Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re: Making US accounts

Options
  • 10-04-2011 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Can you get console banned for this? I've heard people have and others haven't so I want to know how strict MS is on this. I'll only use it to try out Indie Games since we can't get them here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I've had one since the original xbox (something to do with msn messenger I think). As you can't change where the account is afterwards it would seem very unfair. What if you had sent the account up in the states and then moved here?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭r0cks0l1dd

I know but I've heard of people doing this and then getting banned completely. Maybe Microsoft checks the ip of where the account was created. If you've had one with no problems since the first xbox's launch with no problems, I assume it's safe enough but you never know...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

its safe out. anyway, you will be prevented from accessing most of the USA content such as renting a movie or watching ESPN, prevented because of your IP address. the indie games are fine though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Have a UK and a US account, as said various things are IP blocked like Last FM or was it just some of the Last Fm features ? I can't remember. You can buy market place content though , like stuff off Rock Band Network which is the reason I have my accounts.

Be sure to pick up Aegis Wing if you make a US account ( a free game for US tags only )

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    its safe out. anyway, you will be prevented from accessing most of the USA content such as renting a movie or watching ESPN, prevented because of your IP address. the indie games are fine though

Thanks. I didn't know they IP block you for that. I know that's what most people made US accounts for. On that topic, I can understand TV programmes but would it kill them to make Indie Games downloadable here? The UK can get them and I think we can make them but can't get them. I don't understand it.

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »
    Have a UK and a US account, as said various things are IP blocked like Last FM or was it just some of the Last Fm features ? I can't remember. You can buy market place content though , like stuff off Rock Band Network which is the reason I have my accounts.

Be sure to pick up Aegis Wing if you make a US account ( a free game for US tags only )

What other advantages does the UK store have besides Last.FM anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I'd only make a UK account, if I were you. Any points that you purchase here won't work on a US account. Plus, I think the smallest number of US points you can buy is 1600, whereas you can get 800 here, which is what I'm going to do next week :D FortressCraft, here I come!

http://gamecards.eu/games/good/225

The only reason someone with a US account would get banned is probably because they bought a phished account. People sell 6,000 points online really cheap; They use someone else's credit card to buy the points, stick them on a new Gamertag, and give you the details to recover the Gamertag

Has anyone here tried this to get indie games? Can an Irish account use indie games, or would it block them from your Games Library, like Last.FM from one of your UK accounts? I know they don't have Achievements or anything, and I could just play them on my UK account, but I'd prefer to be able to play them on my account, where I can invite friends and see who's online etc.

Healium wrote: »
    Has anyone here tried this to get indie games? Can an Irish account use indie games, or would it block them from your Games Library, like Last.FM from one of your UK accounts? I know they don't have Achievements or anything, and I could just play them on my UK account, but I'd prefer to be able to play them on my account, where I can invite friends and see who's online etc.

I tried something similar with WaW DLC with my friend a while back. I remember that it did work but the account that bought it had to be signed in too. But don't quote me on that, you could try though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

r0cks0l1dd wrote: »
    I tried something similar with WaW DLC with my friend a while back. I remember that it did work but the account that bought it had to be signed in too. But don't quote me on that, you could try though.
    Oh yeah, I know that it'll be available for everyone on the console. But, I've downloaded Last.Fm using a UK account, and I can't access it on my main account, because it's not available in Ireland. It's showing on my hard-drive, but I can't access it from anywhere when I'm using my Irish account. Just wondering if indies are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Healium wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I know that it'll be available for everyone on the console. But, I've downloaded Last.Fm using a UK account, and I can't access it on my main account, because it's not available in Ireland. It's showing on my hard-drive, but I can't access it from anywhere when I'm using my Irish account. Just wondering if indies are the same.
    IIRC i used one of those 6000pts a/c's to download some indie games etc, and promptly deleted it. Although i will say i had no luck getting any DLC for the likes of Mass Effect or Rock Band with one of those a/c's. Not too sure why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I can verify dlc from rock band network works 100% downloaded on my UK account and played on my Irish account.

2 things, I am always connected to live, and I am playing on the console that downloaded the content and has the UK account on it used to download it but it's not signed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If you create a US account, you wont be able to purchase content from the US as you'll be IP banned from doing so. And no, you dont get banned, you just cant do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

You definitly dont get banned.

What DOES happen though is you can only access content from the US marketplace, most DLC is region free but some companies, like Activision, region lock their content so you wouldnt be able to use it.

A UK console with a US account would cause a conflict and you wont be able to access some content

Advertisement