Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it possible to do law after completing an arts degree?

Options
  • 10-04-2011 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Do you mean studying for the professional exams? If that's the case, they're open to absolutely anyone from what I know as long as you pay. In theory you could teach yourself but I don't know anyone who has done so. I think Blackhall Place teach the professional exams themselves (I may be wrong on this). If you have a law degree it exempts you from 2 of the exams but certainly not all of them.

If you just want to do an undergraduate law degree as a prelude to professional exams in UCD or something I wouldn't bother. Go straight to the Law Society directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

You could always complete the MCL (Masters of Common Law) 2 years at UCD, or the postgraduate diploma in legal studies in Kings Inn?
    Avoiding this, you can sit the Preliminary Examination without a Law degree to enter the Law Society >> www.lawsociety.ie/pages/Public-Becoming-a-Solicitor-CMS/Irish-Applicants-Solicitor/Preliminary-Examination/
    Hope those suggestions helps somewhat:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

?

It is possible to do any course you like after completing an arts degree (undergraduate or post-graduate).

If you not have sufficient Leaving Certificate points, but you have a good degree, that will suffice for under-graduate entry.

No free fees however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

There is always a way into any degree after doing a BA. It will cost you, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

This guy's sister above me did the FE-1s after a science degree. You're grand mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Jackies green army

Thanks alot for the help, some of the university jargon is going over my head, just with regards to payment can any one give me a rough estimate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

meathawk wrote: »
    This guy's sister above me did the FE-1s after a science degree. You're grand mate

Social science. That's worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

She never stood a chance.... :p

Advertisement