Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is UCD an unfriendly place?

Options
  • 10-04-2011 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Is UCD an unfriendly place? Especially if your doing a big course like Arts or Commerce where the Dubs seems to stick together?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

No and for the record Dubs don't stick together. I have friends from all parts of the country and I also have friends from Dublin. No one cares where people are from and there is no place snobbery either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭nickobrien1985

unknown13 wrote: »
    No and for the record Dubs don't stick together. I have friends from all parts of the country and I also have friends from Dublin. No one cares where people are from and there is no place snobbery either.

Dubs don't stick together?? Ha!!!
    I can refer you to folk from the big Dublin schools who'll even admit they're bad on that point

unknown13 wrote: »

No snobbery? Cripes? what course are you doing?
    I've never seen more snobbery in my life than in the Quinn School. Its like a Prada fashion shoot every morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

If you stick to yourself and make no effort to interact, of course it will seem unfriendly, but the same could be said for any university.

The more you get involved and make an effort to meet/talk to people the easier it is.

It's a common misconception that the Dubs / country folk keep to themselves, this really is not the case at all. GEnerally people will be more likely to hang around with school friends etc, but this does not mean that they are exclusive of others, and if they are those kinda people, would you really want to be friends with them?

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    If you stick to yourself and make no effort to interact, of course it will seem unfriendly, but the same could be said for any university.

The more you get involved and make an effort to meet/talk to people the easier it is.

It's a common misconception that the Dubs / country folk keep to themselves, this really is not the case at all. GEnerally people will be more likely to hang around with school friends etc, but this does not mean that they are exclusive of others, and if they are those kinda people, would you really want to be friends with them?

People from the big schools - Rock, Zaga, Mount Annville really do stick to themselves, they'll be nice to your face, but you'll never be mates with them. I found them very insular

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I'm just going to say 'yes' to the question posed in the thread title and suggest that it goes beyond the students to the very body of the college itself.

In relation to a recent project, I spent two months negotiating with UCD and was encouraged all along the way that it was something they were interesting in pursuing. I put a lot of time into producing a full proposal for them. I then got what I would consider a really rather curt negative response from them.

Somewhat disappointed, I took the project to Trinity, where I had little hope that it would be of interest to them. Not only were they interested, but they moved really quickly and professionally to make it happen.

I couldn't contrast the two responses more. I now feel that I had a lucky escape from working with UCD, given the contrasting attitudes. It's a pity in one sense, as I greatly respect the academics and many of the graduates I've known from there. But I am at this stage quite relieved and delighted to be pursuing this project with TCD instead.

I'll let you all get back to the Dubs V Country people row now. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Did you just start this question so you could rant at whoever responded saying it was friendly first?

I'm from Dublin, I went to one of those snobby Dublin schools, I'd say a third of my college friends are from Dublin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

To be honest OP, it depends hugely on what course you're doing. I only have 25 in mine and we're all good mates. Other courses with smaller classes like Engineering, Architecture and possibly Science seem to be much friendlier. Despite what some people say Arts and Commerce don't seem to be the easiest of places to make friends. In my experience, people who attended any of the private Dublin schools will stick together if there's more than one or two of them. They're usually nice enough but you'll find it difficult to make friends with them. They'll nearly always stick to school friends. I think a lot of them (not all) find it very hard to break school ties. People from public schools in Dublin and from the country are usually much more outgoing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

People from the big schools - Rock, Zaga, Mount Annville really do stick to themselves, they'll be nice to your face, but you'll never be mates with them. I found them very insular

This is it exactly. They'll be friendly to you but you won't ever be friends with most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

No snobbery? Cripes? what course are you doing?
    I've never seen more snobbery in my life than in the Quinn School. Its like a Prada fashion shoot every morning

Your question was rhetorical then.:D

Rename the thread: 'UCD is an unfriendly place' in that case. Which it isn't. Isolationist to a certain extent, but that's to be expected with 20,000 people.
    :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Well there you have it. "No". That was easy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement