Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dauphinoise potatoes - best recipe and do they hold?

Options
  • 10-04-2011 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Having 9 over for dinner for a celebration birthday. Going to push the boat out with food. Potatoe wise, thinking that dauphinoise might be a crowd pleaser, and also hold quite well in the oven?? I've made before just for family, but never seem to get them quite right.

Would appreciate best recipes, potatoe type to use etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Rub the inside of the dish with a cut clove of garlic. I use waxy potatoes, and cut them thinly enough - don’t stress. Layer the potatoes and season every full layer and add more garlic and I use grated nutmeg too (this works very well) So when finished pour in the cream. Now the trick here is NOT to put in too much cream, don't cover the potatoes - it will bubble up perfectly. I'd say have it about 3/4s of the way up the height of the spuds. And spinkle with cheese if you want (you can put cheese in the layers too) Should take 45-60 mins in a med oven. Depending on how big your dish is.

You can prep the dish and have it waiting for the oven.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

How do you mean hold well ? the spuds usually have a little bit of bite if cooked properly. Be careful when grating the garlic ,not everyone likes strong garlic taste .I love it myself ,but not everyones the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Thanks for replies.

I meant Gratin Dauphinoise pickarooney.

Also regarding 'holding well', will they keep well in a warming oven whilst I serve starters etc. Could be 30 mins till i get around to them. I presume they will keep well at low temp, if they are nice and moist and had plenty of cream whilst cooking.

Yes eternal, I'm a garlic lover too but will go very easy on it as I know some people really don't like it too strong. What about a tiny bit thyme? I love that herb....but then again it's all down to peoples tastes. I can't please everyone (one of the guests is a chef at a fantastic restaurant in town! - no pressure!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Thanks for replies.

Also regarding 'holding well', will they keep well in a warming oven whilst I serve starters etc. Could be 30 mins till i get around to them. I presume they will keep well at low temp, if they are nice and moist and had plenty of cream whilst cooking.

Yes eternal, I'm a garlic lover too but will go very easy on it as I know some people really don't like it too strong. What about a tiny bit thyme? I love that herb....but then again it's all down to peoples tastes. I can't please everyone (one of the guests is a chef at a fantastic restaurant in town! - no pressure!).

They'll keep warm for ages if the oven is just turned off or VERY low - just cover in tin foil. They will dry out if you keep them in too high temp. Could you not just time it that they'll be ready for when dinner will be served?

Personally, I'd say no to the thyme. You'll overpower the creamy/garlicy flavour. I'd stick with nutmeg.

• Advertisement

Thanks for replies.

Thyme wont go with them.You can use the microwave to heat them as you serve.This is how its been done in professional kitchens , as the food goes out. Just put more cheese on the top beforehand .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Can you get away with using milk instead of cream? Or making a roux or something?

Don't fancy going to the shops in this weather, but DO fancy some lovely dauphinoise potatoes tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

ElleEm wrote: »
    Can you get away with using milk instead of cream? Or making a roux or something?

Don't fancy going to the shops in this weather, but DO fancy some lovely dauphinoise potatoes tonight.

I make dauphinoise in an oven proof frying pan on the hob with full fat milk and a little butter. Rub the pan with the garlic as above, add slices of potato and season well. Pour milk in until the liquid is just touching the top layer and dot with a few pieces of butter. Loosely cover with foil or parchment paper and put on the hob. As the potato cooks it absorbs some of the milk, the rest will evaporate in the cooking. Test with a knife, it takes usually about 30 minutes. As it cooks out, you can remove the foil cover and turn up the heat if its too wet.

Top with grated gruyere and finish in the oven for 10 minutes on a high heat to brown the cheese. Works a treat every time. Also a great way to cook it if the timing is hard to manage. The last 10 minutes can be done anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I use waxy potatoes too. Slice the potatoes thinly and add one layer, salt & pepper, finely chopped garlic and a sprinkling of parmesan. Repeat until dish is ¾ full. I then pour in half cream half milk into the dish and bang on for 30 minutes at 150. Nom Nom.

A roux with potatoes?? you cant do that unless you want to make someone sick .Only used for thickening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

Mmmmm... I love dauphinoise potatoes :) I only ever made them once and it was a complete disaster - my milk/cream mixture split, ugh! But perhaps its time to try again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

eternal wrote: »
    A roux with potatoes?? you cant do that unless you want to make someone sick .Only used for thickening.

Oh okay. I thought it would be a good thick milk instead of using cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Oh okay. I thought it would be a good thick milk instead of using cream.

I'm sure it would be fine. I remember making a cheese and potato bake using a roux-based sauce in Home Ec in school and it was lovely.

Roux is not a basis of Garlic Pototes .Regardless of Home Ec
    maybe if you want to mess at home and not have a proper dish then do what you want .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

eternal wrote: »
    Roux is not a basis of Garlic Pototes .Regardless of Home Ec
    maybe if you want to mess at home and not have a proper dish then do what you want .Its pretty clear on this forum anyway ,no one listens to advice ,they just do their own thing.

Thats the beauty of cooking eternal, you get to do it your own way. There are no hard and fast rules. My best friend is a Michelin star chef and uses a roux as a basis for garlic potatoes.

Thyme compliments garlic well, but can be overpowering if too much is used. Lemon thyme in particular is lovely but i doubt you would be able to find it in the supermarket, i grow my own at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

eternal - cut out the sarcasm & barbed comments. Also, if you have a problem with posters quoting you - think before you post.

Back on topic please.

HB

Advertisement