Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats in organic bed

Options
  • 10-04-2011 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    just built a raised bed. Got big bag of general perpose compost. Won't be enough to fill it. I am not spending any more money on this euro sucking garden( I am not a gardner):D What organic material can I throw in to bulk it up. planting flowers not veg.Tried googling but can't seem to find a comprehisive list of any sort.
    Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Yeah, how big is a raised bed scenario. I built 6 over the last few years, and I know that each one took a tonne and a half of top soil to start.
    Then they settle.
    You'd want a big compost heap to supplement them, to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Anything organic ,uncooked veg , cuttings from the garden , even old rags could be put in the bottom , they will all break down eventually. Council recycle depots sometimes supply cosmpost free !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

shawnee wrote: »
    even old rags could be put in the bottom , they will all break down eventually.
    at the risk of being obvious - i'd check what the old rags are made from first!

Advertisement