Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm back to work in the morning after Maternity leave

Options
  • 10-04-2011 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭

:eek:

Not looking forward to it,putting it mildly.

She's sleeping 9 pm to 9am, so I'll see her for 1.5 hrs a day. ( I work 8 to 6.)

My other half will look after her so at least I won't have to pull her out of bed and deposit her at a childminders.

Can't get a week off till 14 th Sept.

I've written out her shedule, bought all her stuff for the week, said good night to her and told her I won't see her till 6:30 tomorrow.

Starting to think it's not natural for a mum to work full time.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I was dreading it too, the second day was the worst, it got easier after that.

It was definitely the right decision for us, hard and all as it was.

I'll be thinking of you in the morning

Xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

You poor thing, going to be in the same situation as you. On the one hand I'm dreading it, but I keep telling myself how lucky we are that one of us can stay home with the baby and we're not BOTH missing out on such a big chunk of the little one's life while it's in a creche.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Thanks, i have this awful feeling im going to just run out of work if i get annoyed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Really hope it goes well for you. Fingers and toes crossed that you make it through the day ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

wmpdd3 I'll be in the same position in September and I'm trying not to think about it too much. Good luck today and give your little one loads of cuddles tonight when you get home.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

im in the same boat so i feel for you and i agree with you. I think a better system here would be to stay at home for 1 year on maternity leave. at least though your husband is there so the baby will be fine. could you afford paternity leave? your employer legally has to allow you to take it. so you could work either a 3 day or 4 day week?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

God I must be an awful mother. I took a years maternity leave (paid/unpaid) on my son and couldn't wait to get back to work after the year.
    I wasn't ready to go back when my son was 6 months old etc but was itching to get back by the time he was one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It was awful:(
    It took me months to get used to it but she loved every minute of it and learned so much there.
    Counting down to when maternity leave is over and I have to leave both my girls,dunno how I will cope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

No, for financial reasons paternity is out. Even 1 day per month would make a dent in our finances so thats out.

It was OK I suppose, my staff are great so that helped. I can't imagine a time when I'll be glad to go off to work but most mothers say they come in for a break, honestly.

She was dead asleep this morning when I left and didn't wake up till 7pm after her nap and I have just put her down again. So I was a mum for 1 hr 47 mins today.

I still don't think its natural to leave them at 6 months... maybe 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

God I must be an awful mother. I took a years maternity leave (paid/unpaid) on my son and couldn't wait to get back to work after the year.
    I wasn't ready to go back when my son was 6 months old etc but was itching to get back by the time he was one.

you're not an awful mother, far from it I bet. http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Not-F-Them-Up/dp/0091923913 is a good book to help reconcile the fact that some mothers want to go back to work, some don't and either one doesn't make you a better or worse mother or person :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi there I'm up in two hours to begin work life again after ten months Off. I feel so guilty leaving my little darling however he will be with his grandparents which makes it bearable...I hope. It took us 16 yrs together before deciding to have a family and this was one thing I even struggled with before I got pregnant...how will I leave my baby? Financially we don't have any other option. I commend moms who can stay at home and be a mom to their babies in my heart I know that's what I should be doing :(

Advertisement