Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ketosis - having trouble getting "into it"

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

No, it's like being pregnant, any shade of pink is fine.

You'll probably find you test darker first thing in the morning or after a long cardio session, any time your urine is concentrated, in fact. And you'll find that as you spend more time in ketosis, you'll register less on the ketostix, because your body starts using all the ketones to fuel your life, and doesn't waste them by pissing them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mellor wrote: »
    hows does this lok, going to give it a shot next week

Breakfast: Bacon and eggs
    Snack: Protein shake
    Lunch: chicken or tuna with capsicum, mushrooms, chilli
    Pre-gym Protein shake
    Post gym milk or similar drink
    dinner: chicken/steak with brocolli or similar
    snack: nuts

Anyone?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Anyone?

How do you feel on it? Is this a short term thing for weight loss?

You look like are going to the gym every day, so if it was me, I'd reduce protein with dinner (you're still getting lots throughout the rest of the day) and replace with a small portion of carbs such as 130g cooked white rice or medium baked potato with an added fat like coconut milk or butter or sour cream. I find I sleep better and recover easier when I keep protein away from bedtime, but that could be just me.

Feel fine, I've done the occasional day where I had almost zero carbs, but never for more than a single day.

Didn't go to the gym yesterday, so tried to keep carbs lower.

I'll go tonight so today wil be;
    BF: 3 Eggs with butter
    Lunch: Tuna with muchrooms, onions and peppers
    Snack: 30g Nuts and raisins
    Pre-gym: Shake
    dinner steak and veg
    snack: 30g Nuts and raisins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dxVe

I'm 17 and I have a very varied diet(eat what i want when I want basically) and I'm not fat by any means but want to lose some of the fat I have, fast. What should I do ? Tried a low carb diet but gave up as I needed chocolate and prob wasn't doing it perfect. :confused: cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

dxVe wrote: »
    I'm 17 and I have a very varied diet(eat what i want when I want basically) and I'm not fat by any means but want to lose some of the fat I have, fast. What should I do ? Tried a low carb diet but gave up as I needed chocolate and prob wasn't doing it perfect. :confused: cheers

Hey mate,

At your age you shouldn't really be worrying about types of diets per se, just eat healthy as much as you can. You can go low-carb as you mentioned but remember you don't need to stop just because you had some chocolate or weren't "doing it perfect", just eat well most of the time (a lot of people aim for 80% of the time) and if you don't every now and again don't worry about it and start again.

I think the best advice I can give you is to educate yourself a bit on nutrition and just try to make good choices from there. A good place to start would be the stickies in this forum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dxVe

danlen wrote: »
    Hey mate,

At your age you shouldn't really be worrying about types of diets per se, just eat healthy as much as you can. You can go low-carb as you mentioned but remember you don't need to stop just because you had some chocolate or weren't "doing it perfect", just eat well most of the time (a lot of people aim for 80% of the time) and if you don't every now and again don't worry about it and start again.

I think the best advice I can give you is to educate yourself a bit on nutrition and just try to make good choices from there. A good place to start would be the stickies in this forum...

Just want to lose a bit of fat to so that muscles are more defined haha but yeah thanks a lot mate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

Yes, it is possible to bulk on CKD. The trick is to bring your carb-ups closer together and make them bigger. Instead of carbing-up once a week, make it every four or five days, as soon as your glycogen is fully depleted, then do a big carb-up. Keep it clean. I know one guy who did an amazing bulk by eating 4000-5000 cals of chicken breast and brown rice at each carb-up. You can vary it more than that, but keep it very clean.

Play it by ear, or rather by eye. If you see signs of the belly returning, lower your cals a bit, and see what works for you. Keep lifting like a madman. If you want to put on a lot of solid muscle, you've got to be lifting like crazy.

hows does this lok, going to give it a shot next week

Breakfast: Bacon and eggs
    Snack: Protein shake
    Lunch: chicken or tuna with capsicum, mushrooms, chilli
    Pre-gym Protein shake
    Post gym milk or similar drink
    dinner: chicken/steak with brocolli or similar
    snack: nuts

Its a very late reply but hey..you might still need the advice:

If its to get into keto, I would suggest;

Cutting out the milk
    and
    making sure your protein shake has very little carbs and have it post workout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 kevkelly90

Yes, it is possible to bulk on CKD. The trick is to bring your carb-ups closer together and make them bigger. Instead of carbing-up once a week, make it every four or five days, as soon as your glycogen is fully depleted, then do a big carb-up. Keep it clean. I know one guy who did an amazing bulk by eating 4000-5000 cals of chicken breast and brown rice at each carb-up. You can vary it more than that, but keep it very clean.

Play it by ear, or rather by eye. If you see signs of the belly returning, lower your cals a bit, and see what works for you. Keep lifting like a madman. If you want to put on a lot of solid muscle, you've got to be lifting like crazy.

So like does that mean ckd diet mon to thurs then carb up fri sat and sun?????????

• Advertisement

No, more likely to do keto for three or four days, then a one to two day carb-up, and repeat. Do keto until you are fully depleted of glycogen while lifting heavy, then carb-up.

EileenG wrote: »
    No, more likely to do keto for three or four days, then a one to two day carb-up, and repeat. Do keto until you are fully depleted of glycogen while lifting heavy, then carb-up.

How do you know when you are fully depleted of glycogen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

This is fully explained in the doc attached:)

kevkelly90 wrote: »
    How do you know when you are fully depleted of glycogen?

When you feel like a slug with hair. When you have to switch hands to brush your teeth, and you don't bother brushing your hair because you are so knackered.

Its a very late reply but hey..you might still need the advice:

If its to get into keto, I would suggest;

Cutting out the milk
    and
    making sure your protein shake has very little carbs and have it post workout.

I'm no longer on that paticular diet. But that was targeted keto, which is why I had some milk around training. Didn't affect ketosis.
    I since switched to CKD. I've found I can get into ketosis pretty quick, assuming I cut carbs on day one, i test on day 3 morning (so 48 hours of that diet) and it registers, never tested earlier tbh.

Normally do it for 4 days, then relax for 3 days and repeat

I'm no longer on that paticular diet. But that was targeted keto, which is why I had some milk around training. Didn't affect ketosis.
    I since switched to CKD. I've found I can get into ketosis pretty quick, assuming I cut carbs on day one, i test on day 3 morning (so 48 hours of that diet) and it registers, never tested earlier tbh.

Normally do it for 4 days, then relax for 3 days and repeat

So for example:

Mon - fat
    Tues - fat
    Wed - fat
    Thur - fat
    Fri - carb
    Sat - carb
    Sun - carb

Mon - fat
    Tues - fat
    Wed - fat
    Thur - fat
    Fri - carb
    Sat - carb
    Sun - carb

Is 4/3 a good split? I've been doing 5/2 as much as I possibly can. Start the Carb up at 6/7pm on a Friday and then cut them all out after lunch time Sunday.

Is 4/3 a good split? I've been doing 5/2 as much as I possibly can. Start the Carb up at 6/7pm on a Friday and then cut them all out after lunch time Sunday.

I was getting great results on a 5/2 (Saturday and Sunday Carb Up).
    I am altering it now to get more size.

Emmet, I'd rather a 5/2 split, but its just wasn't working with my schedule/lifestyle.
    I was just not dedicated enough to make the weekend work.

Advertisement