Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apollo 11

Options
  • 10-04-2011 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

After Apollo 11 landed Buzz celebrated communion with water and wine.
    So - what effect does a 1/6th gravity field have on liquids and the dynamics of flow and in this case pouring?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

well id imagine that it would be some where between normal pouring of water here on earth and the blobs of water that you see the asternauts in space drinking where there is no gravity. Dynamically id think it would be like pouring a really think liquid from a jug.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

I've always wondered this aswell. There's only one video of them in the Eagle lander in 1/6 G but it was a very confined space in there! Walking would be more like flying in any future lunar base, without those big heavy suits that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

stoneill wrote: »
    After Apollo 11 landed Buzz celebrated communion with water and wine.
    So - what effect does a 1/6th gravity field have on liquids and the dynamics of flow and in this case pouring?

Hi stoneill,i suspect that your tounge was firmly in cheek when You asked this.

here Alan Shepard(first American in space) plays golf on the Moon:

or here some of Galileo's idea's were put to the test!:)

Interesting video as to how water behaves in space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

clln wrote: »

The Royal and Ancient Golf Club at St. Andrews later informed him that he incurred a one shot penalty for grounding his club :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Actually it wasn't tongue in cheek, when I first read of Buzz performing communion I wondered what the flow of liquid was like. I also found out that Apollo 14 had a small coolant water leak into the lunar module cabin. I tried to do a bit of research and read a number of books, including Andrew Chaikin's From the Earth to the Moon and Michael Collins' Carrying the Fire .
    The ALSJ does not have any reference. There are many video references to liquids in zero or micro gravity, but none for 1/6g.
    Maybe I'll have to go there myself to find out. Anyone interested is starting up an Irish Space Administration with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Liquids on the moon would pour normally, just a lot slower.

Do not mistake liquids in free fall (weightless) with lower gravity.

stoneill wrote: »
    and Michael Collins' Carrying the Fire .

I read his Authorbiography ,is 'carrying the fire its title?
    i cannot remember.
    He is a great bloke is'nt he? and no better man to have been put in charge of the air and space museum when he retired as an Astronaut

Anyone interested is starting up an Irish Space Administration with me?

Yes Me Me Me,and as the joke goes we will be the first Nation to land Man on the Sun but it will be safe for the crew as we will land during night-time!:)

I read his Authorbiography ,is 'carrying the fire its title?
    i cannot remember.

yeah - that's his autobiography.

So now we have two members of the ISA!
    I do have some rocket building experience. When I was 10 I built a rocket from match heads and tin foil. It flew! Although it didn't go far and did scorch the kitchen table and melted some lino.

derra wrote: »
    The Royal and Ancient Golf Club at St. Andrews later informed him that he incurred a one shot penalty for grounding his club :D

:D:D:D derra!,that would be 'par for the course' for that crowd!,Alan Sheperds health was 'below par' ever since he returned from that mission!

*can terrible puns earn me an infraction?:eek:*

He did not even get to keep the club,it remained the property of the US Govt until he begged NASA that it go to the US Golf Museum in New Jersey, the one in the Smithsonian is a replica.
    apart from the six iron head the remainder he constructed from hardware brought on the flight.

his begging letter::)

shepard_a14golfclub.jpg

• Advertisement

Rubecula wrote: »
    Liquids on the moon would pour normally, just a lot slower.

Do not mistake liquids in free fall (weightless) with lower gravity.

A special video for You Rubu after your terrific account of the launch of Apollo 11 as you and your mate celebrated by stealing his fathers beer!

this will bring it back(the launch i mean,not the hangover!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

:D:D:D derra!,that would be 'par for the course' for that crowd!,Alan Sheperds health was 'below par' ever since he returned from that mission!

*can terrible puns earn me an infraction?:eek:*

He did not even get to keep the club,it remained the property of the US Govt until he begged NASA that it go to the US Golf Museum in New Jersey, the one in the Smithsonian is a replica.
    apart from the six iron head the remainder he constructed from hardware brought on the flight.

his begging letter::)

shepard_a14golfclub.jpg

Taxi for Clin :D

The club head was a Wilson make.

A piece on a forum about his shot..
    http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum29/HTML/001181.html

And a link within the first post of that...
    http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2010/10/could_you_really_hit_a_golf_ba.php

Think i made a mistake in my post about it, can't find the letter they sent to him.
    I was sure it was for grounding his club but a little search brings up this...

A cable was sent from the R&A to Alan Shepard "Please refer to rules of golf on etiquette, paragraph 6," the cable said. "Before leaving a bunker, a player should carefully fill up all holes made by him therein." :D

The claim that the ball went for miles and miles and miles was a bit enthusiastic at the time. Shepard himself stated later it was more like a 200 - 400 yard strike.
    Still, not bad for a one handed swing in a pressurised suit with limited movement.

derra wrote: »
    Taxi for Clin :D

The club head was a Wilson make.

A piece on a forum about his shot..
    http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum29/HTML/001181.html

And a link within the first post of that...
    http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2010/10/could_you_really_hit_a_golf_ba.php

Think i made a mistake in my post about it, can't find the letter they sent to him.
    I was sure it was for grounding his club but a little search brings up this...

A cable was sent from the R&A to Alan Shepard "Please refer to rules of golf on etiquette, paragraph 6," the cable said. "Before leaving a bunker, a player should carefully fill up all holes made by him therein." :D

:D:D:D
    Mission control: You need to bend your knees a little more. Keep your head down.
    Alan Shepard: I'm... wearing a space suit.
    Mission control: Just trying to help.

Advertisement