Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Primary School in Cork

• 10-04-2011 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi There,
    I have 3 years old daughter and will be in the primary school this year. Could you please advise any good primary school in Cork? We live in Blackrock but i am working in Model Farm Road Area.
    I didn't know much about Irish Education System and i don't mind if she go to any type of school as long as she can get the best education.

thanking you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Will she be 4 before September? A child has to be 4 to start primary school here. A lot of children now are either 5 or almost 5 starting Junior Infants.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What is one person's idea of a "good" school varies.What are your priorities for her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

If you are working in Model Farm Road area, there's an excellent girls' school called St. Catherines. Children get plenty of variety and a good education. Glasheen Girls' school is also really good and quite close by. You wouldn't go wrong with either of those two.

I should have also said that there are lots of good schools in Cork but was answering based on the information you gave in your question. Much depends also on whether you have other children or if you consider it likely that you may have more children. For boys, Glasheen Boys' School, which is near where you work, is a particularly good school. Your question is a difficult one to answer though as there are many very good schools in Cork and many have particular strengths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

+1 to St Catherine's, Model Farm Rd. my daughter went there and, although she is now in her 20s, she still looks nostalgically at a child in a St Catherine's uniform!
    However, I would think very carefully about sending your child to a school near where you work - what happens if you change job and are no longer travelling to Model Farm Rd? You either spend half the day in the car crossing over and back to M F Rd or you pull the child out of her school to suit your new work place. Plenty of good schools in Douglas/Blackrock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

I would favour placing my child close to home as opposed to work. Their friends will then be local to school and home.
    Crab Lane mixed school Catholic
    Our Lady of Lourdes girls only Catholic
    St Micheals mixed school C of I
    Rockboro , mixed Private Fee paying
    Ursuline Convent primary girls only Catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 olieph

Many thanks for all your replies and advise so far, and my apologies for my late reply.

My child will go to primary school next year (September 2012), but since I found some of the schools are usually "fully booked" a year in advance, I was thinking better I start browsing for a school from now on.

I really believe that primary school is the foundation for her education so I hope she can go to a school with a good balance of science, arts and sports as I don't know what she wanna become when grows older (I'm sure she also doesn't have an idea yet) so she will be well exposed to about anything there is available.

So far St. Catherine's is fully booked for this year, so if I want her to be able to go there, better I start up her application.

Please do let me know, if you have any more tips or suggestions.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Our school has a good number of applicants for 2015 already, so contact any school you are interested in and see what their policy is.

I would highly recommend St. Catherines for 2012, so if it suits you, I would advise you to put in your application as soon as possible. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

olieph wrote: »
    I hope she can go to a school with a good balance of science, arts and sports as I don't know what she wanna become when grows older (I'm sure she also doesn't have an idea yet) so she will be well exposed to about anything there is available.

All schools in Ireland follow the same curriculum, which includes P.E. (sports), Visual Arts, Music, Drama, Science etc. You can have a look at www.ncca.ie to see what's covered in the curriculum.

Different schools could have a variety of extra-curricular activities, some free, some you'll have to pay for. It really depends on the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 annie1982

E.T. wrote: »
    olieph wrote: »
    I hope she can go to a school with a good balance of science, arts and sports as I don't know what she wanna become when grows older (I'm sure she also doesn't have an idea yet) so she will be well exposed to about anything there is available.

All schools in Ireland follow the same curriculum, which includes P.E. (sports), Visual Arts, Music, Drama, Science etc. You can have a look at www.ncca.ie to see what's covered in the curriculum.

Different schools could have a variety of extra-curricular activities, some free, some you'll have to pay for. It really depends on the area.[/Quote

Beaumont girls school in Blackrock is excellent and has a very well balanced curriculum

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nityeah

Hi,
    we r planning to move from dublin to cork by june2013. My husband works at cork airport business park. have a 7 year old daughter. can someone let me know good schools to register for next year?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

nityeah wrote: »
    Hi,
    we r planning to move from dublin to cork by june2013. My husband works at cork airport business park. have a 7 year old daughter. can someone let me know good schools to register for next year?

That would totally depend on where you are going to live.
    You can work in the Business Park and live 30 mins away - which could include 50 different possible schools.
    Grange, Turners Cross, Douglas, Bishopstown or anywhere on the southside of the city would be more suitable than somewhere on the northside as you won't have to cross the city.
    Using the tunnel opens up Glanmire, Glounthane etc
    Living in Ballinhassig, Ballygarvan, Riverstick, Kinsale direction would give you a whole different list of schools.
    Will you be driving her to school, hoping to walk with her or does it have to be on route to the Business Park?

You will first have to decide roughly where you want to live before we could narrow down your options to be honest.

Advertisement