Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microchips - a little bit of info from me

• 10-04-2011 7:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

I have taken in several dogs lately who have been chipped but the chips are not registered, it is getting really really frustrating so could people PLEASE spread the info that it is NOT enough just to have them chipped, the chip needs to be registered by the owner!

Also, lots of chips with the 972. prefix which puzzled me and other rescues as they do not show up on any of the usual sites such as Fido, Animark or Europetnet. They do however use that prefix with the Irish Cob Society so it got really mysterious until I found out that flipping *Canine Ireland* uses that prefix and since they are not connected with Fido etc NONE of their chips show up unless you go to their website and use their crappy search engine.

I am sick of Canine Ireland tbh. but I thought since a lot of rescues read and post here, it may be of interest to them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Great advice. If the new owners go into their vets, they can get a pack for fido.ie for 15 euro approx and register the dogs with them. All the instructions are with the pack. It is also easy enough to change details on Fido.ie at a larger stage if needed.

Ive heard of this happening with lots of dogs, once they are chipped the owners think they are fine and never bother register their own details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Also, if you happened to have a dog with 972. prefix PLEASE reg it with Fido as well as most rescues will use only the usual MC sites and NOT Canine Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I lost my Fido form with the website reg number, I have the micro chip number, can I just got to the vet and buy a new fido number?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

how do we check this?

our vet did all the paperwork associated with our dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Chris-Just give fido a call, they are quite helpful.

ppink, get the vet to scan it, then go online and search each database for the info.

• Advertisement

Chris, ring your vet and ask them to register the dog for you.

ppink, you can pm me the numbers and I check them for you, if you like.

They also have a website with info

http://www.fido.ie/home.html

Alternatively, go to http://www.europetnet.com/MembersDetails.aspx?Asso_ID=PLO put in chip number and then FIDO, ANIMARK, IKC should show up if the chip is reg'd with them. Obviously, it doesn't give you owner details but it DOES tell you whether the chip is reg'd and with which company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It's lazy Vets that chip the dog & then tell you to fill in & send off the form.
    My Vet always submits the details online there & then.

Discodog wrote: »
    It's lazy Vets that chip the dog & then tell you to fill in & send off the form.

The onus is on the owner to assure their pets are safe and properly reg'd.

• Advertisement

EGAR wrote: »
    Alternatively, go to http://www.europetnet.com/MembersDetails.aspx?Asso_ID=PLO put in chip number and then FIDO, ANIMARK, IKC should show up if the chip is reg'd with them. Obviously, it doesn't give you owner details but it DOES tell you whether the chip is reg'd and with which company.

Thanks thats very useful. I was not aware of that site.

Knine wrote: »
    Thanks thats very useful. I was not aware of that site.

I always search there first, it saves me time so I don't have to go through each site, this one shows straight away which company etc.

The onus is on the owner to assure their pets are safe and properly reg'd.

Yep but owners don't. There have been genuine cases where owners believe that a microchip is a GPS tracker !.

We know that some owners are challenged so it is better for the Vet to take responsibility. Mine even checks the chip on later visits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Most pet owners get a pup thats already microchipped so the details are registered to the breeder initially, so then the new owner has to register their own details by sending off the form.

Its up to the owner of the dog to make sure its done and transferred into their own details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Is the same thing happening with cats?

We got our last cat from the DSPCA wouldn't even have thought about having to register the MC.

None of the cats I have taken in are MC'd so I don't know. However, the system is the same.

andreac wrote: »
    Most pet owners get a pup thats already microchipped so the details are registered to the breeder initially, so then the new owner has to register their own details by sending off the form.

Its up to the owner of the dog to make sure its done and transferred into their own details.

If I would have gotten a tenner each time I got an adult dog in, MC reg'd to *breeder* who couldn't remember whom he sold the dog to as a pup - I'd be rich.

If I would have gotten a tenner each time I got an adult dog in, MC reg'd to *breeder* who couldn't remember whom he sold the dog to as a pup - I'd be rich.

I know, im sure you would.:D
    I was just pointing out to Discodog that many people who buy a pup, will have already been MC'd by the breeder, so the vet wouldnt be able to do anything for the new owner as it would already be registered.

I am agree 100% with you, Andreac. It is the (new) owner's responsibility - simples.

When I got the Otterhounds, I made sure that their details were transfered into my name!

Phoebe Bassett's ex-owner dumped her in rescue where she wandered from home to home due to behavioural issues before ending up with me. I cannot transfer her details into my name as ex-owner is not reachable. BUT, I did make the IKC to stick an appendix on her file AND re-registered her chip with FIDO.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

hi, i have my guy registered with www.petnet.ie is that enough?

• Advertisement

No, it isn't. Read my OP. Petnet is Canine Ireland, I presume your dog's MC starts with 927?

His chip no starts with 972. I going to ring fido tomor morn...why they can't combine all microchip sites or just have one is beyond me...I was one of the stupid people that presumed there was a national database...

Sorry, yes, that is the prefix I meant, not 927. Canine Ireland is a sham, their database is a joke. The 972 is a weird chip number connected with the Irish Cob Society and God knows how many dogs with that prefix have gone down in the pound or have been rehomed as the chips don't show up on regular databases. I had to search like a maniac to find it and it was only because I found an old thread on PI that things finally fell into place and connected with Canine Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I got my boy done at the DSCPA stand at PetExpo last year, and I filled out the registration form and left in with them. However, my vet told me that they could not find his details on any database. I rang Pet Trace and gave them the chip details, and he is registered. I also checked on Euro Pet Net, and the chip comes up as registered. PetTrace told me they had a few people with the same problem.
    My other dog is registered with Fido. She was chipped on her way out of the pound in Louth, and I filled in registration details with them. They never sent the details on though (it was for Animark), so I've done it myself with Fido.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

EGAR thanks so much for all your help through PM. Think there is alot of confusion around the Microchip issue...dread to think what would have happened if my little one went missing over the past year so thanks a mil! ;)

andreac wrote: »
    I know, im sure you would.:D
    I was just pointing out to Discodog that many people who buy a pup, will have already been MC'd by the breeder, so the vet wouldnt be able to do anything for the new owner as it would already be registered.

Well the routine at my Vet is if they get a new patient, say for a second Vac, they check for a chip & check to see if it's registered. It's basic common sense.

Well the routine at my Vet is if they get a new patient, say for a second Vac, they check for a chip & check to see if it's registered. It's basic common sense.

Yes they can check, but the breeder would have registered the chip and handed the details to the new owner when they bought the pup, who in turn sends off the form, its nothing to do with the vets at that stage then. They can only scan for the chip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I routinely hand out Fido re-registration forms to anyone who comes in wiht a 972 chip or if I can't get the owner details on the chip websites when pups come in for vaccinations. You don't pay the vet a fee for the Fido re-reg form, you just fill it in and send it off to Fido. They then send you a letter and you pay them a fee directly if the chip is not already registered to you and they will then list your chip in their database.
    Canine Ireland is a total joke- those dogs are not 'registered' in the traditional kennel club sense (ie, they're no longer official pedigree dogs and are not eligible for showing in kennel club recognized shows, as far as I know) and the chip database is useless.

Wisco, you are correct. Canine Ireland are not affiliated with the Kennel Club and dogs reg'd with them cannot be shown or cant have their progeny reg'd with the IKC if they arent already registered with the IKC themselves.

Its a way for certain so called breeders*:rolleyes: to try and convince people that their pups are registered, when they are not IKC registered, bloody joke is right.
    But its up to the buyer to check all this out before buying a pup.

• Advertisement

hi, i'm looking for a phone number for fido but there dosent seem to be any on thier website....would anyone have it please?

Advertisement