Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back in the Land of the Free

Options
  • 10-04-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭

Moved to Arizona last Monday.

Got my Arizona driving license Friday.

Applied for Concealed Carry permit yesterday, will take the course next Saturday. Should be approved within 14 days.

In the meantime, I can present my driving license, take an instant background check and buy any rifle, shotgun or handgun on the premises and take it home with me the same day. And guess what - I haven't turned into a crazed gunman either.

The local indoor range allows firing of any handgun calibre, and rifle calibres up to .30-06.

Looking forward to elk hunting this Autumn, as well as some Texas & California pig hunting.

Don't be too jealous folks! ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I'm jealous !

Have fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

what a prick

have fun out there and keep us updated and maybe we'll all move over to you:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Sounds a bit too easy for my liking to be honest, I'd prefer a happy medium somewhere in between what we have and the system over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

post reported.

Purely for rubbing our noses in it :)

best of luck over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Sounds a bit too easy for my liking to be honest, I'd prefer a happy medium somewhere in between what we have and the system over there.

I understand your point, but the way it works here is that you are not presumed to be a threat (like we are in Ireland).
    There is a constitutional right to own a firearm here, with no valid reason required. Quite the opposite in fact - there has to be a reason why you cannot own one.

At first glance it appears that it is too easy to get a gun here, but we often look at it from our own European perspective.

Looked at it from an American perspective, its like buying a car, a drill or any other useful object.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I understand your point, but the way it works here is that you are not presumed to be a threat (like we are in Ireland).
    There is a constitutional right to own a firearm here, with no valid reason required. Quite the opposite in fact - there has to be a reason why you cannot own one.

At first glance it appears that it is too easy to get a gun here, but we often look at it from our own European perspective.

Looked at it from an American perspective, its like buying a car, a drill or any other useful object.

Good point, maybe that's why they call it the land of the free.

What you doing for work over there Pkierman? I thought things were very bad there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

well for ya
    mad jealous i am

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

in "bowling for columbine" when he joined a bank he got a free rifle.
    madness.

garv123 wrote: »
    in "bowling for columbine" when he joined a bank he got a free rifle.
    madness.

Thats actually untrue, and BS propaganda put forth by Michael Moore.

The bank in question offered a certificate that could be redeemed at a local gunstore for a rifle or shotgun. Banks are not allowed to sell firearms, only Federally licensed firearms dealers.

Moore portrayed it in such a way as to have people believe that the bank staff were handing over guns to new clients.

Firearms here are tools used and owned perfectly legally by over 75 million people, not killing machines held by psycopaths.

Anyway, I didn't mean for this post to turn in to a right to own issue.

Will post pics and videos of my first machine gun shoot when possible.

P'man I assume you have US citizenship?

• Advertisement

Yes, fortunate enough to hold both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

You don't have a spare room i could come and stay in do you ? It just goes to show that in america the government works for the people , not like ireland where we work for them , nearly the entire population doesn't want the bank
    bail out but they do it anyway.

Yes, fortunate enough to hold both.

You are lucky :cool:

I assume also that someone without US citizenship wouldn't be able to what you have described above?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bitter

rowa wrote: »
    You don't have a spare room i could come and stay in do you ? It just goes to show that in america the government works for the people , not like ireland where we work for them , nearly the entire population doesn't want the bank
    bail out but they do it anyway.

It kinda works the same over here but Ireland sadly has more corruption & stupidity in it's system. What happened in Ireland was beyond belief and the apathy of the people was pathetic to say the least.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

I put in for the green card lottery every year. Still no luck. I was in AZ back in 1998 for 7 months and did truckloads of shooting there. Would move there in a heartbeat:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I assume also that someone without US citizenship wouldn't be able to what you have described above?

Not sure about that Bunny, I will have to check it out. I thought that if you were in the US legally, you could own firearms.

PKiernan is lucky - just happened to be in one of the most gun friendly states there are.

True, throughout the US buying long guns is considerably easier than Ireland, assault weapons aside.

However, carrying a concealed weapon is another story. AZ is an unrestricted state, that is unusual. The other states are: shall issue, may issue, and no issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Shallissue2011.gif
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a8/Rtc.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Not true BS. I moved over in late Feb. To buy a firearm as a 'non-resident alien' all I need here in Pennsylvannia is 90 days proof of state residence (i.e. 3 x Utility bills), state hunting licence ($25 online :eek:), US Visa documents, and state drivers licence. I just have another month and a bit to wait ;). If I feel the urge for concealed carry, no issue there either. When you think about it, it's a bit scary.

I had to give up my mossberg when I left, but I'll be making sure I pick a shorter, meaner version.... Just because I can.. :D. Oh, and a Beretta 92FS. And maybe an FN SCAR... :rolleyes:

The ATF very nicely have a pretty website all about it.. ATF Linky..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

bigred wrote: »
    ... To buy a firearm as a 'non-resident alien' all I need here in Pennsylvannia is 90 days proof of state residence (i.e. 3 x Utility bills), ...
    The ATF very nicely have a pretty website all about it.. ATF Linky..
    That's what I thought.

Thanks for the link. Will inform the cousin.;)

God Bless America!

I so wanna move to the US of A :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Whereabouts in AZ did you move to Pkierman??I lived for a year in Scotts dale and in Phoenix.Actually right on the road that is the boundary between the two cities[Saddleback Rd]One of the better years of my life...And I did the dumbest thing EVER...I came back here for a mates wedding!!:(.Best thing once you are out of Ireland,stay out!!!If i didnt have a pile of responsibilities now,and getting a bit too old to run now..I'd be on the next plane out there as well.
    Not that I need tell you ,but check out the Crossroads of the West gunshow when it hits Phoenix once every three months.Everything and then some related to guns.Picture the RDS under one roof,with it totally dedicated to guns of all kinds.From air pistols to full auto Browning 50 cals..Heaven!!!:D:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

What ****ing system:eek: Thank god your not a GS or Super (or are you).:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

What ****ing system:eek: Thank god your not a GS or Super (or are you).:rolleyes:

Sorry for upsetting you there boss ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

OP, you know you don't need that carry permit in AZ, don't you? ;) You can carry right away as soon as you can buy a gun. Handy to have for other states though.

As BigRed says there is no issue with foreigners having access to all this as long as you can stay in the country for more than 90 consecutive days. You don't even need permanent residency, a business visa will do. And you can get a concealed carry license in many states, and even a federal collector's license from the ATF all on that visa (I know because I have one). I know you can get a federal dealer's license without being a citizen also but you might need permanent residency for that (I doubt it though).

(BigRed, don't be surprised if you get denied on your first attempt. PM me if you have any hassle, I've been through it all before many times)

firefly08 wrote: »
    OP, you know you don't need that carry permit in AZ, don't you? ;) You can carry right away as soon as you can buy a gun. Handy to have for other states though.

As BigRed says there is no issue with foreigners having access to all this as long as you can stay in the country for more than 90 consecutive days. You don't even need permanent residency, a business visa will do. And you can get a concealed carry license in many states, and even a federal collector's license from the ATF all on that visa (I know because I have one). I know you can get a federal dealer's license without being a citizen also but you might need permanent residency for that (I doubt it though).

(BigRed, don't be surprised if you get denied on your first attempt. PM me if you have any hassle, I've been through it all before many times)

A concealed carry permit is required in AZ according to Az State Law:

http://www.azdps.gov/Links/ARS/?l=13/03112.htm

However, it is an open carry state, meaning that one can carry a firearm on ones hip if it is plainly visible. I don't wish to do this myself.
    In AZ, it is also a requirement that you be a US citizen (although not necessarily resident in Az) to get a CCW permit here.

However, it is an open carry state, meaning that one can carry a firearm on ones hip if it is plainly visible. I don't wish to do this myself.
    In AZ, it is also a requirement that you be a US citizen (although not necessarily resident in Az) to get a CCW permit here.

You should do it once for the craic.
    You can use a shoulder rig too.
    It is ,coming from an European perspective a most weird feeling.You are carrying a firearm in public on your person, in plain sight,and no one gives a toss really or pays you a second glance.[Proably because they might be carrying as well?].
    So long as you dont go near a school or any Govt building,or any town that might have declared in the ordinances that carrying in public is an offence[ punishable by two dollars fine,as some of those are still hold overs from the not so wild west times:)],or any place that has declared themselves as policy "gun free"[No worries there,they are the ones who are robbed, usually at gunpoint all the time:):rolleyes:].You know you really are in the land of the free!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Not so; have a look at this

I don't have a link to the relevant statute but AZ has been a constitutional carry state since last year. You do not need a permit of any kind to carry a concealed firearm. The permit is only still in existence for the sake of reciprocity with other states.

AZ is now one of 4 such states - Wyoming recently joined the list along with Vermont and Alaska. A number of other states have similar bills in the works.

That's also incorrect; even your own link above states:
    E. The department of public safety shall issue a permit to an applicant who meets all of the following conditions:

1. Is a resident of this state or a United States citizen.

So as long as you live in AZ you don't have to be a US citizen.
    You are carrying a firearm in public on your person, in plain sight,and no one gives a toss really or pays you a second glance

I wouldn't bet money on that either. For instance, CA is an open-carry state; you can carry openly with no permit. But try it and see how long the police ignore you...

Personally,there isnt much you can do in California anymore,unless it is with somone of the same sex.Especially with firearms.While it is true that State law might permit it,Local and city ordinances proably wont.It was one reason the Black Panthers movement in the 1960s could appear in the towns armed with shotguns and rifles,but not handguns.As they were unconcealable[more or less]..Anyway,who'd want to live in California,lovely State,pity about its inhabitants,its taxes,its meddling liberal policies in just about everything,and it is more financially broke than Ireland!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Personally,there isnt much you can do in California anymore,unless it is with somone of the same sex.Especially with firearms.While it is true that State law might permit it,Local and city ordinances proably wont.It was one reason the Black Panthers movement in the 1960s could appear in the towns armed with shotguns and rifles,but not handguns.As they were unconcealable[more or less]..Anyway,who'd want to live in California,lovely State,pity about its inhabitants,its taxes,its meddling liberal policies in just about everything,and it is more financially broke than Ireland!!:eek:

When the 'Big One' strikes(and it will), it'll all just fall into the sea and the red-necks will rise again :cool:

Beach front property for all in AZ East of Lake Salton then!!:D:D.

Pity about the Nappa valley and the wine growing region....but then some
    of their plonk...Meh!! maybe not such a big loss!!:D

• Advertisement

firefly08 wrote: »
    Not so; have a look at this

I don't have a link to the relevant statute but AZ has been a constitutional carry state since last year. You do not need a permit of any kind to carry a concealed firearm. The permit is only still in existence for the sake of reciprocity with other states.

AZ is now one of 4 such states - Wyoming recently joined the list along with Vermont and Alaska. A number of other states have similar bills in the works.

That's also incorrect; even your own link above states:

So as long as you live in AZ you don't have to be a US citizen.

I wouldn't bet money on that either. For instance, CA is an open-carry state; you can carry openly with no permit. But try it and see how long the police ignore you...

Just going on my own reading of the laws and discussions with gunstore owners I'll be getting a permit - though you could well be right.

With regard to CA, open-carry there is strictly regulated on a county-by-county basis and even town-by-town basis.

Advertisement