Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Volkswagen Type II (Hippy van)

• 10-04-2011 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Does anybody know where I can get a vw van on the cheap? I know there are tons of them hanfing about, but where to find them is another story!!
    If anybody has one, or details, pm me.
    Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Take a look at type2ireland.org they have a list of approved sellers, if you're not a competent mechanic and have good panel beating skills be VERY careful. There is a guy in kilkenny http://krazykombis.com/ that inports clean ones from south africa you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Define "on the cheap"? You could probably get a total rebuild cheap enough, if you're into welding. A useable one won't be that cheap - T25's seem to be going for more money than they used to as well (they're actually becoming a classic!).

There was a thread on Type 2 Ireland that gave estimates of condition for different prices, if you google or search for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

flynnl1 wrote: »
    Does anybody know where I can get a vw van on the cheap? I know there are tons of them hanfing about, but where to find them is another story!!
    If anybody has one, or details, pm me.
    Cheers :)

The simple answer is ...you won't.

If it's cheap then it is cheap for a reason ...i.e. it needs lots of work.
    If it doesn't need any work, then it won't be cheap.

In that context please note that even "cheap" isn't really cheap

The threshold for stuff that you can drive further than the next garage with confidence is roughly:

T1 / Splitty: about 12 - 15k
    T2 / Bay: about 7 -8 k
    T3/ "Brick": minimum 3k for "just" a van; 5k and up for a useable camper

These would be starting prices that rise with the level and quality of equipment.

If you want to buy one of those vans, it's absolutely necessary to bring someone along who knows their stuff.
    A bit of paint and a flash camping interior can cover a multitude of sins on these yokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

Just to give you a reference with regard to prices, I paid €12k for my '76 Type 2 Westfalia from Krazy Kombis. For that I got a rock solid bus (imported from Phoenix, Arizona) made fully road worthy (loads of new parts) and a leisure electric system fitted and a 6 month guarantee.

You would really realy really want to know your stuff if you are buying privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vincent coffey

peasant wrote: »

The threshold for stuff that you can drive further than the next garage with confidence is roughly:

T1 / Splitty: about 12 - 15k
    T2 / Bay: about 7 -8 k
    T3/ "Brick": minimum 3k for "just" a van; 5k and up for a useable camper

These would be starting prices that rise with the level and quality of equipment.

This is at a bare minimum.
    bought one 2 years ago, 8.5k
    Have probably put another 2k into it over that time.
    Before you buy, call into the lads in VWspares.ie in castledermot and enquire about how much it costs to restore/repair a sh!t box
    John has told me stories of people paying 3/4k for a type2 and then spending another 7/8k to pull it apart, replace everything and rebuild.
    Best advice is to save yourself a lot of pain and worry, save up some cash and go to Krazy Kombis to get an imported bus from a dry state in the US.
    I took 18 months researching and viewing.
    I found Irish buses did not stand the test of time (rust, rust rust) and in the end I decided to get an american bus - and i am glad i went down this route.

Also just to give you an idea of the upper scale - fully "factory spec" restored busses check out what the guys in CosyClassics are looking for
    http://www.cosyclassics.ie/The-Overnighter_AT3PL.aspx

Bear in mind that this price includes a full strip to bare metal, primer, perfect respray, immaculate rebuild with top spec VW parts.

Remember, these are getting rarer to source, the market has gotten really hot in the last 5 years and anything you buy (if in good condition) will not depreciate - unlike a new car.

You also need to be prepared to get your hands dirty, learn basic mechanics, electrics etc.

check out this buyers guide to help you when you go to take a look at anything
    http://www.vwcamperguide.com/html/bay_window_buyers_guide.html

One more thought in this ramble, Euro is strong now against dollar/sterling making it more attractive to go abroad and get a van.
    Here are 2 very good classifieds for Van sales
    It is buyer beware though as there are no guarantees on these.

English VW website that friends have bought from
    http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Best American site and most popular
    http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=7

I can honestly say though that they are worth every penny when you are on the road to achill/cork/Kerry on a sunny Friday for a nice relaxing weekend.

If you or anyone wants any help or advice drop me a PM. I am always happy to help anyone interested in these beauties and the more we have on the road in Ireland the better it is for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

ahhh.... isn't scene tax great?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Unfortunately cheap is in the higher 4 figure area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Forgot there is a guy outside kenmare a dutch fella as you head out to kilmacilogue, he does good t25 vans for around 2500-3000 he owned or ran the vw dealership in bantry or so he told me.

I had a look at one of his vans and his welding was excellent and he had gone to great lengths on the engine changine all hoses and throttle and clutch cables .. stuff even i wouldn't have bothered with .. He can sort you out with any parts post purchase too.

If you really want one and I advise againt buying one. I'd trust him.

Advertisement