Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What voip provider should i use?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

With some phones you can ...... essentially they have an ATA built in.

Grandstream are one well known brand ....
    http://www.voiplink.com/Grandstream_IP_Phones_s/19.htm

That's incorrect.
    Nearly every ATA allows you to connect your IP device to your router or modem. Your modem port is in use for the router, so you can connect your ip device to the router. Not every device somes with passthrough ethernet, if they do you can still connect it to the router on its own or from the modem in and the router wifi out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Originally Posted by just do it
    Hmm, I was assuming I could plug a VoIP phone into the wireless broadband router. Can I not do this?
    Originally Posted by Johnboy1951
    With some phones you can ...... essentially they have an ATA built in.

Grandstream are one well known brand ....
    http://www.voiplink.com/Grandstream_IP_Phones_s/19.htm
    Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    That's incorrect.
    Nearly every ATA allows you to connect your IP device to your router or modem. Your modem port is in use for the router, so you can connect your ip device to the router. Not every device somes with passthrough ethernet, if they do you can still connect it to the router on its own or from the modem in and the router wifi out.

For clarity, Mr_Grumpy, could you be more specific about what is incorrect and why? ..... can no phone plug into a broadband router? Not even IP phones?

Puzzled :(

For clarity, Mr_Grumpy, could you be more specific about what is incorrect and why? ..... can no phone plug into a broadband router? Not even IP phones?

Puzzled :(

It doesn't matter if it is a netigear, netopia or even belkin router or modem you connect it to.
    A router is a device that connects to your modem to share it with multiple devices. Nearly all routers come with 4 ports and wireless connection (WiFi). Some modems have routers built in. For example, eircoms netopia.

Your IP phone or ATA can connect to a modem or router via ethernet cable. Some come with a pass-through feature that allows you to 1. Connect your ip device to your modem (you will see two rj45 ports labeled on your ip device) via ethernet, and then 2. Connect your ip device to your router, PC or other device on the other rj45 port on your ip device.
    You then connect your ata to your analogue phone.

I hope this helps!

Your IP phone or ATA can connect to a modem or router via ethernet cable.

Which is what I said ...... and you posted that this was incorrect ...... which is what has me puzzled.

Is it the notion that the adaptor circuitry is built in to such a phone that is in question?

Which is what I said ...... and you posted that this was incorrect ...... which is what has me puzzled.

Is it the notion that the adaptor circuitry is built in to such a phone that is in question?

No problem, it was a mis understanding. Quote: 'Hmm, I was assuming I could plug a VoIP phone into the wireless broadband router. Can I not do this?'

The answer is you can connect all ethernet supposed voip devices to a modem or router.
    You said “some“ and I took it as “only a few“, my fault.

Apologies...:D

• Advertisement

No problem, it was a mis understanding. Quote: 'Hmm, I was assuming I could plug a VoIP phone into the wireless broadband router. Can I not do this?'

The answer is you can connect all ethernet supposed voip devices to a modem or router.
    You said “some“ and I took it as “only a few“, my fault.

Apologies...:D

:D:D:D

No problems :D

I used 'some' because there are phones marketed as "VOIP Phones" which are for PC use only ..... USB connected.
    In trying not to mislead it seems I confused the issue somewhat.
    I should of course have been more specific, as you have above.

Thanks for pointing this up.

regards. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Thanks Lads
    I got a bit lost there with all the talk of modems and routers, ATA's etc.
    But I now know I need to make sure the IP I get can plug directly into the router.

What can be useful, if using an ordinary phone into an ATA device (standalone or built into a router) is a dect phone ..... it means the phone is not physically tied to any device.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bonnamh

Hi,

I am a new customer with Goldfish since last week, am not affiliated with any provider.
    My experience to date has been:
    Website dreadful (eg. cannot purchase 2 items as basket doesn't work)
    Service offering is great, fax to email, voicemail to email etc all very good.
    Support desk very helpful and fast with configuring changes and getting you set up, so we worked around the website problems by emailing support.
    However when I found actual problem with their service (can't receive imcoming calls from local Eircom landlines!!!) they went silent for days and then told me to sort it out myself with Eircom frown.gif
    So basically the service does not work for me at all, am awaiting resolution/refund.
    It may work for you if you get range of numbers in area where nobody will ever call you from but then you most likely want a phone "presence" in your customer area.
    Anyway, that's been my experience to date.
    If any change, I'll post update
    bonnamh : )

just do it wrote: »
    O2 speed check results on current landline BB:
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 821 kbps (102.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 44 kbps (5.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 142 ms
    02 May 2011 20:30:48

Landline giving trouble for both bb and calls. Here's the speed test results:(
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 136 kbps (17 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 59 kbps (7.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 138 ms
    17 September 2011 16:06:19

P.S. This is for my info as much as anyone elses!!

• Advertisement

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 821 kbps (102.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 44 kbps (5.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 142 ms
    02 May 2011 20:30:48

Last Result:

If you have blueface/voip and maybe use landline for broaband:
    Oh dear, okay this is what you should do:
    Plug everything out bar your IP phone or ATA.
    Pick up the phone and ring a test number (say 305 with blueface and check if it stops and starts). Your latency is alot, but you will need to get onto your broadband provider about those dreadful speeds!. If any further problems, get back to us.

If you are not using voip, then I suggest you go over to the Net and Communications forum. You should ring your provider because with that information nothing here can really help you for landline problems.

Have a nice evening anyway.

Last Result:

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 886 kbps (110.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 58 kbps (7.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 125 ms
    19 September 2011 21:54:41

Eircom out and fixed the line. Problem was with wire running from the road under the new wall & tarmac driveway and house foundation - yikes! Luckily the wire has a spare wire built in and this one works ok, phew.
    Phone and BB now working again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Petercarlos

Skype is fine. I have never used blueface. For professional use, I take VOIP and hosted PBX services from therealpbx.com. It works fine on iPhone and VOIP phones as well. I personally use Android but my colleague use it on iPhone. She has not faced any issue so far.

Last Result:

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 712 kbps (89 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 95 kbps (11.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 131 ms
    20 August 2012 22:31:10

Despite what seems to be much improved speeds d'Internet is slow tonight:confused:

Are you getting the 1mb dsl service? If you are getting about half a meg at bad time in OK.

If your getting more than a 1mb service you need to move providers. If you move to another dsl provider your likely to get the same speed as the speed is dictated by your line quality. Maybe look at fixed wireless, upc or wimax.

Hope this helps :)

I'm posting this for my own benefit, keeping all the results together. So need for replies;)
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 789 kbps (98.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 98 kbps (12.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 145 ms
    01 May 2011 23:35:39
    Last Result:
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 886 kbps (110.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 58 kbps (7.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 125 ms
    19 September 2011 21:54:41
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 712 kbps (89 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 95 kbps (11.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 131 ms
    20 August 2012 22:31:10

Despite what seems to be much improved speeds d'Internet is slow tonightconfused.gif

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 713 kbps (89.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 57 kbps (7.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 129 ms
    21 August 2012 21:47:03

Similar results as last night but the Internet is working much better tonight!

I'm posting this for my own benefit, keeping all the results together. So no need for replies;)

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 713 kbps (89.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 57 kbps (7.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 129 ms
    21 August 2012 21:47:03

Similar results as last night but the Internet is working much better tonight!

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 771 kbps (96.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 104 kbps (13 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 130 ms
    16 September 2012 23:05:19

The landline has been giving trouble for a long time now and eircom have visited on a number of occasions and finally replaced the line from pole out at the road running into the house. My OH said it was in tatters! This has cured the phone line issues but broadband remains at the same level - slow but sufficient for what we want. Unfortunately it rules out the option of things like netflix etc

Just do it,

Can you get UPC or Wireless broadband? That's bound to be faster.

Just do it,

Can you get UPC or Wireless broadband? That's bound to be faster.
    Unfortunately not. One of the disadvantages of living in the sticks :rolleyes:

I looked at alternate providers previously and there seemed to be a lot of disgruntled customers so I don't want to take the chance to be honest.

Advertisement