Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion Or Economics

• 10-04-2011 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

going into 5th year and im stuck to choose between these two subjects.

are they hard? which would you reccomend (all feeback greatly appreciated)

thanks
    .SONIC.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Economics easily, because it is a short, factual subject whereas religion can get quite waffly. Furthermore the economics exam is one of the best on the leaving cert given that you simply choose 6/9 short questions and 4/8 long questions. The exam is extremely repetitive as the same topics come up year after year. It really is the smart choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

.SONIC. wrote: »
    going into 5th year and im stuck to choose between these two subjects.

are they hard? which would you reccomend (all feeback greatly appreciated)

thanks
    .SONIC.
    Without a doubt choose Economics. I took it up Janurary this year and have covered 13/20 Chapters and Exam papers on my own!. It really is a lovely subject in my opinion!. I plan to have the course finished before the end of 5th year, then revise through exam papers over the summer, revise again between September- Mocks, and at least revise once more between mocks and the Leaving Certificate! That means i'll have the course covered and Revised at least 3 times before my exam! If you put in the hard work you should reap the benefits! And also topics such as Demand/ Supply, Factors of Production, Markets, International Trade and National Income appear every year! I'm hoping for an A1-A2 in it anyway!

Best of luck with your choice and 5th year! If you stay on top of homework and revise consistently you'll do great! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Without a doubt choose Economics. I took it up Janurary this year and have covered 13/20 Chapters and Exam papers on my own!. It really is a lovely subject in my opinion!. I plan to have the course finished before the end of 5th year, then revise through exam papers over the summer, revise again between September- Mocks, and at least revise once more between mocks and the Leaving Certificate! That means i'll have the course covered and Revised at least 3 times before my exam! If you put in the hard work you should reap the benefits! And also topics such as Demand/ Supply, Factors of Production, Markets, International Trade and National Income appear every year! I'm hoping for an A1-A2 in it anyway!

Best of luck with your choice and 5th year! If you stay on top of homework and revise consistently you'll do great! :D

Revising through the summer?
    Sounds like you're a smart, hard worker. You'll go far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

It really depends on your personal interests.
    I do religion and love it, whereas I don't do economics. If you really like topics such as philosophy, meaning of life, religion in ancient times, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, NRMs, other religions, Irish history of religion (Celtic religion, reformation, plantations etc) and more then you'll love religion. Religion does take up a lot of time though (which doesn't bother me because I find it, along with Geog, the most interesting subject).
    Economics is probably more concise but it doesn't sound half as intriguing as RE.
    Again, if you like subjects like geography and history you'll probably love RE but if you're more into business and maths go for economics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Geo10 wrote: »
    It really depends on your personal interests.
    +1

Also perhaps consider who might be teaching you for religion. If it's likely to be a teacher who still sees the subject "religion" as "train up good little Catholics" it may be less attractive (regardless of your own religious beliefs).

The course is quite a good one if taught well, I think ... comparative theology / philosophy can be quite fascinating even if you have no religious beliefs (actually, sometimes *especially* if you have no religious beliefs, provided you don't simply see it as an opportunity to constantly fight battles).

But that's if you're a "humanities-type" person with a fascination in how society ticks over and changes and how people think and why they do things ...

If you're a more business-y or even science-y type person, probably economics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

hey! i actually do both subjects. like previous people have said its really what you're more interested in yourselves. i think the 2 subjects are probably 2 of the best you can do because they both kind of make you think for yourself.
    personally if i had to choose i would pick religion because i prefer the course and my teacher is so good, you'll do a project worth 20% then theres topics like the search for meaning, christianity, world religions, morality, etc. The only thing i don't like about the subject is that it can be difficult to get an a due to the lack of choice in the exam. you have to write essay type answers on questions that there may only be a paragraph on in the book. there is a lot of learning involved but i think the course will stand to you in college cos it makes you think for yourself and how you answer questions.
    on the other hand economics is a relatively small course so you will have loads of time to study. . .

and fair play to studying over the summer! please tell me your motivation secret!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭.SONIC.

THANKS FOR THE REPLYS GUYS

first few comments had me going for economics, but now im confused as ever :L but thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Rodin wrote: »
    Revising through the summer?
    Sounds like you're a smart, hard worker. You'll go far
    Awh thanks! I'm very determined to get my dream course! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I do economics and I'd recommend it. Both really different courses though but Economics is interesting enough too. Microeconomics is the factual part. It's all international trade and National Income. Macroeconomics which is all government policy gives you a little lee-way to waffle.

Most of the stuff you deal with in Economics is easy and I'd guarantee you'd already know it, because economics is about human behaviour. It's just how to word it correctly and get the definitions perfect that you need to do to get an A1

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

If you have the ability to waffle shamelessly, do religion. I hate christianity and couldn't bring myself to do any religion study for the mocks other than cramming, and got a B1. Some of the course is incredibly boring, but other parts are relevant and really interesting. I enjoyed doing the coursework (20%) as well. Be warned: the books for religion are an abomination, so you'll probably end up learning off hundreds of handouts! It's quite confusing to keep track of the course sometimes, but it's mostly an enjoyable subject.
    Oh, and quite a few in my class obviously chose the subject because they thought it would be an "easy option", rather than having an actual interest in the subject. It really isn't easy!

I don't do Economics so can't comment on that. It depends on what your own strengths/interests are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement