Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ketosis - having trouble getting "into it"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Saturated fats are not a problem. It's a myth that saturated fats cause heart disease, one which is lovingly repeated by the makers of margarine and yogurt drinks. Transfats are the evil ones which clog arteries.

Either count the raw food, weigh out X grams of whatever meat it is, calcalate the calories and add any extra fat used in cooking. Or cook and weigh, then look up the cals for the cooked version. Tesco often gives the nutritional values per cooked portion for its meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Ice.

EileenG wrote: »
    Saturated fats are not a problem. It's a myth that saturated fats cause heart disease, one which is lovingly repeated by the makers of margarine and yogurt drinks.

It's a myth that saturated fats are not a problem, one which is lovingly repeated by the meat & dairy industries and their proxies.

Transfats are the evil ones which clog arteries.

You better strike ruminants off your consumption list then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Ice. wrote: »
    It's a myth that saturated fats are not a problem, one which is lovingly repeated by the meat & dairy industries and their proxies.

You better strike ruminants off your consumption list then.

Nobody cares about your vegan bullshit.

Davei141 wrote: »
    Nobody cares about your vegan bullshit.

I guess people like to hear good things about their bad habits..

Preach it.

• Advertisement

Preach it.

What is this supposed to mean?

It means your problem is with people who don't subscribe to veganism and has nothing to do with foods being healthy or unhealthy.

It means your problem is with people who don't subscribe to veganism and has nothing to do with foods being healthy or unhealthy.

I don't have a problem with people who don't "subscribe to veganism". What I do have a problem with is misinformation that is propagated and regurgitated ad infinitum. I won't be a cheerleader for the "saturated animal fat is good" brigade. That kind of information is either desperately ignorant or deliberately irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nobody said it was good, they said it wasn't bad.
    Saturated fats are animal based.
    A coconut is a decent proportion of saturated fat

Saturated fats are not a problem. It's a myth that saturated fats cause heart disease, one which is lovingly repeated by the makers of margarine and yogurt drinks. Transfats are the evil ones which clog arteries.

Really? I thought it was all about the packing efficiency of the fatty acid chains, in which case saturated fats and trans fats are equal. Is it the double bond?

This is the first time I've heard anything like that, I'm really confused.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

Well anyway back to the topic:

Can too much protein stop you from getting into ketosis?

Well anyway back to the topic:

Can too much protein stop you from getting into ketosis?

Yes, since in large qualities it can be broken down into glucose, but this is more of a protein with supplemental protein powders like whey than with real food.

Really? I thought it was all about the packing efficiency of the fatty acid chains, in which case saturated fats and trans fats are equal. Is it the double bond?

This is the first time I've heard anything like that, I'm really confused.

The first time you've heard that transfats are evil?

The first time you've heard that transfats are evil?

Nope. But I'm due to sit a metabolism exam next week and this is the first time I've heard there's a difference between transfats and saturated fats. You're usually the voice of truth on these things so I assumed you know something I don't. Is it the double bond?

OP, sorry bout being off-topic, if this isn't cleared up easily I'll start a fresh thread for it, I don't mean to hi-jack.

Apart from a few naturally occurring transfats like CLA, transfats are usually cheap vegetable oils which have been chemically processed to make them solid at room temperature and which your body can't handle. The human body has thousands of years of experience of digesting sat fats, but not transfats. For a long time, people doing studies tended to lump sat fats and trans fat in together, and so a steak with 20g of sat fat was counted in the same category as fries with 20g of highly processed and overheated transfats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭whiteonion

I don't excersise so I wonder is it possible for a person with my lifestyle to stay in ketosis on 40-50 grams of carbohydrates a day. I have been a bit to liberal with the carbs latley. How low do I need to go to stay in ketosis?

whiteonion wrote: »
    I don't excersise so I wonder is it possible for a person with my lifestyle to stay in ketosis on 40-50 grams of carbohydrates a day. I have been a bit to liberal with the carbs latley. How low do I need to go to stay in ketosis?

Lower the carbs to get into ketosis, then add a few more gradually to find what level will keep you in ketosis. This varies from person to person, there is no set amount.

hows does this lok, going to give it a shot next week

Breakfast: Bacon and eggs
    Snack: Protein shake
    Lunch: chicken or tuna with capsicum, mushrooms, chilli
    Pre-gym Protein shake
    Post gym milk or similar drink
    dinner: chicken/steak with brocolli or similar
    snack: nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

The first time, you'll feel pretty crap, your body thinks you are starving and it takes a while to adjust to not having an endless supply of sugar to burn. It's never as bad after that.

Crap as in feeling light headed and weakish? I had a bout of that last week and I think now it must be because I entered ketosis. Eating very few carbs (I haven't quantified them, but between 100 and 70g I would say, possibly less)..

Sounds about right. Are you feeling normal again?

• Advertisement

Yes, better than before actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Considering the daily cardio you do too tremelo, you're deffo in ketosis i imagine. Usually crappy feeling at first, like strong caffeine withdrawls and then feel good and then great.

Considering the daily cardio you do too tremelo, you're deffo in ketosis i imagine. Usually crappy feeling at first, like strong caffeine withdrawls and then feel good and then great.

Yes, the wind was really knocked out of my sails for a few days. Where before I could cycle non-stop for 1.5 hours and be recovered within a moment or two, last week I was almost dead after 20 minutes, and dizzy to boot. Not pleasant, but it's a good feeling now that that's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Isnt 70-100g quite a high amount of carbs to be able to reach ketosis at?? I would have thought it would definetely need to be under 50g anyway. Does it just come down to an individual's carb tolerance?

danlen wrote: »
    Isnt 70-100g quite a high amount of carbs to be able to reach ketosis at?? I would have thought it would definetely need to be under 50g anyway. Does it just come down to an individual's carb tolerance?

Yeah, see I think I'm dipping in and out of it. I don't think I'm in full-blown ketosis. The only carbs I'm getting come from perhaps 350g vegetables every day and maybe 3 or four pieces of small fruit.

That, and the amount of exercise they do. I know people who can be in ketosis on 150g of carbs, because they do a lot of cycling. The 20g figure you see so often is the point at which you can't possibly avoid ketosis, even if you do nothing but lie in bed all day.

Once ketosis is established, most people raise their carb intake until they find the level at which they can eat comfortably while staying in ketosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Yeah that makes sense, presumably because the amount of extra energy required for exercise will mean that the glucose in the system provided by the carbs will be completely used up, and hence ketones will still be required as a fuel requirement??

Would a glucose meter be more accurate in predicting ketosis than using the usual ketostix? I'm starting a keto diet soon and I was thinking of using one as a measure...

Really not worth it unless you have specific medical issues, and having tried it, I can tell you that pricking yourself to get the blood to do the tests gets old really quickly. Don't know how they do it at Pelican House that they always get enough for a sample, but when I tried getting big drops of blood using the pricky thing in the kit, it never bled enough to be useful.

Besides, your body is very good at keeping glucose levels normal in your body, so that even in ketosis, you'll have a basic amount of circulating glucose, you just won't get the peaks after meals.

Ketostix are handy enough, and honestly, you'll soon get to know the feeling of being in ketosis and not need them.

Don't know how they do it at Pelican House that they always get enough for a sample, but when I tried getting big drops of blood using the pricky thing in the kit, it never bled enough to be useful.
    it's simple that they use a gibber gauge needle, prehaps deeper too.
    that's fine for once in a blue moon, but the regular/hpuse use ones need to be smaller if you are doing it every day, or even a few imes a day.

also, any comments on my diet plan above, starting monday

• Advertisement

Just tested with Ketostix. I'm definitely in ketosis with a reading of 40mg/dL (two + signs or 'Moyen' on the container legend).

Is there an optimal reading for those wishing to be in ketosis?

Advertisement