Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you buy a decent bottle of wine for €10 in Aldi, Dunnes or Tesco?

Options
  • 11-04-2011 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭

I need a bottle of white wine for later in the week and I am wondering if I can buy a decent bottle of white for around €10 although I will spend more if I necessary.

I shop in Aldi and Dunnes so if I can pick something up there that you suggest that would be great. If relevant the wine will be drank with spaghetti bolognese which I have heard should be served with red but my guest only drinks white.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Well I only drink white too - prefer a sauvignon blanc from Chile or New Zealand however San Valentin is nice (think its Spanish) and its in dunnes for 9 euro ish

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mr. 2

I really like this Pinot Grigio in O'Briens currently on offer at €9.99 - http://www.obrienswine.ie/Italy/WhiteWine//06WITA013/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Superquinn have a French wine sale on at the moment. Plenty under a tenner

http://www.superquinn.ie/app_themes/SuperquinnCorp/images/4_our%20wine/French%20Spring%20Wine%202011%20Web.pdf

Not on your list of stores but a possible alternative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

prosecco

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Lidl have pretty decent stuff for under €6. They also sell Chablis at a very good price too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Playoff_Beard

unless they are big into their wine, you should be ok with €10 according to this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13072745
    bit of a misleading title though.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Best think you could do - go to a good wine shop with your tenner and ask what they recommend, you will get good advice and the good places source their wines carefully. Where do you live - recommendations for a good wine shop will be worth more in the long run!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

TRAMOYA in Dunnes, around €8 was a wine of the year some time ago.

ravima wrote: »
    TRAMOYA in Dunnes, around €8 was a wine of the year some time ago.

Not available in a lot of Dunnes, I think it's been delisted. Any store that has it probably just has old stock that they can't sell left over :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Vina Sol from Catalunya 7 euro in Dunnes ,cant go wrong there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 AWD4

muckety wrote: »
    Best think you could do - go to a good wine shop with your tenner and ask what they recommend, you will get good advice and the good places source their wines carefully. Where do you live - recommendations for a good wine shop will be worth more in the long run!

+1
    the value you will be getting for your tenner will be multiplied by 2 at least, and no one will have a headache the next day ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Jacobs creek riesling is nice, probably the best cheap riesling I've found. usually around 8.99 or 9.99.

If you're getting red you've a lot more choice.
    eternal wrote: »
    Vina Sol from Catalunya 7 euro in Dunnes ,cant go wrong there.

+1

The Torres Vina Sol is great when you have it really cold. I drink this when I;m buying cheap wine in spain, it's about 4 euro a bottle there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Yeah I love it ! Go into a cafe in Barcelona for lunch and ask for a glass of wine and you get a half bottle of this .Magic !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

SuperQuinn French Collection Reserve Sauvignon Blanc. €7. One of the nicest sauv blancs I've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Not available in a lot of Dunnes, I think it's been delisted. Any store that has it probably just has old stock that they can't sell left over :D

Must stock up then. A great Reuda for that price.

Anything by Laurent Miquel in Dunnes is pretty good.

The Mineralstein Riesling in M&S is top notch, and u can get a good Viognier there too for 7 quid.

Advertisement