Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we surprise R Madrid?

Options
  • 10-04-2011 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

In our home leg does anyone think we have a chance of turning it around?

I know we have some job on our hands but if we have a real go at them and tear into them we have a decent chance I feel. Depends what Madrid team turn up.

We will have a massive crowd behind us and foreign teams often get complacent. Remember Liverpool and AC Milan in the CL final?

Fingers crossed. Madrid have better players but we have good players too and if we pick the right team and have the right attitude there is always hope.

They have Mourinho though, I think he will be warning his players against complacency.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

"Surprise" would be a gross understatement. A shock of epic proportions would be a more apt description of what we need to do.

We have less than a 0.01% chance but stranger things have happened. Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal and Liverpool 3-3 Milan prove that it's possible. If we get 1 before half-time and another early in the second half then it's possible. It's likely to be a low key affair with Madrid dealing with some early pressure and the game petering out to a 0-0 stalemate.

We'd need an early goal and I think, controversially, we would need an early sending off in our favour this time. Obviously the chances of that are pretty slim but it's what I feel anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

We need two before half time

What I think will happen is we will score around the 65th minute and they will level it late in the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Not a hope, remember its Mourinho we're dealing with here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm going to say it and I hope i can quote this thread with glee but we are going to scare the **** out of them on wednesday. I think we'll knock in two early enough goals and maybe get 3 and be a goal away from them at some stage.

How it goes from there I don't know but I'll dream that we'll beat them 4-0.

Having nothing to loose is possibly the best situation to be in here minus the scoreline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

A man has walked on the moon, of course it's possible ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭van der vart

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Not a hope, remember its Mourinho we're dealing with here

He,s not Playing, COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Madrid score and you need SIX

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

We couldn't keep a clean sheet against Stoke! Huddlestone, Modders and Bale back together, you never know?! COYS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭happy hotspur

Of course we can suprise them. A lot can happen in football. We scored 3 in the first half against Stoke, West Brom got two penalties against Liverpool, West Ham got 2 first half penalties against Man Utd.
    Pepe is suspended for them too which helps, and I think lennon will be up against Marcello and Bale against Ramos. They have a derby against Barca next weekend and a lot of their players are on yellows so will be worried about getting booked and missing out on the glamour semi v Barcelona. If we tear into them from the off we have a good chance but we cannot afford to concede even 1 goal or its curtains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

We couldn't keep a clean sheet against Stoke! Huddlestone, Modders and Bale back together, you never know?! COYS

we managed to keep two against AC Milan though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Harry will have do something like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO4tIrjBDkk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

If I remember correctly, Deportivo were 4-0 down against Milan going into the 2nd leg a few years back and managed to get through to the next round so its not impossible!

But... actually yeah, its impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Of course we can suprise them. A lot can happen in football. We scored 3 in the first half against Stoke, West Brom got two penalties against Liverpool, West Ham got 2 first half penalties against Man Utd.
    Pepe is suspended for them too which helps, and I think lennon will be up against Marcello and Bale against Ramos. They have a derby against Barca next weekend and a lot of their players are on yellows so will be worried about getting booked and missing out on the glamour semi v Barcelona. If we tear into them from the off we have a good chance but we cannot afford to concede even 1 goal or its curtains.

Happy Hotspur I like your attitude. We may not beat them by 4 clear goals but I think we have a chance of winning the game. If we can score early enough you never know what may happen. I only hope that the lucky fans who go on Wednesday get to see us beating Real Madrid in the quarter final of the Champions league will realise what an achievemnet that is.
    Also I would expect the fans to show the team their appreciation of our excellent Champions league run this season wheter we win lose or draw on Wednesday.

If we did turn it around would it be the finest result ever achieved by us?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

Madrid have a truly dodgy defense. Having said that, we'd need a lot of luck (not just some) to get the ball rolling for a potential comeback to be on the cards.

I'd rather see Harry and the team go on and claim 4th spot rather than run ourselves ragged in the home leg and then suffer with poor form in our next match in the premiership. We got a good result against Stoke at the weekend.

I'd much rather see us build on that. Obviously it'd be friggin' brilliant if we pulled it out of the bag but i'd rather see you get into the same competition next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,742 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I too can see us going 1 or even 2-nil up. TThen, when have then on the ropes - whammy!!!! - we will be the cause of our own downfall - we'll give away a goal via [blank] . Insert - peno/own goal/dodgy keep antic's etc where appropriate.

The only way I can see us getting through is if they get a player red carded via a penalty in the first 20 mins, followed by a freak own goal by madrid and then 3 goals via Bale/VDV/lennon.

Its a pity Crouch is suspended- I think he'd cause them no end of problems at WHL.

If this was the Madrin team of any season except this one, then I'd sya we have a chance, but not this season, not with Mourinho. How many times has a team of his lost 3-nil, never mind 5-nil!! (except when Barca beat them a few weeks ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,742 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

When you say it out loud - five.. nil, five nil. one, two, three, four, five goals to nil.

Thats what we need. Not a prayer.

five -one, six-two... no good, its got to be five goals to nil.

They score two, thats okay 'cos we got to score seven then. Blimey.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭fabvinny

2 early goals are vital,then who knows.............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

If we did turn it around would it be the finest result ever achieved by us?

Yes without a doubt. Travelling over tomorrow but realistically whatever about us scoring 4 (which would be a huge ask in itself) I can't see them not scoring!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭happy hotspur

RC Deportivo La Coruña hold the record for the biggest first-leg defeat overturned in the UEFA Champions League era, losing 4-1 at AC Milan in the 2003/04 quarter-finals but subsequently winning 4-0 at home.

We can do this lads, believe!!!!!!!!!!!!

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Paddy Power paying 225-1 on Spurs to win in extra time....! COYS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

lets hope vdv is dropped for this one. with his attitude in the interview after the last game we dont need him on the pitch as he wont have the right attitude. plus we need 2 strikers up top if we are to have any chance. not one striker and someone who plays whereever he feels like

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭sniffingchimp

mickman wrote: »
    lets hope vdv is dropped for this one. with his attitude in the interview after the last game we dont need him on the pitch as he wont have the right attitude. plus we need 2 strikers up top if we are to have any chance. not one striker and someone who plays whereever he feels like

Agreed. VDV has been borderline usless for a while now, I'd hope for THudd (albeit lacking match fitness), Modric, Lennon and Bale in midfield, with Pav and Defoe up front - if we leak goals we leak goals but lets batter them from the start and hope for the best.

VDV's attitude has been awful, not a leader nor inspiring for anyone on the team to hear that kind of bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭wellboys

mickman wrote: »

Dropping VdV would just be stupid, the man has experience which is vital for nights like this. If we go with Pav up front on his own, Bale and Lennon will be constantly high up the pitch giving support to the lone striker. Our side is a naturally attacking side, we'll bombard them no matter what formation we play, but dropping VdV would be very silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

If you play bale in goal they might be surprised.

100-1 on betfair for 4-0 spurs

wellboys wrote: »
    Dropping VdV would just be stupid, the man has experience which is vital for nights like this. If we go with Pav up front on his own, Bale and Lennon will be constantly high up the pitch giving support to the lone striker. Our side is a naturally attacking side, we'll bombard them no matter what formation we play, but dropping VdV would be very silly.

I dont know - As we've all seen VDV has been practically non-existent recently, I dont think there's any harm in trying something radically different for this match.

Typical now if he plays out of his skin, gets a hat-trick and two assists (one can dream).

Wouldnt mind eating my words in that instance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Everyone is giving out about VDV saying we've no chance in the return leg...which is exactly what we've been saying. He's being realistic, which doesnt mean he's not going to try. He's not been at his best, but dropping one of our best players would be stupid.

Kiith wrote: »
    Everyone is giving out about VDV saying we've no chance in the return leg...which is exactly what we've been saying. He's being realistic, which doesnt mean he's not going to try. He's not been at his best, but dropping one of our best players would be stupid.

I think there's a massive difference in what fans talk about on message boards and what a high profile player says in public regards his teams chances. Some things you keep quiet no matter how you may feel, for the sake of spirits in the dressing room, younger, less experienced players in the squad etc.... He should know better in my opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement