Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary school ratings?

• 10-04-2011 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is in the right place. Mods, feel free to move it if I'm in the wrong place.

My sister told me she looked up where her school was ranked nationally, and how many people in her year went on to further education. Apparently these ratings are available online, but I forgot to ask her where I could find them and google hasn't been of much help.

Anyone know where I can find this info?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

The Irish Times have a schools league table every year. It was out 6 weeks or so ago, I think.

Maybe it's available online as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

The Irish Times have a schools league table every year. It was out 6 weeks or so ago, I think.

Maybe it's available online as well?

I think you might be right, she did mention something like that. I'll have a look. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00681/The_top_400_seconda_681535a.pdf

This is probably what you're looking for, but to be honest I'd take it with a pinch of salt. Because a school is at a certain point in the rankings or not in them at all doesn't mean a thing. I'm sure if the school I'm working booted kids out in 5th year that were weak or encouraged them to go elsewhere or start working instead of finishing their education our ratio of students going to third level would be higher, but then we would be doing a disservice to our weakest students.

I went to school in Limerick City myself to what is considered a disadvantaged school. We had excellent teachers, excellent discipline and staff really cared about students. There was a high proportion of students in the school from disadvantaged areas who did not attend third level and the school would not feature in those rankings. That said whoever wanted to go to third level got there and those that didn't want to go or didn't have the ability were helped to get to wherever they wanted to go. That kind of school is not included in rankings such as the ones above.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00681/The_top_400_seconda_681535a.pdf
    I think that's for 08-09 though.

This is the top 25 for '09:
    http://www.politics.ie/education-science/91516-top-schools-country.html

If anyone can find more recent ones please post here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

This is probably what you're looking for, but to be honest I'd take it with a pinch of salt. Because a school is at a certain point in the rankings or not in them at all doesn't mean a thing. I'm sure if the school I'm working booted kids out in 5th year that were weak or encouraged them to go elsewhere or start working instead of finishing their education our ratio of students going to third level would be higher, but then we would be doing a disservice to our weakest students.

I went to school in Limerick City myself to what is considered a disadvantaged school. We had excellent teachers, excellent discipline and staff really cared about students. There was a high proportion of students in the school from disadvantaged areas who did not attend third level and the school would not feature in those rankings. That said whoever wanted to go to third level got there and those that didn't want to go or didn't have the ability were helped to get to wherever they wanted to go. That kind of school is not included in rankings such as the ones above.

Which school?

• Advertisement

Cheers guys. I'm actually looking for the lowest ranked schools to see if my old school is still in the lowest stratum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

You do have to be careful with these things, as one of the reasons my school doesn't appear is because of our non existent entrance policy. The numbers of people attending 3rd level isn't necessarily representative of a schools standard.

You do have to be careful with these things, as one of the reasons my school doesn't appear is because of our non existent entrance policy. The numbers of people attending 3rd level isn't necessarily representative of a schools standard.

I'm well aware of that, but I do a lot of talks (or at least I did but I'm in final year now) on lack of representation of students from disadvantaged in university and it would be nice to collect a few statistics. I'm pretty good at interpretting them, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

apc wrote: »
    Which school?

Does it matter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

League table is utter b****cks

• Advertisement
Advertisement