Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ketosis - having trouble getting "into it"

Options
  • 10-04-2011 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

Can someone please tell me if I am doing everything correctly?

Height 5'10"
    weight 76kg (69.68 inch)
    Gym 3 days a week

MEAL 1
    2 unsmoked back rashers (bacon) 7.86g / 10.5g
    2 Large Eggs 10g / 12.6g
    Tea spoon butter 6g

MEAL 2
    70g Stewing beef 13.5g / 19.05g
    25g Feta Cheese 4.78g / 4.12g
    1 Tablespoon olive Oil 15g

MEAL 3
    2 Pork Chops 13.2g / 38.4g
    32g Cottage cheese 1.6g / 3.6g 1g
    1 tablespoon olive oil 15g

MEAL 4
    1 scoop protein 1.8g / 23.9g / 1.1g
    1 tablespoon peanut butter 7.4g / 4.7g / 1.9g
    1 tablespoon olive oil 15g
    200ml Milk 7g / 6.6g / 9.8g

MEAL 5
    1 Tablepoon Mayo 11g
    50g Tuna 12.5g

PREWORKOUT
    NO-XPLODE 7g carbs

POSTWORKOUT
    Optimum Nutrition Whey 1.8g / 23.9g / 1.1g

Total Cals 1800
    FAT 128.9g
    PROTEIN 133g
    CARBS 22.5g
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

How long have you been at this diet? You should be in ketosis on that alright without working out even. How do you know you're not in ketosis? Have you tested (with something like ketostix)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

On that diet, you can't avoid ketosis. My suggestion is to throw in more green veg. You can add plenty of celery and spinach and mushrooms to those meals without significantly increasing carbs.

Is meal 4 post workout? If so, drop the oil and pb, your PWO meal should be a protein/carb combo. Keep the fats for other meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Can't you still eat things that will stop/prevent ketosis even without eating too many grams of carbs? Like if you just ate 5g of sugar or something it'd take you out, no?
    Just mentioning it in case it could be something like that.

You'll do well from avoiding carbs anyway but yeah check some ketostix.

5g of sugar wouldn't take you out of ketosis, it would take more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

sorry for the late reply.

I started this last tuesday(5th apr) with the goal of being in ketosis by the weekend, which it didnt happen.

On the weekend i still pretty much ate the same regards a few sweets and an indian and then back to the diet on monday.
    Im checking for ketosis with the stix and as of 5 mins ago and all throughout last week the most its showing on the graph is just a trace of ketosis.

any ideas?

• Advertisement

oh and meal 4 is in the evening time or about an hour before bed. I alter meal 4 and 5 depending on what I am peckish for!

My post work out is always a protein shake immeadiately.

Any trace of pink is ketosis. Have you noticed any drop of weight? Typically, you spend a day pissing like a race horse as you go into ketosis, followed by a drop of a few pounds as the water weight disappears.

Ketostix measure the excess ketones in your urine, over a certain concentration. If you drink a lot of water, your urine may be too dilute to register. Or if you use the ketones during exercise, they may never get to your urine.

If in doubt, spend a couple of days just eating eggs, fish, meat, green veg, and leave out all the other stuff.

No weight loss or a day pissing like a race, well not that I noticed the latter!
    But I drink allot of water anyway.

I might just give that option a try, but where will I be getting my fat from?

Eggs, mackerel, salmon, rib steak, lamb chops, salads with an olive oil dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

You could follow the Atkins Fat Fast for two days, google it. I did it when I wasn't sure if I was in Ketosis. Two days of eating small meals of Cream cheese and macadamia nuts. I added in celery sticks with the cream cheese. Five small meals for two days alternating between the cc and the nuts. I was sick of both food items by the end of two ays but it certainly worked getting me into Ketosis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭MiniSquish

Where can you buy those sticks to check for Ketosis?

MiniSquish wrote: »
    Where can you buy those sticks to check for Ketosis?

In any chemist (you'll have to ask for them) they cost about €8 for a pack of 50

Twenty10 wrote: »
    You could follow the Atkins Fat Fast for two days, google it. I did it when I wasn't sure if I was in Ketosis. Two days of eating small meals of Cream cheese and macadamia nuts. I added in celery sticks with the cream cheese. Five small meals for two days alternating between the cc and the nuts. I was sick of both food items by the end of two ays but it certainly worked getting me into Ketosis.

then did you follow a regular ketosis plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭MiniSquish

Thanks. Will get them next time I am in the chemist!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

androl, I had done the first two weeks of Atkins induction and on week three wasn't sure if I was in Ketosis. So then did the fat fast for two days and from that point on followed a low carb diet. I'm almost one year down the line now and wouldn't change my lc eating habits.

I was informed that NO-XPLODE taking that on an empty stomach would kick most people out of keto?
    Would you know if that is true?

http://www.bsnonline.net/details/noxplode.html

The next question then is what affect does getting kicked out of keto on a daily basis have on fat adaptation?

Its just that I go the gym first thing in the morning and I rely on this suppliment to give me the energy I need.

Got a great reply there on PM:

No, it would have no effect on ketosis. Actually the phrase "kicked out of ketosis" is not really accurate, since it's possible for your body to be in ketosis and burning fat, while also burning smaller amounts of carbs as well. It's not either/or.

If this is what you need to do a good workout, then go for it.

Ketosis is not an end in itself, it's a side-effect which makes it easy to stick to a good diet. But if your calories are out of line or you are not lifting hard, no amount of ketosis will get you ripped.

I'm inclined to think that the human body evolved to be frequently in ketosis, it was probably the default state for our hunter-gatherer ancestors. But they would have eaten carbs when they became available, and would have coped perfectly well with that. Your body will adjust to whatever you do.

well just a quick update...

I have been having weird dreams the past week and a scary ass very realistic nightmare that kept me awake for ages last night and so I googled and found that many people on a low carb diet have experienced this, so I must be there, and plus all the helpful replies I have got. Also my urine stinks.

But the dreams seriously WTF, wont want the nightmares continuning that creeped the **** out of me.

EileenG wrote: »
    Eggs, mackerel, salmon, rib steak, lamb chops, salads with an olive oil dressing.

Is that not a lot more protein then fat?

No, that's pretty much a balance of protein and fat. Use the olive oil dressing on the salad to balance anything that seems a bit high in protein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How long (in days) would it take to get into keto for a person who has been on a pretty balenaced diet (equalish carbs and protein, slightly lower fats)

Three to five days the first time you do it, less if you are an athlete or have done ketosis before. The first time, you'll feel pretty crap, your body thinks you are starving and it takes a while to adjust to not having an endless supply of sugar to burn. It's never as bad after that.

A lot of bodybuilders do keto six days a week, and a high carb refeed on the seventh day. They'll typically get back to ketosis in one to two days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 kevkelly90

Glad I found this thread, even created a profile to ask my question. I have been having the same issues as androl, well sort of. I have been trying to keep to a ketosis diet for the last 2 months but the idea of counting calories all the time gets a bit frustraiting and I never last.

How important is it to meassure my food intake?
    The only carbs I eat is from Veg.
    Is peanut butter (natural) bad for me?

can anybody even come up with the perfect meal plan similar to androl at the start?

Unless you are trying to cut, then measuring food intake is not important. I'm more inclined to eat to appetite, and just not eat until you are hungry.

Natural peanut butter is good for filling gaps. Don't make it the basis of a meal.

I reckon a good basic keto day might be: Mushroom and herb omlette for breakfast, fish and big green salad with olive oil dressing for lunch, steak or chicken and more veg for dinner. Whey shake after gym workout, raw nuts as snacks.

Altered Diet: Week 2

Height 5'10"
    weight 76kg (69.68 inch)
    Gym 3 days a week

MEAL 1
    2 Large Eggs
    2 Large Egg Whites
    Salmon and Crab Paste (9.8g Fat / 11.6g Pro)
    Olive Oil 10g

MEAL 2
    2 Lamb Chops
    beetroot (2 small slices)
    feta cheese
    Olive Oil 10g
    Spinach / Water Crest / Rocket

MEAL 3
    Tin of Sardines in Brine
    22 Almonds

MEAL 4
    RIb Steak
    Spinach

MEAL 5
    Protein Shake w/peanut butter and soya milk

PREWORKOUT
    Jack3d - 0 carbs

POSTWORKOUT
    Reflex Whey 1.5g car/ 20g pro/ 1.1g fat

Is that better Eileen?

Looks good. Do you get hungry six times a day, or just feel that's the number of meals you should be eating?

no thats the ammount I think I should be having.
    Why is it too much?

My goal by the way is to cut fat but keep muscle.

Six meals a day makes perfect sense if you are a bodybuilder who is bulking, and can't physically shovel in enough food in three meals. Or if you are eat a very high sugar diet, and need frequent small meals to keep your blood sugar level.

Neither applies to you, so it would make more sense to eat when you are hungry, rather than every three hours, and get used to listening to your body. Not to mention, far less time in the kitchen. One problem with keto is that the meals are generally best prepared or cooked fresh, it's hard to do good keto snacks. If you reduce the number of meals, that's less of an issue.

EileenG wrote: »
    Six meals a day makes perfect sense if you are a bodybuilder who is bulking, and can't physically shovel in enough food in three meals. Or if you are eat a very high sugar diet, and need frequent small meals to keep your blood sugar level.

Neither applies to you, so it would make more sense to eat when you are hungry, rather than every three hours, and get used to listening to your body. Not to mention, far less time in the kitchen. One problem with keto is that the meals are generally best prepared or cooked fresh, it's hard to do good keto snacks. If you reduce the number of meals, that's less of an issue.

Thats great to know, thanks for telling me.
    I was under the impression thats what I needed to do, but knowing I dont certainly will make things a lot easier now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 kevkelly90

I was just looking at both of androl food plan and it seems like there is a lot of saturated fats in it, surely that cant be good?

Also when you are counting calories and fat/protein/carbs content do you count them before or after they are cooked and what is the best way to get an accurate meassure. For example if you look on a pack it only gives you the raw readings.

Im very confused.

Advertisement