Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tai Chi for beginners level Balbriggan

• 11-04-2011 2:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi, was wondering if anyone knows if there is a tai chi class in Balbriggan and also exactly how beneficial is it? Does it tone you as well as yoga would or are there other benefits to it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

There are classes given by Ross Cousens of the John Ding Academy in Malahide and Clontarf...I don't know if this would be close enough for you...see website at:

http://www.taichiireland.com/Dublin_Classes.html
    There are many benefits to learning and practicing Tai Chi ranging across the entire spectrum of mind, body and spirit.
    Stress causes your mind to race, your muscles to tense up and your body to issue its ‘fight or flight’ response, depressing your immune system. These effects increase the risk of accidents, physical injuries and disease. As a martial art that uses 'soft' to overcome 'hard' and gentleness to defeat aggression, Tai Chi naturally releases your stress leading to a happier, healthier life.

Relaxation
    Tai chi is great for relaxation. Regular practice of tai chi will calm the mind and settle the body. By bringing balance to the body, mind and spirit, relaxation will follow as the body naturally learns to relax, and the mind learns to deal with any causes of stress.
    Health & Fitness
    The positive influence of Tai Chi on health is well-documented. Some examples are its ability to:
    • Increase stability in the elderly
    • Decrease blood pressure
    • Improve some cardiovascular conditions
    • Improve many muscular-skeletal injuries or heart problems and speed recovery from injury, operation or disease.
    Meditation
    Tai Chi includes various methods of standing and moving meditation which still, quieten and strengthen the mind. This process brings increased tolerance, concentration, will-power and self-awareness. In turn this decreases stress and frees energy to invest in what you want to do.

Hope this helps

maguffin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 turnraintocash

Thanks maguffin, do you practice tai chi yourself? I am torn between yoga and tai chi, I think I would enjoy tai chi more to be honest. I would like to tone up and lose some weight as well as reap the psychological benefits so it sounds like just the job ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

Have been practicing Tai Chi for more than 14 years. There is no conflict in doing both Yoga and Tai Chi, except if it's in relation to time or money, so why not give both a try?

Best of luck.

maguffin

Advertisement