Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Beaches

Options
  • 10-04-2011 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

What is the best beach in Cork? Looking for somewhere to go to relax in the evenings and i have the road to Garrettstown worn out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Garryvoe Beach is nice. Just off the N25, turn off at Castlemartyr, head for Ladysbridge and Ballycotton. It's a straight run from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

IMO Garrettstown & Garryvoe are the best for walking because they are so long. I also like Inchadoney, Owenahincha ang Youghal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Long Strand by Castlefreke. Great dunes to sit up in and at one end of it you frequently get surfers which I find interesting to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I used to love the beach down the road from Trabolgan until someone here told me that dogging goes on in the car park. :eek:
    I've not being back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

If its just somewhere to sit down and read a book rather than walking, Rocky Bay by Roberts Cove is lovely. A small sandy beach surrounded by cliffs. There's also Roches point. Not a beach but I love sitting on the rocks there watching the boats, and sometimes the dolphins, come in and out of the harbour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Depends what you want to do there, someone mentioned castlefreke/long strand - its not suitable for swimming. Its neighbour red strand is a lovely beach with great views, also in that area inchadoney and the warren are nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Teangalad

Barley Cove maybe? if you are willing to drive a bit, mizen head around the corner some nice scenery down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

How long would Garryvoe be from Dunkettle in driving time? There's only so much Fountainstown a south city girl can take!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭kinvara64

red strand, ownahincha,the warren all between clon and ross , approx 7 miles . you could see them all in one evening.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

pow wow wrote: »
    How long would Garryvoe be from Dunkettle in driving time? There's only so much Fountainstown a south city girl can take!

From Blackrock, it rarely takes me more than 30 mins I'd say. Longer if there's traffic but that's usually around Mahon Point.

Garryvoe is great; it's really safe for dogs too.

@Cork45 - dogging goes on all over the place. You honestly let that put you off going there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

pow wow wrote: »

About 25-30 mins. AND you don't have to cane the car!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

About 25-30 mins. AND you don't have to cane the car!:D

Basil-Fawlty-car-whipping-incident-v1.jpg

Faith wrote: »
    @Cork45 - dogging goes on all over the place. You honestly let that put you off going there?

I didn't know it was that popular, I guess I'd be worried the locals might think I'm there to do a bit of dogging myself. Maybe if I had the bird with me I wouldn't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Hey there Cork 45 - are you talking about "Whitebay" which does have a big car park and is on the way to Roches Point? If so I don't believe that - I'm there frequently and I've never seen anything like that. Put it this way - if there are a few cars there you can see if anybody's in them or not. But Whitebay is a gorgeous beach when the tide is out - and throughout the summer, a lot yachts will moor just off it.

Or maybe you were talking about Guileen beach. Sorry not sure how to spell Guileen - but that's also close to Trabolgan.

Any dogger's out there - can you stick to the "woods" and leave our beach car parks alone! :-)

Ah jesus the doggers are in the woods as well?

I think it's Whitebay, There's a big car park at the top and a 5min walk down a lane to get to the beach.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

They're in car parks all over the world! Down by the Marina is a well-known spot for them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I think the OP is getting way more information than they wanted! :D

If the beaches arent up to scratch, there's always a bit of dogging to be had! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Yep, I'm gutted - it is Whitebay you're talking about - OK - so leave the car parked in the car park - run out of said car park - with head covered in hat/scarf/hoodie/dark sunglasses................ then go for a lovely walk on the main road from there to Roches Point and back. You aren't walking on the sand - but you're getting all that fresh sea air, gorgeous scenery and a good long walk (without sand in your toes).

There used to be a gorgeous cliff walk from Fort Camden through to Church Bay, (Crosshaven area) but the cliffs are crumbling and very dangerous in parts - and nobody is doing anything to save our coastline. Which is more upsetting than avoiding the doggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Judes wrote: »
    Yep, I'm gutted - it is Whitebay you're talking about - OK - so leave the car parked in the car park - run out of said car park - with head covered in hat/scarf/hoodie/dark sunglasses................ then go for a lovely walk on the main road from there to Roches Point and back. You aren't walking on the sand - but you're getting all that fresh sea air, gorgeous scenery and a good long walk (without sand in your toes).

There used to be a gorgeous cliff walk from Fort Camden through to Church Bay, (Crosshaven area) but the cliffs are crumbling and very dangerous in parts - and nobody is doing anything to save our coastline. Which is more upsetting than avoiding the doggers.

Galley head is a less busy alternative.

Advertisement