Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long for 5.5lb chicken in slow cooker on low?

Options
  • 11-04-2011 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi,

Just have a lemon chicken recipe in slow cooker at minute and the recipe gave 3-4lb chicken for 3.5hrs on high.... My chicken is a little over 5lb and want to set it to low... How long do you think it would take?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd give it 9 hours on low.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maclyn

Great - Put it on at 8am so should be ready for 6. Fingers crossed :) Only got the slow cooker last week so still all new to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The great thing is that it's impossible to burn anything in a slow cooker - unless you left it for days!

I only heard about a slow cooker for the first time last week, used it Friday - I work full time and have 2 little ones and a hubby that get in before me in the evenings - and I cannot get over the stress it has lifted from me already.

Worth its weight in gold (so far!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Good to see you are getting on well with it Maclyn!

I tried bolognese last week and it didn't come out too well. Done as I would on the pan, browned mince for couple of mins, seasoned well, added veg, tomatoes and puree and gave it about seven hours.

I just lacked any sort of bolognese flavour I'm used to. It just tasted like mince in it's own juice. Wasn't that tasty.

Any tips on that one?

• Advertisement

Haven't tried mince in it yet but seen recipe for shepards pie so going to try that next week. Did creamy beef stroganauf, beef was so tender and it tasted delicious, might need more sauce for it next time though.

This week its:
    Lemon Chicken with potatoes and muchrooms
    Pork chops with Chorizo casserole
    Beef Rogan Josh.

All new recipes so will see how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Good to see you are getting on well with it Maclyn!

I tried bolognese last week and it didn't come out too well. Done as I would on the pan, browned mince for couple of mins, seasoned well, added veg, tomatoes and puree and gave it about seven hours.

I just lacked any sort of bolognese flavour I'm used to. It just tasted like mince in it's own juice. Wasn't that tasty.

Any tips on that one?

Did you reduce the amount of liquid you would put in compared to cooking on the stove? Did you have it on high or low?

Did you reduce the amount of liquid you would put in compared to cooking on the stove? Did you have it on high or low?

It was low and then high for the last while. Probably added a bit too much liquid :o

Yeah I would reduce the liquid and normally I'd put it on auto afaik that starts it on high and then automatically switches down to low. the liquid won't boil off on low so if you need something to reduce in a slow cooker it will have to be on high I guess.

Yeah I would reduce the liquid and normally I'd put it on auto afaik that starts it on high and then automatically switches down to low. the liquid won't boil off on low so if you need something to reduce in a slow cooker it will have to be on high I guess.

That seems to be the problem so, I don't have an auto setting, so will try high with less liquid.

I was expecting a flavour bomb, and was disappointed!

• Advertisement

Also just thought of it but the slow cooker will release more fat from the meat than regular cooking as you may have noticed the texture of slow cooked mince dishes is often different to stove top cooking, this might be another reason why the bolognese could end up tasting like mince in its own juices as you said. You could try draining the mince and even rinsing some or all of it after browning it before you put it into the slow cooker. This will reduce the amount of liquid fat you put into the dish initially but it shouldn't reduce the flavour since more fat will render out through slow cooking.

Advertisement