Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Faulty batteries or dodgy charger?

• 10-04-2011 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭

I've just bought three new Intellect 1600 mAh batteries from Ehobby and when I go to charge them they appear to be shorting my fast charger (there is a spark between the charger and battery connectors and the lights on the charger turn off). Now the charger still works fine for my other batteries - all of which are 1500 mAh. The problem only appears with the new batteries. So, people with a bit of electrical know how, does this sound like a battery problem or do I need a new charger? I find it hard to believe that three new batteries could all be duds. But then the charger works fine on my older batteries.

The charger is this type http://mainirishairsoft.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=486

And these are the batteries http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/bb-battery/intellect-8-4v-1600mah-ni-mh-battery-mini-type.html

Any advice before I potentially waste money on a new charger when it may not be needed would be very much appreciated. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glicster

im no electrician but is there a chance the connectors or wires were put on the wrong way/terminals? try one in an aeg(if you havent allready) and see what happens,if it fires or if it goes in reverse.other than that wait for better answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭The_ChiefDUB

They have zero charge in them so there's nothing going on when I plug them in to an AEG.

Thanks for the input though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Have you got a multimeter? If so, test the voltage at the pins. Anything less than 6V is going to indicate a problem with the cells themselves in the pack. If the voltage appears as a negative (for example, the meter reads "-8.1V") then the connector is on with the wiring reversed.

If you don't have a meter, get one. They're essential kit for any airsofter and a basic one will set you back a measly €10 in a Maplin store.

Thanks for the advice. I know I had a multi-meter around here somewhere... I may have to buy a new one though. Things tend to disappear in my house.

So, I took the batteries down to SG Airsoft (my local shop) and the lads there plugged them in to one of the chargers that they sell and checked them with the multimeter. Looks like they are fine, so it was my charger that is the problem. This still doesn't make sense to me since it still works fine for my other batteries but sure there you go.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Update: after giving each of the batteries a partial charge on a trickle charger I put them back on to the old fast charger and hey presto - everything works perfectly. I guess they were so flat when they were shipped that they were simply drawing too much from my fast charger and causing a short circuit. Mystery solved... or is it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement