Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duck Spring Rolls from scratch

Options
  • 10-04-2011 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

I'm bombarding the boards, got a bit of a do coming up and want to give guests nice food.

Thinking of doing duck spring rolls for starters, made spring rolls before using pastry sheets from a good Asian Store. Can I prep them the day before? Rolled and ready for frying, will they hold in the fridge well? Also any tips, recipes, suggestions most greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Ok spring rolls best made earlier that day ,to avoid them going soggy .Filo pastry is whats used for spring rolls. Are you deep frying them ? They can also be cooked in the oven. The filling should be cooked first .Then they will only take couple minutes after. Dont forget to season. Plus rolling the actual rolls is a knack and takes practice ,you cant just start and have perfect results.
    Any time I ever used Filo pastry ,I used it that day .I honestly cant remember using it the following day ,once prepared . You wet the edges or some use egg to hold it together ,which means it will go soggy after a while.
    What are you putting in the rolls with the duck ? Id slow cook legs of duck and use that meat for the rolls.Red onion marmalade goes nice with duck.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

I'm bombarding the boards, got a bit of a do coming up and want to give guests nice food.

Thinking of doing duck spring rolls for starters, made spring rolls before using pastry sheets from a good Asian Store. Can I prep them the day before? Rolled and ready for frying, will they hold in the fridge well? Also any tips, recipes, suggestions most greatly appreciated.

Adverts | Friends

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilovetorun View Post
    I have never made them before so which is best?

for doing them at home u are really better off to buy a pre cooked aromatic duck from an asian foodstore or even ure local takeaway. Heres what to do

1. stir fry some beansprouts, shredded carrot, shredded courgette, shredded spring onion in a little minced garlic.
    2. Add water
    3. season with salt, pepper, and sugar
    4. Cook for 3 or 4 mins then pour into a strainer and leave to drain an to cool.
    5. Shredd ure duck
    6. when beansprouts are cold add a little 5 spice powder and a litle hoi sin sauce and mix well
    7. make the rolls using approx one quarter duck to 3 quarter beansprouts
    8. Deep fry for 3 to 4 mins
    9. Serve with hoi sin sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭jassha

If u want to prep the day before make sure the filling is well drained and not to wet. Would not use filo as it wont last, use spring roll pastry from an asian store. seal them with a little flour mixed to a paste with water, tends not to go as soggy as eggwash

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Thanks for all the feedback.

I will use the special spring roll pastry from the local asian food store. I will also buy the cooked duck halves at the same store, the vacuum packed ones. I think what'll I do is make the filling up previous day, and roll them in the morning (will make sure filling is not too wet).
    Not a fan of beansprouts so going to forgo those with finely shredded carrot/courgette/spring onion (maybe tiny bit of celery?). Will seal them with flour and water paste instead of egg wash (good tip)
    I will be deep frying them (note to self, go buy a deep fryer:-)).

Thanks, will post a pic of results if all goes well.

Advertisement