Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Grad in Primary Education

Options
  • 10-04-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi, Just want to see if anyone has any advice re: the post grad courses in primary teaching. Has anyone done the Hibernia course, while working full time? How hard is it to get onto a course (I meet all the requirements)? Has anyone gone to the UK to study? Also has anyone gotten a place on a postgrad course here, without any previous experience in a primary school?
    Sorry for all the questions, but just trying to gauge the best route to take! I realise that I may not get a place on any course, due to the amount of people applying for them, so this is why I'm looking at all avenues, in order to have a few options and alternatives!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Just to make you aware that primary teaching jobs are like gold dust. 1,500 teachers will be put on redeployment panels this May and all of those will have to get jobs before any newly qualified teacher will get work. The INTO reckon that no young teacher will get a permanent job for at least 3 years.

Do you have honours Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭BlondePrincess

Yes I have honours Irish, got a C1 in the LC. I understand that there are more teachers than jobs available, but if I apply for next Feb, I won't be qualified until 2013 and surely things will have improved to some extent by then?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

The UK is always an option. As far as I know, they accept applications on a rolling basis all year round, but at this stage its probably a case of getting place in a college where there is still a vacancy. That's if you're applying for the next intake.

If you're aiming for a specific college, maybe wait and apply for the course next year so that you'll have a choice.

Advertisement