Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microchips - a little bit of info from me

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

It would also be a surgical procedure to remove a chip.
    The risk of the dog being lost is far more than any cancer-I've not heard about this and I do have a professional interest the subject (and I regularly read peer reviewed literature on many aspects of veterinary medicine). Can I ask where you found that info? I'd be interested to read them if they're from scientific sources.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

In regards to the chips causing cancer, any studies I've found about this have been done on rats and mice; its a big needle to be sticking into a mouse. Also, the species of rats and mice used are apparently most susceptible to cancers as it is. All my guys are microchipped and I wouldn't have it any other way. Not when there's such a risk of them being stolen or going missing.

I did meet a dog who had his chip removed, by the plonkers who robbed him and tried to turn him into a guard dog. He arrived at a rescue with a hole in the back of his neck where they had dug the chip out with something :mad: Thankfully, he is perfectly fine now.
    But like Wisco says, it is a surgical procedure taking out the chip and I cant imagine many vets would do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Hi guys,

Quick question which is only slightly left field of the topic.. Are there available gps chips? I have looked (in honesty not much just browsing) If there is I think i'll get my fella chipped with that, he is already chipped normally and registered with fido.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

As far as I know, the gps chips are still being tested to see how well they work. I know a woman who had both of her dogs done, but it cost something like two grand to have them chipped:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Two grand, i'll chip him twice :rolleyes:

Cheers, Shanao :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Little_Focker

This is very interesting OP thanks for posting. We got our last guy before Xmas and the vet gave me a form to register the chip and its for "Link up" and at the time I had never heard of it so was a bit weary of sending it off. Googled it and couldnt get up any info so I ended up forgetting about it :o:o Checked it there again and the number begins with 972 so must go into vet and see about changing it so I can register it on Fido or even Allianz seems to be popular too.

TBH I agree that the vets should register the chip details there and then. The amount of people who think their details are magically on the chip when the vet inserts it is just unreal :rolleyes: and thats even after the vet explains it all to them. My friend was like that got a pup in Jan and it was one of those chips and she asked me to explain to her what she had to do as she couldnt understand what the vet was on about. Spent a good half hour explaining all to her :rolleyes: She also thought it was like a gps chip that they would be able to look up on the computer and see exactly where the dog was if it went missing!! I just think if the vet does it then its done no messing around etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

This is very interesting OP thanks for posting. We got our last guy before Xmas and the vet gave me a form to register the chip and its for "Link up" and at the time I had never heard of it so was a bit weary of sending it off. Googled it and couldnt get up any info so I ended up forgetting about it :o:o Checked it there again and the number begins with 972 so must go into vet and see about changing it so I can register it on Fido or even Allianz seems to be popular too.

TBH I agree that the vets should register the chip details there and then. The amount of people who think their details are magically on the chip when the vet inserts it is just unreal :rolleyes: and thats even after the vet explains it all to them. My friend was like that got a pup in Jan and it was one of those chips and she asked me to explain to her what she had to do as she couldnt understand what the vet was on about. Spent a good half hour explaining all to her :rolleyes: She also thought it was like a gps chip that they would be able to look up on the computer and see exactly where the dog was if it went missing!! I just think if the vet does it then its done no messing around etc

You don't need to change anything to register on fido. Just go onto the website http://www.fido.ie/ and click new customers and go from there. You'l have to pay €15 I think it is.

I checked my chip and it's a 972 also. He's definitely not a canine ireland dog must just be some vets using different batches of chips. My vet also gave me a form for link up but I could find no info on it whatsoever online except on the bottom of the form it mentions the ELF group so I presume thats just the name they go by. Mine also mentioned allianz but could find no registry going by that name so presumed she got confused with the insurance company. :confused: Maybe we have the same vet? Did you ever find a microchip company by the name of allianz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

Is the same thing happening with cats?

We got our last cat from the DSPCA wouldn't even have thought about having to register the MC.

i got mine done there too, they said it was registered. is there a way of registering it yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dogcrazy

All chips must be registered to a searchable database, such as fido or animark (IKC). If they are not registered with one of these databases, then if your pet goes missing, the chip will come up as not registered. It's now the law for the vet or registered vet nurse who implanted the chip to register the details to the owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

dogcrazy wrote: »
    All chips must be registered to a searchable database, such as fido or animark (IKC). If they are not registered with one of these databases, then if your pet goes missing, the chip will come up as not registered. It's now the law for the vet or registered vet nurse who implanted the chip to register the details to the owner.

There is no law regarding microchips. Some Vets register them others give you the card & tell you to do it.

• Advertisement

Shanao wrote: »
    As far as I know, the gps chips are still being tested to see how well they work. I know a woman who had both of her dogs done, but it cost something like two grand to have them chipped:eek:

Surely it's impossible. A chip has no power supply & no external antenna so it could never contain a GPS - how could you charge the batteries ? The smallest gps is still way too big to implant. There are a range of GPS tracker collars but they are far from reliable as they depend, as does all gps, on line of site to the satellite. GPS collars are not that expensive. There are two types. The more expensive ones have a hand held receiver with a map display. The cheaper ones link to a website like these:

http://www.pawtrax.co.uk/main/

But my Vet assures me that she still gets people coming in expecting a microchip to track a missing pet.

My pup was chipped against my will and permission - I've never been happy about that fact and now that she's getting older - the chip is going closer and closer to the surface of her skin - as in you can completely see and feel the chip if you move away her fur.

I am 100% sure that the benefits of a chip totally outweigh any possible risks. Remember that if your dog loses it's collar or has it removed the only chance you may have is the chip. However I would get your Vet to check the chip next time you are there. If it is really close to the surface there might be a tiny possibility of it being rejected by the body - bit like the way that a splinter will sometimes find it's own way out. I have never heard of this happening so I doubt of this is the case.

Advertisement