Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor socket to mains board or garage board?

Options
  • 10-04-2011 9:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

My girlfriend is starting to construct a raised pond area in the back garden next week.

She wants to have a double outdoor socket for the pond pump.

My question is.....

What would be the best place to wire the SWA back to.

The mains board in the house or the fuse board in the garage?

Also what size of SWA would be enough for an outdoor double socket and a small pond pump?Pond pump has a normal 13amp fused plug on it.

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭rob w

It doesnt really matter which board it gets wired back to really. Whatever one works out easiest for you.

For sizing the cable it depends on the length really, what sort of distance is it? If its not an extremely long run, 2.5mm would prob suffice!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Distance wize.........................

A shade under 30 meters if I go from the mains fuse board in the house

12 meters if I go from the fuseboard in the garage.

So what size of SWA would best suit for a outdoor double socket?

Pond pump and some small outdoor garden lights,thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

2.5 to the shed board would be fine for a 12m run.

You could tube the swa when you get it inside the shed, or just go up beside the existing conduit (funny how we all know the inside of your shed:)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

From the shed board anyway as its a lot shorter a run, and keeps it all simple as well.

cast_iron wrote: »
    You could tube the swa when you get it inside the shed, or just go up beside the existing conduit (funny how we all know the inside of your shed:)).

True, put a 20mm steel tube beside your existing 25mm one:D

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    True, put a 20mm steel tube beside your existing 25mm one:D

Funny man..........:D

Garage fuse board it is so.:)

cast_iron wrote: »
    2.5 to the shed board would be fine for a 12m run.

You know it more than I do.:D

So does 2.5 come in SWA or is it just an outdoor waterproof outer sleeve on it?

I have 2 spare cable ducts run in the garden trench (from the garage out to the patio area and from house into the garage) that have a fish wire pre-installed in them.I was thinking ahead and with regards the future on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

when I did this I brought it from the house fuse board via the utility room where I have a 2 zone time clock leading to two single outdoor sockets which allows control of pump and lights independently
    Just an idea

Carlow52 wrote: »
    when I did this I brought it from the house fuse board via the utility room where I have a 2 zone time clock leading to two single outdoor sockets which allows control of pump and lights independently
    Just an idea

So a run of cable from the house fuseboard to the utility room?

How did you install it from the utility room ut to the garden?

Did you fit to plug sockets and then use 2 x 24 hour timers?

And then run the leads from the timers out into the garden?

Or is there a much easier method?

paddy147 wrote: »
    So a run of cable from the house fuseboard to the utility room?
    yes
    How did you install it from the utility room ut to the garden?
    2 runs of swa
    Did you fit to plug sockets and then use 2 x 24 hour timers?
    no, proper landis and gyr 2 zone timer fitted inline
    And then run the leads from the timers out into the garden?
    yes from the 2 zone clock
    Or is there a much easier method?
    send the gf out in the rain to unplug it each time:D
    no bother

• Advertisement

yes

2 runs of swa

no, proper landis and gyr 2 zone timer fitted inline

yes from the 2 zone clock

send the gf out in the rain to unplug it each time:D

no bother

Big thanks for all that (love the bit about the girlfriend).:D

1 more quick question.......

Is this inline timer/clock fully programmable to suit what ever day or time you wish?

Any links to it or where I could buy 1?

Thanks.

Its just a standard timer as used for central heating systems: the one I have is years old
    see here for ideas
    http://www.raygrahams.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4517&osCsid=uofhl9e3p4uamq8gh1t50suh03
    just check the power consumption of the kit in amps before u buy a clock as some are only 3 amp others are 5 and others are 16 for immersions

just check the power consumption of the kit in amps before u buy a clock as some are only 3 amp others are 5 and others are 16 for immersions

So whats best suited for running the 2 outdoor sockets then?

3,5 or 16?

Thanks again.:)

If you do go from the house fuseboard to a timer in the utility room, you just need a 2.5 t&e to the timer from the board.

You could do it from a socket in the dining room, but problems on the outdoor socket would trip your main house sockets RCD, although an isloator switch beside the socket you loop from would allow you to reset after isolating the circuit with that switch.

A 5 x 2.5 swa would probably do you for 2 channel timing out from the timer instead of 2 seperate 3 core swa`s if you use a twin outdoor socket as they have their own seperate terminals in each half of the twin socket i think.

If you do go from the house fuseboard to a timer in the utility room, you just need a 2.5 t&e to the timer from the board.

You could do it from a socket in the dining room, but problems on the outdoor socket would trip your main house sockets RCD, although an isloator switch beside the socket you loop from would allow you to reset after isolating the circuit with that switch.

A 5 x 2.5 swa would probably do you for 2 channel timing out from the timer instead of 2 seperate 3 core swa`s if you use a twin outdoor socket as they have their own seperate terminals in each half of the twin socket i think.

Thanks very much for that.:)

I would go from the fuseboard itself,than off an existing socket in the kitchen,for the very reason you have pointed out.

Im presuming that a 5 x 2.5 SWA means a 5 core 2.5 square SWA,Yes??

Is that thick SWA?

The 3 core 10 square SWA that I previously ran was just on 19mm thick.

Also,would an MK outdoor 2 gang/double socket and lid do the trick??

Thanks.

A 4 x 2.5 (4 core 2.5 square SWA) is all you need in fact and would be a good bit smaller than the 3x10. It just saves you running 2 seperate 3x2.5 cables, glanding etc. The same earth and neutral will do for both sockets but now you have 2 Live conductors for the 2 timer channels.

A twin outdoor MK socket should be good. They have each half of the socket with seperate terminals as far as i remember, so you just loop the earth and neutral, and then a live to each using the 2 other cores so they can be timed seperately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

dunno what he's doing but i wouldn't use 2 separate phase/line conductors for a double socket like that:D

M cebee wrote: »
    dunno what he's doing but i wouldn't use 2 separate phase/line conductors for a double socket like that:D

He is putting a twin outdoor socket up with seperate timer channels to each apparently. Maybe 2 cables is better alright. But would need 2 seperate sockets to keep ye happy:)

i meant 2 sockets

could be dodgy switching both sides of a socket separately like that

might not be a big deal i suppose-if there's a switched spur for socket

M cebee wrote: »
    i meant 2 sockets

could be dodgy switching both sides of a socket separately like that

I know, im agreein with ye:pac:

• Advertisement

My woman says that the pond pump "has" to be on 24/7,but it uses shag all electricity.Its to do with the watwr quality and fish survival.

So apparently now,I dont need a timer,just a normal run of SWA from garage fuseboard to an MK outdoor double socket.

With regards the garden lights,she said to me "ah sure just stick down some solar lights and that will be grand.".

Bleedin women eh???:pac::D

You should put in 5 timers, she will change her mind. Women can never ,make up their mind, or can they:eek:

haven't read through thread but usually you'd you'd be using an extra core at least to allow for separate control of lighting and pumps if that's what's planned

lights via photocell and timer

-photocell on and timer off

You should put in 5 timers, she will change her mind. Women can never ,make up their mind, or can they:eek:

I give in at this stage.I bet that the pond location will now be changed too.:pac:

I give in at this stage.I bet that the pond location will now be changed too.:pac:

What pond is this now paddy:D

What pond is this now paddy:D

Shes building some type of large rectangular shaped raised pond from railway sleepers and pond liner and then shes going to put in somewater plants and flowers and stock it with some koi carp.She did up a garden design plan on her PC.

Shes actually worse than me (if that can be believed).:D

If i was putting in circuits for a pond i would use an outdoor JB or enclosure myself and a multicore cable or 2 to it from the house. Then you have more options as well.

Shes building some type of large rectangular shaped raised pond from railway sleepers and pond liner and then shes going to put in some water plants and flowers and stock it with some koi carp.She did up a garden design plan on her PC.

Shes actually worse than me (if that can be believed).:D

whats the plan for keeping the cranes away from the ajh carp:D

My neighour has a problem with them, he bought a plastic one and they just land on it.

Think about some supports for netting over it.
    She did up a garden design plan on her PC.

project it on the wall as in Bladerunner

whats the plan for keeping the cranes away from the ajh carp:D

My neighour has a problem with them, he bought a plastic one and they just land on it.

Think about some supports for netting over it.

They will be down alright, the heron`s. Cleared out the uncles one before of all the bigger fish.

• Advertisement

A couple of runs of heavy duty plant climbing wire accorss the pond area.

Her dad has a large Koi Carp pond in his back garden with about 40 fish,and he did the same after a heron took some of his fish stock 5 years ago.

He hasnt lost a fish since then,thanks to the climbing wire trick.:)

Advertisement