Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regrets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The only one I can think of right now is doing TY. I like where the extra year has left me (not going to college at 17, I like my class, all that), but it was the worst school year I had and I got separated from a lot of really good friends who didn't do it. I didn't think it would matter at the time but them leaving school a year ahead of me and almost finishing college now has grown us all apart.

I've heard lots of people they were really glad they did TY, you're the first person I've heard say the opposite. I didn't have the option of doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I've heard lots of people they were really glad they did TY, you're the first person I've heard say the opposite. I didn't have the option of doing it.

In schools where it is properly run, the majority of people do it. We had a very very small year (only around 25) that was just made up of little cliques. The TY coordinator had been doing it for years and was just bored of everything so we went on 1 trip (to Westport :P) and put on a fairly shít play thing. Work experience was the only worthwhile thing doing. The rest of the time we had to go to normal classes where the teachers used that time to correct LC or JC stuff and leave us to talk among ourselves. Theres only so much talking you can do in a year :pac:

I tried to leave by the first week but was told I had to wait a month. After a month we still weren't allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Meh, seriously, I regret nothing, all the bad crap and good crap I've done (or haven't done), it's led me to where I am today. I like who I've turned out to be, I like (most) of the people I've met and I've pretty good friends. So for better or worse, all the things I've done so far (or haven't done) have led me to where I am, and I know I'll probably have to put up with a lot of shít before I'm done, but I like who I am and I don't plan on changing (for the worse anyway :P) :)

Reminds me of this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

I regret being getting a couple of fairly bad injuries that me made quit sport (one was my fault and the other one wasnt) and letting a couple of moments pass when I should have said/done something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Letting myself be bullied and saying nothing, for the bones of twelve years. The stuff that went on still impacts on me now, after getting help and being diagnosed with depression.
    Not telling certain people I loved them more, while I still had time.
    Not pushing myself in the Leaving Cert - I totally COULD have gotten Psychology if I'd tried harder, but I don't regret doing my one year of Drama and ending up in Arts - its let me meet the people in my life that make me happy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Tonight i regret not asking for her number. Now i wont see her for a long time and wont get a chance :/... Seems petty regret, i do apoligise for complaining. (and spelling)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Being too much of a "goody two shoes" throughout my teenage years.

+1
    I also regret not studying hard enough for my JC. The week before was not enough :rolleyes:
    Being so shy while all my friends were going mad at discos etc.
    Not going to Irish college with my friend.
    Giving up dancing.

There are many more but I've learned to forget them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

I regret reading this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Definately agree with the goody two shoes thing. I've always taken the safe option, I just haven't got the balls to go mad and do stuff that is "outside the box" or has the slightest bit of thrill to it. But I've still got 2 years of secondary to break out of it I suppose.

I think the above has definately been related to another regret of mine which someone else mentioned: my complete awkwardness and shyness in any kind of situation that is outside my very very small comfort zone. I think it's part of the reason why my best friend of the past 4 years or so isn't in my close circle of riends anymore. She got gradually more confident and I have a feeling that in her head she just got sick of waiting for me to catch up with her and get over my extreme shyness (I can barely even answer the front door if I don't know who's calling :o). My total lack of cinfidence was part of the reason why I did TY this year and I can't really tell if it's helped my a lot or not. I suppose that it has in a small way but I've still got a way to go to get there.

Other than that, I can't think of much else that I regret. There's been small decisions here and there I suppose where I just wasn't brave enough to go with the risky option because I'm boring old me.

Anyway, what's done is done, everything happens for a reason, c'est la vie. etc, etc. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

My total lack of cinfidence was part of the reason why I did TY this year and I can't really tell if it's helped my a lot or not. I suppose that it has in a small way but I've still got a way to go to get there.

I felt the same way at the end of TY last year, not really thinking TY made a big difference to my confidence levels. It's only now in Fifth Year that I look at myself and think, wow, you are so much more confident and outgoing and social than you ever thought you could be. It's possible. :)

As for me, I'm half-and-half on regretting TY or not. I like that I'll be nearly 19 starting college, and I enjoyed the year, but I've grown apart from most of my best friends through doing it and I miss them so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Saving me money for no particular reason rather than using it to enjoy myself.

Missing a load of gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭red_red_wine

I regret not persevering with my hobbies when I was smaller. I tried most things: piano, camogie, briginís, gymnastics, speech & drama...

Admittedly, I've never been the most athletic person in the world and although I did try my hardest with the camogie, I was always going to be one of the worst on the team. That being said, I wish I had tried to find a sport that suited me, there surely is something out there that I'd be moderately competent at.

I played piano up to Grade 6, but never put much work into it, other than the grade exams. I'd practice enough the week or two before those so as to get good marks, but I would only be able to play the simplest of pieces nowadays.

I know you're never too old to start a new hobby, blah blah blah, but it's certainly easier if you start it while you're young.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

My regrets change daily...
    At times I really regret not doing TY, but then I remember how unbelievably miserable I was in 5th and 6th Year, and don't reckon I could have lasted another year. But then I think, was that misery caused by the splitting up of our year because half did TY, and if I'd gone and done TY would I have been happy? (Gotta love unanswerable questions)

I also really regret the time I've wasted, and continue to waste, worrying about crap that isn't worth worrying about, yet still seems to cloud my brain and swim around in a never ending loop.

And, when I'm not regretting all that crap, there's always the lovely memories of the idiotic things I've done when drunk, nights ruined, nights which could have been so much better if I hadn't made a complete and utter twat of myself in front of people I wish hadn't seen that side of me...

That's enough depressing ****e for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭A19B1C12

Only regret I have is not playing rugby in my secondary school,although I was and still am seriously involved in and far better at Gaelic which made it hard and I was never one too fond of such intense physical contact.

But I reckon if I'd pushed through being afraid of the contact I would have been good enough and shown some of those ****s that were on the team that they weren't as good as they thought for getting on a school rugby team.

Honest to god they just walked around with massive heads like they owned the place and thought being on a school team was a massive achievment.

Give me a break..

Think I might join the rugby club everyone is in sometime if I get time and see how I get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Hahaha all these are cracking me up!

I've no idea what they say but I presume they're genius contemplations of how the mind works..

I regret not learning German..

Ich bin Noel.. Ich bin sad now.. :(
    :D hey you have a whole 2 words of german!!! you ever sort of formed a sentence. thats an achievement :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

musical.x wrote: »
    :D hey you have a whole 2 words of german!!! you ever sort of formed a sentence. thats an achievement :)

Yes! :D :pac:

I can sing 99 lufht baloonsh too.. With made up German words :)

Healium wrote: »
    Unless you regret not learning French... :D

I went out with a friend a few nights ago, who I haven't really seen since we finished the LC last summer. Our only regret is not standing up to one or two of the teachers, who were absolute nutcases.

However, I'm due to go back for an award sometime this month or next. Would it be really bitter to go up to those two teachers, and tell them what I really think of them? :pac:
    do it or you will regret not doing it ;)

Yes! :D :pac:

I can sing 99 lufht baloonsh too.. With made up German words :)
    :eek: are you sure your not german? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

musical.x wrote: »
    :eek: are you sure your not german? :D

I could probably be! I even eat food from Lidl like German sausages called something or other.. Wow I'm fair German!

I could probably be! I even eat food from Lidl like German sausages called something or other.. Wow I'm fair German!
    lidl? wooaaah dont go too far with all this german malarchy :p at least mix it up with dunnes or something :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

I regret taking that one to many mouthful's of a meal that makes you feel sluggish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I regret not making a proper go of some things first time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

I regret not asking her out, in my drunken state, i think i might :3:P:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

At the moment, theres a friend I'm madly in love with and I'm afraid if I don't do something about it I'm going to regret it forever, but I'm so scared of pushing her too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

My latest regret that I've realised was choosing this college course. It has gotten me down way more than it should have, and although I'm proud of myself for not giving up and making it to the end (well, hopefully it's the end anyway; I guess I'll know when my 4th year results are out) I wonder would I have been happier if I'd picked something else from day one. Or maybe I'd be a happier person now if I dropped out.

I also regret opening my big mouth too often and making situations worse by not knowing when to shut up. I just want to fix things but I'm never sure how to and always seem to go about it the wrong way. I have a tendency to panic if I haven't spoken to someone or heard from someone in a while; I assume that they hate me and never want to speak to me again. So I get overly-pushy, trying to force them to talk to me and inevitably just make things worse......I just wish I could let things go and leave life take it's own course rather than trying to force a particular issue.

So yeah, I really wish I had made more friends when I was young. Maybe it would have helped me cope with people better today and wouldn't make me so paranoid about losing the friends I already have.

Not saving money throughout my life, a couple of disastrous nights.

Apart from that, nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Gercakeage

Hhmm.. :o
    I regret falling out with friends and falling out with my cousin (who was my best friend friend from as far back as i can remember)
    Not studying enough for the junior cert or the leaving cert :rolleyes: .. the list could go on .. oh and i regret not putting enough milk in my coffee this morning and scalding my poor tongue! :p :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Acting like a p*ick at a 21st the other night infront of people I should be trying to impress. Had way too much to drink and woke up to my mam telling me that out of no where I started shouting at my Dad on the dance floor in front of everyone. Everything is grand now and he was only laughing at it cause he was hammered aswell but im great freinds with my Dad and I feel so ashamed about it now, cant stop thinking bout it.

Thats me off the drink until I can learn when to stop at my limit.

Advertisement