Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here make their own pasta?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I've made my own without a machine, Roma make a pizza/pasta flour and the dough is very successful. Just be careful to flour EVERYTHING or else it will stick to all and sundry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I'm on a low carb thing at the moment, so am keeping the old pasta consumption down to a minimum, but will maybe have it once a month as a treat.

I like making my own (think its typically something like 100g type 0 flour and 1 egg per person (or double if you're hungry!!) - it may be purely in my mind but i think the stuff you make yourself is heads and shoulders above even the fresh stuf you get in bags in the supermarket - i find that tends to be kind of slimey when cooked.

I use a machine, so can't offer any tips on manually rolling, however 3 things that might be of interest:

1) Leave the pasta wrapped in cling film in the fridge for at least 30 minutes - rolling it out before it rests and get really elastic can be a nightmare

2) As the above poster says, use plenty of flour to stop the individual pieces sticking together

3) I cook it within minutes of cutting it, and have had no problems

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

I'd definitely agree. I've lost a bit of weight after starting to make my own bread and pizza bases. :D And it tastes nicer.

Win win all round =D

Thanks for the tips. I'll let ye know how rolling it out with a rolling pin goes.

Advertisement