Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How high can your dog jump?

• 10-04-2011 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

I've spent a small fortune supposedly securing my back garden but yet the wonder dog has managed to jump over the back wall twice in the last 3 days:eek: The wall is 6ft high but with a newly mulched bed at the base it's probably 5 1/2 ft. She's a medium sized dog and not in my wildest dreams would I have thought she would jump that high :(
    She went into the neighbours garden, into their house and into bed with their dog :o I haven't quite figured out what to do but she'll have to be on long lead arrest until I do. Maybe trellis to increase the height but how high is high enough :confused:
    Any other super jumping dogs out there? What do you do to contain your dogs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Lol at her in the neighbour dogs bed!!!

does she think she is a police dog;)

http://chestofbooks.com/animals/dogs/Dogs-All-Nations/images/Police-Dog-Scaling-Fence-8-ft-6-in-High.jpg

mine need 6ft with no "spring boards". trellis extension is a good idea, may be a case of trial and error?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

ppink wrote: »
    does she think she is a police dog;)

Don't show me pictures like that :eek: I think it's in her genes... Kerry Blues have been used as police dogs :pac:
    I can't believe she went into the other dogs bed ... a couple of months ago I was dealing with her dog aggression, talk about a complete turnaround :D

I think trellis is the way to go, plus planting fast growing tall things and just hope for the best:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

bit of a romance happening eh?!

what breed is your dog? just out of curiousity.
    you can get something to attach to top of wall, my brother put up 5ft fencing for his dog and is getting something else to make it a foot higher as the fencing has cost him well over a grand already excluding labour!
    I can find out what it is/price etc. if you like?

make sure there's nothing that he's jumping up on or using as a ledge before you go to all those rounds though...you'd be surprised how inventive bored dogs can be!!!:D

Ah the Kerry Blue! Well I am sure she is well miffed at you thinking 5ft will hold her!! we had a KB years ago who could CLEAR 4 ft without touching it!!

At least she didn't go into his bed to eat him lol!

I have this vision of a big blob of curls flying over the wall and landing on poor neighbour sunbathing, tramping over him and scooting into his house:D

magentas wrote: »
    bit of a romance happening eh?!

Well they're both spayed females but hey...:D
    what breed is your dog? just out of curiousity.

Kerry Blue mix but all terrier
    make sure there's nothing that he's jumping up on or using as a ledge before you go to all those rounds though...you'd be surprised how inventive bored dogs can be!!!:D

My son was there when she went today, she just jumped the wall, no ledge! I do think that now that she's discovered that she likes other dogs she is probably looking for canine company :o rather than being bored.

Ah the Kerry Blue! Well I am sure she is well miffed at you thinking 5ft will hold her!! we had a KB years ago who could CLEAR 4 ft without touching it!!

We changed the 4ft front fence to 6ft when she jumped out after the postman :o

• Advertisement

you see that mulch bed you planted all nice and tidy and looking well?

well you may as well have handed her a trampoline:D.

Honestly I have never met dogs as "springy" as the kerry blue.

our KB hopped up on the kitchen counter and ate a defrosting turkey .......the whole entire bird:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I have a medium sized border collie cross who could clear a 10ft wall. Even now at 13 years old with arthritis in her spine she can still clear 5 ft, very annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have a medium sized border collie cross who could clear a 10ft wall. Even now at 13 years old with arthritis in her spine she can still clear 5 ft, very annoying!
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    You sure she doesn't have wings?
    My fella can bounce up to eye level, but never tries to jump the wall thank god. He has also run up an almost shear cliff face at the beach, then leapt from about 10ft up and ran off at full speed.
    The little dog can jump onto the sofa but any higher she begs a lift (i mean sits on back legs and waggles the front paws in the air):rolleyes:, won't even get in the boot of the car by herself, she's too much of a lady for all that leaping about.

mymo wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    You sure she doesn't have wings?

She's half collie and half teleporter, I'm convinced of it :D She she hunkers down at the bottom of the wall and jumps, then manages to keep running up it! Gravity definitely does not apply

:eek: how do you contain that collie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

I've a terrier cross and he even climbs hedges to get over the wall..
    Our garden has started to resemble a detention center with all of our attempts to keep him in

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

I volunteered in the pound years ago and each cage/pen was 10 foot high chain link with the roof covered in chain link aswell. So to my surprise I wad having my lunch and a GSD came trotting over. I put him back in the pen and 2 mins later he was out again. I put him back again and watched in amazement as he literally climbed up the chain link and nudged the roof aside so he could get out! Our red setter years ago could clear 5 ft from a standstill too. My Akitas now are too lazy to get over anything above 4 feet but I still wouldn't trust anything lower than 7 or 8 feet high with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

My dogs can't jump over a two foot fence, sometimes having small dogs is just so much easier . . . but they did climb over a chain link fence (4ft) a few times, but I think they realised that falling off the top of it hurt . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

littlebug wrote: »

My son was there when she went today, she just jumped the wall, no ledge! I do think that now that she's discovered that she likes other dogs she is probably looking for canine company :o rather than being bored.

Maybe a little friend that has short legs, so it can't jump with her? Might help if she's lonely:D

mymo wrote: »
    Maybe a little friend that has short legs, so it can't jump with her? Might help if she's lonely:D

I did raise that here as a possibility but judging from the look I got I think it's a no-no :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Thank god for my dwarf can barely climb the stairs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

7ft vertical scale jump with no contacts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

It depends if I want him to jump or not.
    The fecker is well capable of jumping a 4 foot garden wall when he is not supposed to, but then he is completely incapable of jumping into the back of the car which is about a foot lower. He just stands there with his front two paws on the sill waiting to be lifted in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

:rolleyes:
    stoneill wrote: »
    It depends if I want him to jump or not.
    The fecker is well capable of jumping a 4 foot garden wall when he is not supposed to, but then he is completely incapable of jumping into the back of the car which is about a foot lower. He just stands there with his front two paws on the sill waiting to be lifted in.

just wants ya to hold him...cute!

:eek: how do you contain that collie?

I have to keep her on a 15ft zip line, it gives her a stretch of 45ft! Otherwise simply disappears out of the garden. I know where the current escape route is - she climbs up through a 8ft hedge to hop over the 6ft fence I scrapped the face off myself putting up behind the hedge. I have decided not to further fill in that route because I know she'll find somewhere else to get out and I'm afraid she'll take my other dogs with her. One of them is a deaf mini JRT and even though we live in a rural location with few cars she'd be dead with one smack of a car.

I remember one saturday training some of the people I trained with for agility wanted to get their GSDs into working trials and brought a scale jump to training to practice. Their GSDs wouldnt go up it at the 5ft stage and I had been asking if I could put my collie up it, they kept telling me 'in a minute, in a minute'. When they finally let me I pointed my collie at it and told her 'up' and up she went, no hesitation and no effort. They couldnt believe it! Called me all the names under the sun :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

My terrier cross has me tormented. I have already done a job on the back and side partition of the garden. Its a 6 ft fence that she was able to jump against and she was getting her head to the top of the fence. All I was waiting for was her to grab on to the top and she would drag herself over. Did a job on it by fencing off the top with shelf brackets so they came out from the fence at an angle. Then attached chicken wire to the bracket arm that was sticking out. Seems to be doing the job so far.

However at the weekend she shocked me again! :eek:
    The fence at the side entrance to the house is about 7 foot high. There are 2 horizontal timber slats running along the inside of the fece that she is now running against and using to push herself higher and reaching the top of this 7foot fence!

At my wits end with her now! :eek:

I have to keep her on a 15ft zip line, it gives her a stretch of 45ft! Otherwise simply disappears out of the garden. I know where the current escape route is - she climbs up through a 8ft hedge to hop over the 6ft fence I scrapped the face off myself putting up behind the hedge. I have decided not to further fill in that route because I know she'll find somewhere else to get out and I'm afraid she'll take my other dogs with her. One of them is a deaf mini JRT and even though we live in a rural location with few cars she'd be dead with one smack of a car.

I remember one saturday training some of the people I trained with for agility wanted to get their GSDs into working trials and brought a scale jump to training to practice. Their GSDs wouldnt go up it at the 5ft stage and I had been asking if I could put my collie up it, they kept telling me 'in a minute, in a minute'. When they finally let me I pointed my collie at it and told her 'up' and up she went, no hesitation and no effort. They couldnt believe it! Called me all the names under the sun :D

those zip lines look handy for that job. Are they safe enough, they look better than just tying out?

i wonder what is posessing these dogs to be trying to escape! especially when they have company and your dogs are walked alot too if i remember?
    Today in my house the door is open, sun shining slight breeze and 2 dogs are in their crate, one in the hall and one on the couch .....all asleep indoors:rolleyes:
    so your collie does agility then? she probably thinks she is doing a great job!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

i wonder what is posessing these dogs to be trying to escape! especially when they have company and your dogs are walked alot too if i remember?

I really don't think it matters, when we moved about 2mths ago our dog kept escaping outta the back garden but she literally just sat at the front door waiting for us to come home (we know cos the neighbour told us - he couldn't believe that she would just stay there)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

I really don't think it matters, when we moved about 2mths ago our dog kept escaping outta the back garden but she literally just sat at the front door waiting for us to come home (we know cos the neighbour told us - he couldn't believe that she would just stay there)

Thats exactly what my dog does too.. He seems to like being in the front garden

:eek::(
    So wonder dog just managed to get off the long lead ( I can't figure out how but she also managed to get her tag off), jumped the wall again. I went round to get her, she bounded over the neighbours wall out on to the road at full speed (lucky there were no cars), back into the estate.... into another neighbours garden looking for cats, saw me come round the side of the house so went to run out the other side but got distracted by dogs on the other side of the wall so went to jump that instead (5 ft +). I just managed to catch her by the skin on her back before the bulk of her weight went over the wall :( Over that wall are two dogs, one of whom is very dog aggressive and doesn't just bark but bites and will not give up while the other dog is very big and could do a lot of damage if he got in on the action which he probably would. I actually think they could have killed her if she had managed to get in there.
    I am honestly at a loss:(

OMG now that is serious!

Is she getting loads of exercise Littlebug? not that exercise will be the sole answer I imagine.

Babystrawberry's method of the angled addition at the top of your fence might be a plan before she costs you a fortune in vet or worse bills. I would be putting up anything for now to put a stop to it and then think about making it "nice" after. If you put wire like chicken wire she should not be able to get a grip on it to haul herslef over. then you could put creepers on it later to mask it.

Put a harness on her on her lead?? my sister had a westie and the harness was the best job when he had to be out on a lead. he got out of his collar all the time.

sounds like you might need to think about recall training her too.....food was our KB's ultimate goal so it was easy to train him.

I dont envy you thats for sure!

those zip lines look handy for that job. Are they safe enough, they look better than just tying out?

Today in my house the door is open, sun shining slight breeze and 2 dogs are in their crate, one in the hall and one on the couch .....all asleep indoors:rolleyes:
    so your collie does agility then? she probably thinks she is doing a great job!!

I find it great. I have a line running the length of my garage, and then a 15ft lead attached onto it. The clip that goes onto her collar has a spring on it to lessen impact. I make sure there's nothing around that she can get caught up in so all chairs, poles, kids toys etc have to be clear of her area. Also make sure it's nowhere near a wall that she can jump over and accidentally hang herself. I did a bit of training with her so she knew exactly how far the line could go, that way she wouldn't suddenly be stopped by the zipline.

My collie was one we took off the street when she was 6 months old and 13 years later we've never managed to cure her of the wandering. She gets a minimum of 2 miles power walk a day and normally an hours run up the fields too, but it doesn't stop her heading out on her own, especially if the weather is warm and blustery, I reckon she's following scents. I came home from work early one day cos I was sick to find this dog playing on the green where we used to live, she saw the car and her face literally dropped, she ran for the neighbours side gate and by the time I checked my back garden she was there like butter wouldnt melt. I went into my neighbour to see if she had noticed how she got out and the neighbour said "Oh she's like clockwork, every day at 10am she leaves and comes home at 3pm, she's been doing that for months"!!!!! She would wait an hour after I left for work and would be home an hour before me so I never knew

When she did agility she won quite a bit, but then she decided she was bored and would fake various injuries right in front of the judges..... who all thought I was a cruel person for pushing my dog beyond her limits :mad: So I had to retire her and trained her up as a therapy dog instead

At least once a day I can be heard muttering "damn dog" :D

Is she getting loads of exercise Littlebug?

She gets a minimum of 4 miles walk a day, somedays up to 5-6 and at weekends she gets a 3 mile run (well me running, her trotting) as well as that. So for example she got 9 miles this Saturday so I'd say exercise isn't an issue! Her issue is having been locked up before she came to us so she hasn't got used to being loose and off lead so when she does she gets completely wound up. I've only ever seen her relaxed in our garden when on long lead. Once loose she loses the plot! So... quick garden security action as well as more training required. Sometimes she'll be reasonable on recall in our own garden if there's food involved but when she gets her big mad wound up head on her nothing but nothing will calm her down bar getting her back inside.

At least once a day I can be heard muttering "damn dog" :D

If I had a penny for everytime I said that. Must look into zip line.

Oh and she gets out of regular collars and harness easily and can unclip lead clips with her teeth. The only one she hasn't managed to open is the dogmatic. She also once opened the locked back door with the key:eek:

littlebug wrote: »
    Oh and she gets out of regular collars and harness easily and can unclip lead clips with her teeth.

Oh Littlebug, I feel your pain!!! My dog can open baby gates, squeeze out of the most impossibly small spaces, and is the most manipulative dog I've ever come across.

I use a half-check collar with the zipline. You can get ones that don't have a buckle, there's a size adjuster alright though and I make sure at it's very tightest it's only just tight enough so she can't squeeze her head through, that way as long as she's not pulling on it it's very loose around her neck. Oh and the line I have attached to her collar has to have substantial metal running though it or she simply chews it in half. I thought by buying a washing line and cutting it in half I'd have a spare one and for cheap but that line lasted 1 hour :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement