend and have found these three hotels to be within my budget. Can anyone tell me which is the nicest/best of these hotels to stay in. Trip advisor rates the gresham as the best but it looks very old fashioned to me!

Thanks in advance

No brainer, Gresham Metropole would be best in my opinion, the hotel isn't really old fashioned, it has an old style decor but it is high quality furnishings and is really nice and a little plush, the staff are great and it's far better than the other 2 options you listed. It's only a few mins from Patrick Street too.

Jurys Inn is dated and the location of the Maldron (previously the Quality Hotel) is not good in comparison to the Metropole.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Jury's Inn wouldn't be my first choice. The rooms are IMHO a step up from a Travelodge. Have you considered the Ambassador? Place has been under new management for the last year or two, and it's actually quite good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

No brainer, Gresham Metropole would be best in my opinion, the hotel isn't really old fashioned, it has an old style decor but it is high quality furnishings and is really nice and a little plush, the staff are great and it's far better than the other 2 options you listed. It's only a few mins from Patrick Street too.

Jurys Inn is dated and the location of the Maldron (previously the Quality Hotel) is not good in comparison to the Metropole.

I'd echo this. Metropole, nice simple city centre hotel. Much nicer location than the other two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Olidolly

another vote for the Metropole...location alone would make it a winner for me. Ambassador might be ok but it's a bit of a hike from town (and a steep uphill all the way back).
    Agree with posts on Maldron - forget that. Jury's Inn ditto - location is good as are prices I am sure but they are full to the brim with stags and hens every weekend and consequently you have no guarantee of a nights sleep.
    Enjoy the weekend here !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Metropole is a better class of hotel compared to the Maldron - that said I can't say enough about Jury's Parnell Inn Dublin but never (obviously, being from Cork!) stayed in a Cork one. Metropole is a little old fashioned looking but parts have been renovated and I'd describe it as classy rather than dated. To be honest all 3 hotels will have you in city centre in 5 minutes so don't think that's an issue. Ambassador is actually really nice as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Another option would be Lancaster Lodge. You'd get breakfast included there for €100 or less per night. No bar/restaurant AFAIK but it'd be grand place to stay for a night or 2.

http://www.lancasterlodge.com/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Metropole, Metropole, Metropole! Chess congress is held there every year, always well looked after, nicely located, not too expensive and very comfortable. Forget the Ambassador, it's too far. River Lee Hotel if it's within budget is also nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

For me The Metropole would be well down the list. I had some (Business) friends down from Drogheda fairly recently and they had an horrific time there. A small dark room in the older part of the Hotel and disgraceful treatment from the Night Porter, that we witnessed.
    In fairness to them, having sent a written complaint on their return home they were offered a free room and meal for a return visit. The wife of the partnership however refuses point blank to take them up on it - it was that bad. This is a couple BTW that are so laid back they wouldn't even complain if their house burned down!!

Up to that I probably would have recommended either that or The Maldron. The Imperial or The Clarion would probably be my hotel of choice if they were within budget though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

lol@The Ambassador being too far. I love Cork people and the phrase too far. If something's on Washington Street, it's too far. If it's on South Terrace, it's too far. If it's on North Main Street it's too far. Anything outside Grand Parade/Paul Street/Oliver Plunkett Street/Patrick Street is too far.

The Ambassador is about a 3 minute taxi drive in and out of town. Cheap as chips. The walk down no more than 15 minutes and it's all downhill.

Just want to say thanks everybody! Booked the Gresham metropole in the end. Checked out the ambassador. It was really good value but just a little too far. I would not normally class this as too far as it isn't really, I walk about 5km everyday to get to and from work, but I don't know Cork very well and don't want to be too far from the centre as I will be walking everywhere and I dont want to get lost!! haha!

http://www.helena-ag-cniotail.blogspot.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 velissavnavi

Though everyone is entitled to their opinion, I have never had any reason what so ever to complain from the Jurys Inn and I have used them on several occasions. Sure, it's no Hilton, but then, if you wanted the Hilton, that is where you would go. Just speaking from experience, here, but I find the people and their attitudes make a big difference, and that is where I have always been most impressed

Though everyone is entitled to their opinion, I have never had any reason what so ever to complain from the Jurys Inn and I have used them on several occasions. Sure, it's no Hilton, but then, if you wanted the Hilton, that is where you would go. Just speaking from experience, here, but I find the people and their attitudes make a big difference, and that is where I have always been most impressed

You know I think it looks like a nice find, but the commute into town might be a bit too much for the OP ...

tommy21 wrote: »
    You know I think it looks like a nice find, but the commute into town might be a bit too much for the OP ...

I really don't get this comment at all?!

Staying at the gresham metropole anyways! Looking forward to the weekend!

If anyone can recommend a nice steak house, mexican or italian place to eat that would be great though! Some place nice and chilled out!

FredsMom wrote: »
    I really don't get this comment at all?!

Staying at the gresham metropole anyways! Looking forward to the weekend!

If anyone can recommend a nice steak house, mexican or italian place to eat that would be great though! Some place nice and chilled out!

Click his link ;)

Hmm some place nice and chilled out -

If you genuinely like mexican - Café Mexicana - I hated it as I dislike that type of food but everyone else loved it.

Italian - Il Padrino's - staff can be a bit gruff but very nice food (pricey though).

Steak - maybe someone else can wade in here, I find it very hit and miss when I go out.

Best overall restaurant and hidden gem: Strasbourg Goose - book a week in advance, tiny place great food great service great prices!

Best atmosphere - the newly opened Electric Bar and Restaurant - bar area is very chilled out as is the outside seats by river - check out their menu online first though in case its not to your liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

tommy21 wrote: »
    Click his link ;)

Hmm some place nice and chilled out -

If you genuinely like mexican - Café Mexicana - I hated it as I dislike that type of food but everyone else loved it.

Italian - Il Padrino's - staff can be a bit gruff but very nice food (pricey though).

Steak - maybe someone else can wade in here, I find it very hit and miss when I go out.

Best overall restaurant and hidden gem: Strasbourg Goose - book a week in advance, tiny place great food great service great prices!

Best atmosphere - the newly opened Electric Bar and Restaurant - bar area is very chilled out as is the outside seats by river - check out their menu online first though in case its not to your liking.

NOT Il Padrino - PLEASE!!!! The food's bloody awful, the staff offhand, and it's overpriced IMO...Go to the Market Lane on Oliver Plunkett St. Decent steaks, good food and well priced. Scott's on the same road is pretty good too! :D

Heh heh maybe, the staff were sort of rude the last time. I did enjoy the food though but we got a special so maybe normal prices are worse. I second Market Lane - Scotts is outrageous though! OP MIlanos (mainly pizzas) is nice too, you should sign up to their newsletter, they are constantly giving away vouchers you can print out to cut costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭One-Day-Juande

Metropole actually does a really decent sirloin steak, it's not cheap but you do get a nice big slab of meat.

Advertisement