Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Considering a career in Acrhaeology.

• 11-04-2011 9:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭

Well it comes to that time in every Arts students life when they have to choose their 2 subjects to take on to final year.
    I'm doing English and 'hopefully 'Archaeology'.

But I was just wondering does anyone have any knowledge about the job prospects since all the road building has stopped?

I've heard theres loads of Archaeological work to be had in Australia. Anyone know if its true?

Much Love.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

Please ignore my damn bad spelling. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭mocmo

To be honest the job prospects in archaeology are pretty grim at the moment, almost non-existent. The construction industry has almost completely halted therefore so too has archaeology. IF our economy gets going again things will pick up, but never to the same extent, purely by virtue of the fact that our major road building programme is pretty much complete!

However I think if you really want to study archaeology you should go for it. An Arts degree is a very general qualification from which people head into all sorts of careers bearing little or no reflection on the subjects they studied. On the other hand if you want to choose subjects which will lead to a definite career then think very carefully. For example would you like to teach? Then subjects that are taught in Primary/Secondary schools would be the thing. I suppose what I am trying to say is that what you choose now doesn't necessarily pigeon hole you for the future, but if you are hell bent on becoming an archaeologist then try it out and be prepared for tough times!

As to Australia I can't really comment on the work situation there but check out the facebook group 'Irish Archaeologists in Australia'. Hope that helps, shout if you have more questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Hi Miss Moppet,
    Those are the subjects I did in college for my B.A. PM me if you want to ask me anything about it.

There are a couple of good threads on this forum about the realities of working in archaeology... should be a good help to you.

Think it out as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Can't give you much general information, but a relative of mine with a few years experience couldn't get archaeology work in Ireland so went to Australia for a very well paid job two years ago. From what he says, it doesn't sound like there's anything happening in Ireland at the moment, but if you're prepared to move away you may have more options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

I did Archaeology and English for my degree about 15 years ago and had some good times during the 'boom' between 2000 and 2007 - Lots of work, reasonably good money, but no job security at all, so that's why there are so many unemployed archaeologists now - they were dropped like hot stones by their employers as soon as the downturn came.

There will always be some work for archaeologists - in universities, museums, government services and local authorities, private commercial companies etc, but it is now impossible to see employment numbers in the sector returning to 2006 levels anytime in the next couple of decades.

Archaeology is a good travel ticket though - I know people who have worked in Australia, Beirut and Egypt, but job security can often be lacking abroad too - not a major concern in your early 20s but more of an issue in your early 30s...

But perhaps the OP should firstly consider getting a good degree rather than focus on the subject choice. If you're not sure what you'd like to do, pick the two subjects you get best results at from those you're doing now (perhaps the two you enjoy studying the most too?) and go all-out for a 1st or a very good 2:1 in your finals - Get the best degree you possibly can and then all sorts of doors will open for you in terms of postgraduate study, jobs... In Arts, getting a mediocre degree in 'employable subjects' isn't half as good as getting a top class degree in any subject...

Best of luck...

• Advertisement
Advertisement