Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods deleting posts without explaination.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Also I understand that it may not be necessary to PM someone when you delete he/shes post (I am a fan of common courtesy you see)
    So am I, but the reality is that in a crazy volume forum like AH it would be impossible to do with the current system of volunteer mods.

Even in Leaving Cert, which is the busiest forum I mod, it would be pretty impossible, and (leaving aside the peak-times like Mocks / LC / CAO offers) that forum gets probably 10% of the volume of posts AH does.

Even at that, there is no way in hell I get to read all the threads / posts and I'm sure stuff slips by that should be deleted unless someone reports it.

I will generally not PM a user where the post which merits deletion is white noise / of little substance ... or indeed where any reasonable person *should* know immediately why it was deleted.

However, if there is substance to the post and thought gone into it, and for one reason or another it needs to be deleted, I would normally either comment on thread if appropriate or PM user.

Given the constraints, that seems pretty reasonable to me.
    but when someone requests it I think it is fair to tell them.
    I agree, if they are asking in order to understand and learn then they definitely deserve a response.
    twinQuins wrote: »
    The key is context ...
    Oh, lord, I've said this so often on Boards and in so many different contexts (ha!) I feel like I should get it tattooed on my forehead!! >.<

It's true of so many things in real life as well.

In fact, one of our main news stories in Ireland this week could be summed up by that phrase!! ;)
    All I will say that the report function is all but useless as anytime I have reported one, I never got a response back. I have seen other posters make this point too.
    You should not expect a personal response back.

That's linked to from the "Report post" screen btw, I don't know did you ever click on it.

Again, the reason is the major additional time it would take, as above. If the report merited action, you will often (though not always) see that in an infraction, a ban, or a post on thread from a mod. Sometimes not though ... in some cases, for example, a Mod will PM the user if they feel that's more useful / appropriate. In some cases, they will feel no action is necessary. And all of the above can vary from forum to forum depending on the ethos of that forum. There is a huge difference, for example, in what would be acceptable in AH and what would be acceptable in LC.

Additionally, I don't see why the person reporting the post has any automatic right to know what action was taken (in most cases anyway), although as I said it will often be obvious on-thread.

One way or the other, the person reporting should not normally expect a personal response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Perhaps if instead of deleting we posted a <snip> and a comment that could improve things. However tbh in terms of the aesthetics of reading threads I prefer the delete option when it comes to post count ++ing.

Also, I think that would lead to more issues as users would see it as losing face to some extent if their post remained, content was removed and included was a scolding from a Mod. More than likely the argument from users (and an understandable at times perhaps) would then become: 'well could that Mod not have just deleted the post rather than edit it and PM me that comment rather than berate me in front of the whole thread'.
    Darragh wrote: »
    I agree with you on this but from a technical point of view it's a bit of a headache - it's not built into vBulletin so it's not something we can just switch on.

Not sure if this would be possible or not .. but if it could be enabled that users had the ability to see the 'deleted post message' (when it concerned only their own posts of course and without the 'manage' feature) then this could be used as a way of informing users of: 1) why their posts were deleted; 2) which moderator deleted it and; 3) that they are more that welcome to PM that mod to discuss things further if they wished:

deletedpost22.png

Obviously it would solve the issue of users not knowing which Mod deleted their post and why precisely it was deleted but it would also save Mods having to PM every single user that ever has their posts removed. The 'reason' for deletion tends to get filled in anyway and so it wouldn't be in anyway time consuming either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I have noticed that some of my posts have been getting deleted without explaination.

I am no fan of AH mods in general but this is a new low. It has happened to me in a good few threads so far and even more so recently.

Needless to say I think it is a bit of out of order.

I posted "Cool story bro" (standard jokey AH response) in this thread.

Has anyone else come across this?
    Only seen this thread now.

I deleted your post.

Someone posted a thread asking for help.
    Your post contributed nothing, zero, sweet shag all.

I deleted it.

Get off the band wagon looking for thanks and posting that crap to anything.

No pm sent. Didn't see any reason to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Rabies wrote: »
    Only seen this thread now.

I deleted your post.

Someone posted a thread asking for help.
    Your post contributed nothing, zero, sweet shag all.

I deleted it.

Get off the band wagon looking for thanks and posting that crap to anything.

No pm sent. Didn't see any reason to.

A condescending pointless contribution to this thread.

I have said umpteen times that OTHER posters contributed nothing as well and as it is After hours it is nothing new.

Perhaps if you were doing your moderating properly maybe you could have moved it to the right forum.

I have said umpteen times that OTHER posters contributed nothing as well and as it is After hours it is nothing new.

Perhaps if you were doing your moderating properly maybe you could have moved it to the right forum.

I was on mobile access at the time.
    Deleted your post and then went back to doing what ever.
    Not there to monitor all posts 24/7. There is no clock when I mod.
    I took action on your unhelpful post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It happens loads of times to be fair. I suppose we could find a better way of doing it so the poster knows why the post was removed. Maybe OutlawPete has came up with a good way.

It was in no way personal and as I have said we all do it countless times a day.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Also, I think that would lead to more issues as users would see it as losing face to some extent if their post remains, content removed and included is a scolding from a Mod. More than likely the argument that users would give (and an understandable one at times perhaps) is well could that Mod not have just deleted the post and PM'd me the comment rather than berate me in front of the thread while editing my post .

Not sure if this would be possible or not, but if it could be enabled that users had the ability to view the 'deleted post message' that moderators see (only when it concerned their own posts obviously and without the 'manage' feature) then this could be used as a way of informing users of: 1) just why their posts were deleted; 2) which moderator it was that took that action and; 3) that they were free to PM the moderator to discuss things further if they wished:

deletedpost22.png

It would solve the issue of users not knowing who deleted their posts, why and also of course would save mods having to send PMs to that user. The 'reason' for deletion has to be filled in anyway and so not in anyway time consuming.

Agreed.

This is the point I have been trying to make.

I know it isn't personal, but again, if my post was unhelpful, why was mine the only one deleted? This has yet to be answered.

Also I don't even think it was the right forum for the thread.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I know it isn't personal, but again, if my post was unhelpful, why was mine the only one deleted? This has yet to be answered.

I answered that about 4 times already for you man if you read back.

Agreed.

This is the point I have been trying to make.

Also I don't even think it was the right forum for the thread.

It was deleted cos it was a pointless meme. There are many more deleted from different threads but you can't see them because it is deleted.

Also OutLawPete's way is slightly flawed as only mods can see what his screen shot shows. The post would need to be edited and the post removed and replaced with MOD Edit: or something similar and not deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I think this thread has run its course.

@gunsfortoys: you've had the answer multiple times form the mods of the forum. You seem to want it to be a vendetta against you so thats the answer you're holding out for. In this case, I think I'm happy to disappoint you :)

@outlawpete: that would be a nice solution. yay! feedback works! :)

• Advertisement

Nice little dig here.

This forum would be much better without the little digs thrown around by twats some moderators behind a computer.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Not all meme type posts are deleted, some are missed, some are let go because they can be funny in a certain context and there could well have been other deleted posts on that thread or other threads, you wouldn't know, only the mods would.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Nice little dig here.

This forum would be much better without the little digs thrown around by twats some moderators behind a computer.

Good luck.

You've just complained about digs on the one hand while calling a mod a twat with the other.
    It's clear your agenda is to have a go at the mods and not to address the problem. So I'm done here.

You've just complained about digs on the one hand while calling a mod a twat with the other.
    It's clear your agenda is to have a go at the mods and not to address the problem. So I'm done here.

The mod called me a twat. Can you not at least acknowledge that?

You have done nothing to address it apart from what I have said throughout this thread, you have picked parts of my posts and replied while ignoring others.

As well as that other mods have been throwing their little digs in too.

gunsfortoys infracted for insulting post. The example of a dig you've linked to has nothign to do with you at all. In fact, its Mickey Dolenz makign a joke at his own expense which, if anything shows that the mods treat users with more respect than they expect to receive themselves. You're basically trying to insult a mod without actually doing the insulting. The mods of AH have put a lot of effort and consideration into responding to your query, nice to see you appreciate it when people actually listen to you.

I am not replying anymore to this thread.

By the looks of it the mods can do no wrong and the ganging up witnessed on this forum is nothing short of pathetic.

Again, good luck.

The mod called me a twat. Can you not at least acknowledge that?

where in that post you linked were YOU called a twat?
    You have done nothing to address it apart from what I have said throughout this thread, you have picked parts of my posts and replied while ignoring others.

this thread was about posts beign deleted without explaination. this was explained repeatedly. then it became about specifically YOUR posts being deleted. again it was explained.
    As well as that other mods have been throwing their little digs in too.

what digs? because I said that you almost want the answer to be the mods ganging up on you? Thats an observation, not a dig. you either arent reading the responses or you are choosing to ignore anything that you dont want to see. When its 5 against 1, the 1 should at least entertain the possibility that they could be in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Strike them heavily with urine.

@jumpy: pointless post infracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

eh - i have on many occasion over the years seen posts of mine deleted - generally its in my own interest that the AH have taken an editorial veto.

It was either sweep it under the carpet or infract me for being a cock.

The latter may have been decided to be harsh, yet leaving it there may not be in the best interest of the thread.

I have no problem with deleting non content posts

• Advertisement

Back up the truck there Gunsfortoys. That had nothing to do with you, how did you even make that connection? :confused:

I was responding to the post two above that one you linked to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

snyper wrote: »
    eh - i have on many occasion over the years seen posts of mine deleted - generally its in my own interest that the AH have taken an editorial veto.

It was either sweep it under the carpet or infract me for being a cock.

The latter may have been decided to be harsh, yet leaving it there may not be in the best interest of the thread.

I have no problem with deleting non content posts

Nothing personal, but in that case you should surely have been infracted?

Its not fair that some posters would have their transgressions "swept under the carpet" when others get banned or carded.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

Its not fair that some posters would have their transgressions "swept under the carpet" when others get banned or carded.

hence, the proceeding line where i suggest that i may have been considered harsh to infract or ban.

If i call you a cnut in an open thread, 10 times out of 10 i will receive a ban. Im not suggesting preferential treatment, more a preemptive strike

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Nobody is given preferential treatment. Things that are swept under the carpet are usually stupid things like yore ma, blast with pi$$ etc. Abuse, back seat modding, trolling and the likes always result in a card/ban no matter who it is.

Everything is taken on a case by case basis.

Infractions often pies off people more than a deleted post.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

OP - did you genuinely think the deleted post was funny? There was a great post a while back from Talliesin about why 'yore ma' was banned. No idea how to find it with the new search but it laid out clearly just why these kind of mod decisions have to be taken.

Actually, read this whole thread, and in particular post 19:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055481155

Grrrrr. Stupid phone word auto correct

Rabies wrote: »
    Grrrrr. Stupid phone word auto correct

Yes, it really pies me off sometimes as well :P

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Can you also look into my deleted posts Darragh? I have an idea of which mod it is but if you could send me a PM or something on who and why that would be great.

I have looked at posts of yours that were deleted, Gunsfortoys.

You had a pissblasting post deleted in this thread by super-rush on 05/04/11.

It was the first reply to the thread.
    Pissblaster.

You reposted it on 06/04/11.
    Pissblaster.

Thanks for deleting my post Mods.

You also had a post go astray because the thread you posted in in AHs was deleted by admin.
    If your username is true, why not whore yourself out?

In this thread, in one word describe your day we missed this one.
    Blast

This thread, Hairdressers: Is the pricing sexist?
    We also missed this post of yours.
    Blast them with piss.

You also lost a post in this thread, 'Miserable, negative people who have no lives'. deleted by DeVore.

Guess what it said?
    Blast them with piss.

You lost two posts in a deleted thread, 'Why are Irish men so ignornat and ugly'?

one of them being,
    Can't believe this hasn't been said.

Have you tried blasting them with piss op?

I've searched back to the 16/03/11 for the above posts of yours that were deleted, OP, and it took up a lot of time to do it, but I really wanted you to realise that it's not an agenda we have with you, more getting rid of the Meme you and others post over and over again and we are doing our best to eliminate it from AHs.
    I have noticed that some of my posts have been getting deleted without explaination.

That's as much of an explanation as I can give, you now know why some of your posts were deleted.:)

@ outlawpete, that would be so helpful and would cut down on Pms and threads like this.

It would be great if it could be implemented here.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

How?

Seriously, I wasted 10 minutes of my life last night replying in detail, because I felt that having the reality of the situation explained to you by someone who didn't mod AH and who (as far as I can remember) had never encountered you in any capacity might be more convincing.

At this stage, I feel that you just don't want to hear, so I shan't bother any more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement