Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a room in CHCH for start of May

Options
  • 11-04-2011 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

Hey yall.

Im moving down to CHCH at start of May long term.
    Does anyone know of any rooms going?
    Where would be the best suberb to live in?
    Any good website besides trademe for flatshares etc?
    Any 'must avoid' areas/people/houses etc?

I would be most grateful for any nods in the right direction.

Thank you.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Depends...how much you want to pay, what are your interests, will you have a car and long term as in a few years or a few months...

Trade me is usually a good option. Suburbs, well east is generally poorer (which I dont understand because it is near the sea) West is good while north west and the port hills are the most expensive areas.

If it were me going back to live there again I would look for a place in Huntsbury, Cashmere. UNREAL.VIEWS!! TBH you will need a car or else have very strong ankles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Yeah Ill have a car.

Huntsbury & Cashmere ay? Cheers, ill keep that in mind.
    Does anyone know if these areas have been badly affected by the earthquake?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭C0N0R

I might know two Scottish guys lookin for a flatmate if that's any use you? I think they are the western side but not sure.

C0N0R wrote: »
    I might know two Scottish guys lookin for a flatmate if that's any use you? I think they are the western side but not sure.

Yeah that might be alright.
    When are they looking for someone?
    Can you PM me their details?
    Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Yeah Ill have a car.

Huntsbury & Cashmere ay? Cheers, ill keep that in mind.
    Does anyone know if these areas have been badly affected by the earthquake?

Nah, they're pretty sweet areas re the quake. Think there's one or two wee pockets in just about every suburb that got hit kinda bad in February, but nothing like the east.

Personally, I love being near the sea and I really enjoy the location and community in the central city and east.

The suburbs mentioned up there are quite upmarket (not quite Fendalton, but not far off). I'd recommend checking out places like Edgeware, St. Albans, Richmond, just north of the city, some really gorgeous houses and areas there, and St Albans has some really strong community projects etc, lovely place to live.

After having to leave our place in the feb quake, we had been looking at the Halswell/Hornby area, which are quite unaffected by quakes, and relatively cheap, though somewhat far away from the beach for my taste, though close to where my flatmates work, as well as on the motorway and generally convenient as long as you have a car.

As far as bad names go, Linwood (Linhood) doesnt have the greatest rep, neither would nearby Bromley (beside the poo pools), Bexley's dodgy and fairly destroyed by quake... Parklands was a lovely suburb but didnt do well through liquefaction.

trademe.co.nz is the best thing on the internet in general if you're trying to buy anything or find a job/house/car in nz. After that, I've never really used more than a few quick googles job hunting.

I'll have to ask the flatties next week when I get back to nz, but can't imagine it being a big problem, but I would say preliminarily that you are very welcome to stay in our spare room if you'd like while you're trying to find somewhere/set up when you get to Chch. No worries if you're not comfortable/interested, but do drop me a PM if you're keen at all, no probs helpin ya out :)

• Advertisement

Was talking to those lads last nite, there looking for someone asap so I'll try pm u his number.

Nah, they're pretty sweet areas re the quake. Think there's one or two wee pockets in just about every suburb that got hit kinda bad in February, but nothing like the east.

Personally, I love being near the sea and I really enjoy the location and community in the central city and east.

The suburbs mentioned up there are quite upmarket (not quite Fendalton, but not far off). I'd recommend checking out places like Edgeware, St. Albans, Richmond, just north of the city, some really gorgeous houses and areas there, and St Albans has some really strong community projects etc, lovely place to live.

After having to leave our place in the feb quake, we had been looking at the Halswell/Hornby area, which are quite unaffected by quakes, and relatively cheap, though somewhat far away from the beach for my taste, though close to where my flatmates work, as well as on the motorway and generally convenient as long as you have a car.

As far as bad names go, Linwood (Linhood) doesnt have the greatest rep, neither would nearby Bromley (beside the poo pools), Bexley's dodgy and fairly destroyed by quake... Parklands was a lovely suburb but didnt do well through liquefaction.

trademe.co.nz is the best thing on the internet in general if you're trying to buy anything or find a job/house/car in nz. After that, I've never really used more than a few quick googles job hunting.

I'll have to ask the flatties next week when I get back to nz, but can't imagine it being a big problem, but I would say preliminarily that you are very welcome to stay in our spare room if you'd like while you're trying to find somewhere/set up when you get to Chch. No worries if you're not comfortable/interested, but do drop me a PM if you're keen at all, no probs helpin ya out :)

Thank you dearly for your reply.
    Alot of food for thought there.
    C0N0R wrote: »
    Was talking to those lads last nite, there looking for someone asap so I'll try pm u his number.

I didnt get your PM. I better not get to Christchurch to find some other Brendan Smith tearing into iron bru and deep fried mars bars with your mates!!

Thank you dearly for your reply.
    Alot of food for thought there.

I didnt get your PM. I better not get to Christchurch to find some other Brendan Smith tearing into iron bru and deep fried mars bars with your mates!!

Ha hopefully not! I messaged u again, if u don't get this one pm me and I'll reply to it! Let me know how u get on

Advertisement