Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New GPU

Options
  • 11-04-2011 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭

my brother wants to upgrade his GPU. Right now he has HD 3200 series onboard, he wants to be able to play SC2 at ultra settings, be ready for Portal 2, and if he can avoid it he'd rather not want to drop money for a new PSU (current is 300W)

whats out there right now that would be the best fit for him, that isn't going to cost him a ton of cash?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Overheal wrote: »
    my brother wants to upgrade his GPU. Right now he has HD 3200 series onboard, he wants to be able to play SC2 at ultra settings, be ready for Portal 2, and if he can avoid it he'd rather not want to drop money for a new PSU (current is 300W)

whats out there right now that would be the best fit for him, that isn't going to cost him a ton of cash?

5670? The power restriction is likely to be the killer here assuming it is a generic 300W PSU and not some super efficient yoke

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Gateway PSU :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

We'd need the spec before we'd even be willing to recommend a HD5750 :p If there's feck-all leeway on the 12V rail you're stuck with the HD5670.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yeah I keep telling him how narrow his options are for under $100 so he's going to hold off for the moment. Maybe in a month or two I can at least get him on a 5770 and a fair PSU.

Advertisement