Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living Merrion Square side of Pearse Street

Options
  • 11-04-2011 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi guys,

I'm currently looking for somewhere to live and as the title suggests have found a place close to the train line between Pearse Street station and Grand Canal Dock station on the merrion square side of the track.

I don't know much about the area but have heard in general that pearse street is maybe not the best area. My impression when I went to view a place was that there were a lot of old people walking around, front doors left open and relaxed and it seemed ok.

I just want an idea of what people think of the area and whether it's safe enough, ie can I leave my car on the street, safe enough to walk to and from work (obviously not at all hours of the night though) etc.

Any replies are appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

Pearse Street is grand - nice area. Very central and safe I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tulipi

Thanks temply. Some people I was talking to were saying that there were drug addicts that hang out under the railway bridges etc. and that basically it wasn't that safe and area. I have to say I didn't notice anything when I was there. And the location really is great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

tulipi wrote: »
    Thanks temply. Some people I was talking to were saying that there were drug addicts that hang out under the railway bridges etc. and that basically it wasn't that safe and area. I have to say I didn't notice anything when I was there. And the location really is great.

You'll find the sort of people who say things like that don't actually live anywhere near the areas they say it about.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tulipi

You could be right there spurious.
    I think I'll go with it. It's a great location and the place is nice. Plus it's a short enough lease so if I find I don't like it I can move in a few months. Thanks for the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

One of the best locations in Dublin imho. You're a stones throw from town and a whole host of other amenities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

tulipi wrote: »

There is a methodone clinic on Pearse Street & you would see people congregating from time to time outside it, however, they're very docile & leave you be. Compared to the likes of Abbey Street & O'Connell Street its a very safe place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Lived on Pearse Street for 2 years in total (with breaks between). Never had any hassle, and I wouldn't exactly look like the strongest or tallest guy in the world. A female friend lived possible in the very area you're looking at, and didn't have any trouble at all as far as I can recall. As long as you have your wits about you, you'll be grand. Same goes for any area in Dublin, I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Do you mean the area up to Holles St or Eblana Villas etc? I don't live there but I pass there often in the evening. There seems to be a kids running around screaming problem, I got almost run into by a kid on a bike twice, but I've never seen anything worse than that. I wouldn't call it posh but it doesn't feel dangerous and I am female. I'd just take good care of my bike or car but this is true anywhere.

Lived there for 6 months and still have close connections there. Love the place and never had hassle. My friends door is literally always open. The mind boggles, but they've never had a break in in 30+ years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

In my experience houses that always have a front door open have fairly mad people living in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭ismiseuisce

I live around there - it's grand. The only bad thing is teenagers on rollerblades in their pyjamas - they're everywhere! On a serious note - it's pretty safe, I think. Actually the area has a lot more families that live here than in other parts of the city centre what with the Pearse Street/Fenian Street/Grand Canal Street flats - a lot more families than trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I live just off Pearse St and its fine though i did get broken into few months back. I never bothered locking the Chubb lock or sticking the alarm on in my first 18 mths living here so it was easy to get in, just a card on the small lock in the front door. All that was taken was a laptop and 50 euro not and i had cartons of ciggies beside the cash plus a new camera, PS3 and other stuff?? Apart from that absoutely no trouble at all and there are hardly no junkies walking around or beggars etc. Really central with the Dart around the corner plus the city/quays, close to Sandymount. Great spot for working in the city. U get a lot of young kids knocking around the chipper - Lido but so what really. Bad point thats the only chipper on the whole street.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭ismiseuisce

^^^

It's a pretty good chipper though! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I've worked in that area for 10 years, only place around there to avoid is the back of the Ulsterbank building around the railway bridge on Townsend street. Heard of a few people getting robbed there.
    Few kids about, but never saw or even heard about them hassling anyone. Very underrated area imho

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Don't want to Hi-Jack this thread but looking at a sport near Pearse Street 130 opposite the holiday holiday Dublin City Centre. Anyone know what this area is like to live in.

Advertisement