Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA advice

Options
  • 10-04-2011 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi all,

I want to get ccna certified to make me more employable.
    Im hoping to teach myself at home. Is there anyone whos managed to do this?, what books would you recommend?. Will I need more than books.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Vytas_bew23

u find all the answers here , just read and take your time

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noobsaibot21

I'd recommend doing it through an established trainer centre as you'll have access to labs (either real labs or virtual labs such as Packet Tracer) as well as all of the curriculum online. If you MUST do it 100% privately at home (assuming it's even possible), you should consider buying some equipment and setting up a home lab. Not compulsory but the hands on experience is unbelievably useful to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

I disagree..its 100% possible to get CCNA certified by studying at home. However, it is absoluteley critical to get some sort of access to labs. I recommend trying to get hold of an IOS file and installing GSN3. This will be more than enough for the CCNA curriculum.

Other than that, get the Sybex CCNA book by Todd Lammle and also the CCNA CBT Nuggets by Jeremy Ciora.

Watch the videos, read the corresponding chapter of the book, and practice the labs until you are comfortable with the topics.

do this for each section and you will/should do plenty to pass the exam. Don't get discouraged though. It is an absolutely tough exam if it is not your daily job. Keeping focussed is hard. You also would be very surprised how much you will cover doing 2-3 hours per day. Put the head down and you WILL pass if not the first time maybe the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭jack888

nellocono wrote: »
    I disagree..its 100% possible to get CCNA certified by studying at home. However, it is absoluteley critical to get some sort of access to labs. I recommend trying to get hold of an IOS file and installing GSN3. This will be more than enough for the CCNA curriculum.

Other than that, get the Sybex CCNA book by Todd Lammle and also the CCNA CBT Nuggets by Jeremy Ciora.

Watch the videos, read the corresponding chapter of the book, and practice the labs until you are comfortable with the topics.

do this for each section and you will/should do plenty to pass the exam. Don't get discouraged though. It is an absolutely tough exam if it is not your daily job. Keeping focussed is hard. You also would be very surprised how much you will cover doing 2-3 hours per day. Put the head down and you WILL pass if not the first time maybe the next.

Thanks, just ordered that todd lammle book on amazon. Ill start there. Not sure what ill do for labs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

jack888 wrote: »
    Thanks, just ordered that todd lammle book on amazon. Ill start there. Not sure what ill do for labs though.

I'm currently attempting to do what you are doing, Studying from home. If you can acquire an IOS image (Preferably a 3600 series IOS) then GNS3 (And VPCS) seems to be all that's needed for labs.

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭jack888

I'm currently attempting to do what you are doing, Studying from home. If you can acquire an IOS image (Preferably a 3600 series IOS) then GNS3 (And VPCS) seems to be all that's needed for labs.

Nate

Thanks,

Ill have a look around for an image. Making good progress through the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I passed the CCNA with CBT nuggets, packet tracer (for CCNA you don't need any lab time) and Todd Lammle

Trainer courses would be a waste of money in my opinion.

I got 930 ICND1 and 899 ICND2 with the above study material.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Sorry to go slightly OT, but I was thinking of studying for the CCNA over the Summer. I got a study guide from the college library relating to CCNA 640-607, however from having a quick Google, I see that a CCNA 640-801 also exists.

Am I correct in saying that the 640-801 is the most recent incarnation of the exam? Does anyone have a link detailing all the exam version numbers so I can see which versions relate to which topics and which versions are the most recent. Thanks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I think the CCNA is 640-802

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Yep, CCNA is the 640-802 exam. You can also break it down and split it into two different exams which is the advised route for complete beginners as it sets a better foundation.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le0/le9/learning_certification_type_home.html

YOu can find all the info you need at the link above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Correct, try to take it as two exams - thats the ICND1 and the ICND2.
    I'll give you much more time :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

If you have the cash I would start building a lab. Expand it as time goes by. You will learn a lot shopping for different routers/switches (well I like to think I did), what the differences are (eg why one model costs more than another). Having to flash from rom monitor mode. Upgrading flash/ram. Those new models that you would like but just can't afford etc. Different network / wic modules, are they supported in your router. I believe this important if your planning to work in this industry. Also get yourself a roll of cable, some plugs and a crimpers. GNS3 is great too though, I use it in work also when I am free.

Advertisement