Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General questions

Options
  • 11-04-2011 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello Boards,

I'm considering taking up rifle shooting as a hobby and I've looked over the stickies and got some advice from a friend at work who's big into it. I have a few other questions, maybe you an help with them.
    1) Is it cost efficient to import rifles from abroad, particularly the US? Obviously I'd be starting with a .22 but for historical reasons I'd like to purchase a Mosin-Nagant, preferably a Finnish model or an M44 and would the cost of customs and duties make it worthwhile to import or just buy here?
    2) Are semi-automatic rifles legal in Ireland? (gunpolicy.org says they're restricted, does that mean much tighter controls?)
    3) Any recommended rifles for someone starting out?
    4) I'm in the RDF so I have a decent idea of how to handle firearms safely, but is it necessary to take a course in this country before being granted a licence?

Any answers you give will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

ColdCheese wrote: »
    Hello Boards,

I'm considering taking up rifle shooting as a hobby and I've looked over the stickies and got some advice from a friend at work who's big into it. I have a few other questions, maybe you an help with them.
    1) Is it cost efficient to import rifles from abroad, particularly the US? Obviously I'd be starting with a .22 but for historical reasons I'd like to purchase a Mosin-Nagant, preferably a Finnish model or an M44 and would the cost of customs and duties make it worthwhile to import or just buy here?
    2) Are semi-automatic rifles legal in Ireland? (gunpolicy.org says they're restricted, does that mean much tighter controls?)
    4) I'm in the RDF so I have a decent idea of how to handle firearms safely, but is it necessary to take a course in this country before being granted a licence?

Any answers you give will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Importing from Europe is much easier and cost effective than US dues to Import restrictions and VAT & Taxes

Yes Semi Auto CENTEFIRE are restricted here.

Bolt action .22 starting out if you never have fired a rifle before.

If you have served in the RDF in recent years you qualified on the AUG and The GPMG, so a .22lr might not interest you.

you mention old Militaria rifles.
    You would need a Reason for all firearms.

.22lr rabbits
    .223 foxes
    .24 or above deer/targets

so to own a large calibre centrefire you would have to join a range like MNSCI

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Welcom Aboard.:cool:

As a rule not really. There are so many taxes and duties and fees such as shipping, etc so as to make it no more benficial to buy in the states as here or even Europe.

There are a good number of firearms dealers here that could cater to your requirements/nneds. Off the top of my head John Kavanagh of Fingal Sports would be the first man i'd speak to regarding a vintage/classic rifle.

in regards to starting off with a .22lr if you are purchasing one to simply "get on the firearm ladder" there may not be a need. You can apply for any firearm you wish. That is one of the few/only entitlements you have. If your interests are in vintage rifles you can join a club that use such rifles, talk to a dealer, and then apply for a vintage rifle as your first gun.

If you would like a .22lr anyway then pretty much any RFD (Registeres Firearms Dealer) will get you most any rifle you want.

They are restricted, but do not confuse restricted with impossible to get or cannot have. The differences between a restricted and non restricted rifle would include a better reason for wanting one, higher security level, etc. Hence being a member of an authorised range/club that allows/deals with vintage/classic rifles is a must (IMO).

I've no idea about vintage rifle, but if its .22lrs you are after then look no futher than Savage or CZ. They are both cheap rifles, but have as good accuracy (per Euro) as the more expensive ones. By that i mean you could pay upwards of €2,000 (or more) for a new Anschutz rifle with all the gear. It will be an accurate rifle, and more "consistant" than the cheaper rifles, but as a starter rifle its quite expensive. A new rifle (CZ or Savage) with scope, rings, mounts, case, bipod, etc could stand you around €800 - €1,000. They can be gotten much cheaper second hand and once they have not been abused you cannot "shoot out" a .22lr.

There are a couple of methods when applying for a license. If it is your first license for that particular firearm (as in rifle) then you will need to show previous experience or to have completed a safety course. Showing previous experience can be "difficult" and may or may not be accepted. You would need letters of reference from other shooters saying you have shot with them for about a year or so and showed safety, awareness, good handling, etc. A course will do all that for you.

Unfortunately there is no "right" way. One Super in one district may not accept previous experience and demand a course be done. Another Super in a different district could accept the previous experience as good enough and a course will not be required. It really is up to your local Super.

i would suggest contacting some gun clubs/ranges and going to have a visit. See whats available, what yo like, don't like, and get the opinions of different lads on their guns and how they find them. This is invaluable as its actual experience and better than any website/review.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Not to forget - it's only centerfire semi-auto rifles that are restricted; semi-auto smallbore rifles are unrestricted, but limited to a magazine capacity of ten rounds. (And a new Anschutz match rifle will definitely be upwards of €2k, probably over €2,500 - but it could be worse, a new Bleiker will be twice that...).
    You can get cheaper than even the CZs though, if you find a decent condition BSA or similar rifle, you could be looking at picking up a match-quality rifle for very little money indeed - half the cost of a CZ setup maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Sparks wrote: »
    Not to forget - it's only centerfire semi-auto rifles that are restricted; semi-auto smallbore rifles are unrestricted, but limited to a magazine capacity of ten rounds........

Not quite: what you say is a bit ambiguous - some rimfires are restricted, as their mags have a capacity in excess of 10 and cannot be modified... e.g. Marlin Model 99 and its variants.
    Rs
    P.

Not quite: what you say is a bit ambiguous - some rimfires are restricted, as their mags have a capacity in excess of 10 and cannot be modified... e.g. Marlin Model 99 and its variants.
    Rs
    P.

Oh lord here comes that Hornets nest lol

The Marlins and tube feed can be plugged like a shotgun can be plugged

In real terms, there are very little of them out there that are restricted.

Bullpups like walter and a few very rare other types.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ColdCheese

Thanks for the responses, I wouldn't worry too much about it being weaker than the 5.56 and 7.62 rounds in the AUG and GPMG, it's more I'd like to be able to learn and maintain good shooting practices out side the RDF. Once or twice a year isn't a whole lot of shooting.

I was just down with the local gun shop and Gardai today so they clarified a few things for me. Gave me the form to fill out for a licence and all.

The Sergeant said that because no gun clubs around here (Cavan town district apparently) maintained a range for rifles the gun would have to be registered for hunting, does that carry any additional restrictions?
    Also a couple more questions:
    - Who would be suitable for referees? Senior NCOs in the military? Manager in my part-time employment? Friends in gun clubs?
    - How much is a gun cabinet, on average?
    - Somebody I was discussing this with said if rimfire semi-auto .22s are okay I should look into a Ruger 10/22, any thoughts on that?

Thanks again for any responses.

The Sergeant said that because no gun clubs around here (Cavan town district apparently) maintained a range for rifles the gun would have to be registered for hunting, does that carry any additional restrictions?

No. just your reason for wanting the rifle will be hunting and not target shooting. One does not mean you cannot do the other.
    - Who would be suitable for referees? Senior NCOs in the military? Manager in my part-time employment? Friends in gun clubs?

Anyone with a good clean backround. No members of An Gardai, but anyone else will suffice. If they happen to be involved in or work around firearms it could help, but is not essential. It is not a must, but i try to avoid family. Just incase any Garda wants to be fussy its best to ask people not immediately reltaed to you. My opinion.
    - How much is a gun cabinet, on average?

Second hand 4 gun safe can be got for around €125 - €150. New around the €200 - €225 mark.
    - Somebody I was discussing this with said if rimfire semi-auto .22s are okay I should look into a Ruger 10/22, any thoughts on that?

I have no personal experience, but rather than skip the question. All reports indicate they are a good, reliable little rifle. However most anyone i know that owns one or has one says they are NOT very accurate. They do allow the owner to change a number of eatures due to the huge amount of after market accessories and parts, such as stocks, triggers, barrels, sights, etc. They are cheap, but for a few extra quid there are better brands that will not break the bank.

I'll leave further reviews of the Ruger to those with better first hand experience than me.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Ezridax wrote: »
    I have no personal experience, but rather than skip the question. All reports indicate they are a good, reliable little rifle. However most anyone i know that owns one or has one says they are NOT very accurate. They do allow the owner to change a number of eatures due to the huge amount of after market accessories and parts, such as stocks, triggers, barrels, sights, etc. They are cheap, but for a few extra quid there are better brands that will not break the bank.

I'll leave further reviews of the Ruger to those with better first hand experience than me.

Okay, as you said it has a lot of after-market stuff but I'm just looking for something simple and reliable so I'll leave the tacti-cool stuff for a while.
    An American friend swore by the CZ 452 Lux. Said he started off with it and it was an excellent little rifle. Any opinions?

I've had 3 of them and all of them were excellent rifles. I've said before that for performance-vs-price you will not find a better rifle.

New they are €450 and with rings, mounts, scope, and bipod you are looking at €850-ish. Secondhand they run around €450 for a good quality. They require the usual maintenance, but nothing OTT. They are an accurate rifle that would match and sometimes beat the higher end riles of similar calinre such as Anschutz. Not always mind you, but sometimes.

They can also be customised for little money, and while they do not have the variety of accessories that the Ruger may have they still hold their own wth regard to personal tastes in stocks, etc.

You really will not go wrong with one, and i would not be over-estimating when i say that i think the majority of lads have either owned one or shot one at some point in their shooting lives.

Ezridax wrote: »
    I've had 3 of them and all of them were excellent rifles. I've said before that for performance-vs-price you will not find a better rifle.

You really will not go wrong with one, and i would not be over-estimating when i say that i think the majority of lads have either owned one or shot one at some point in their shooting lives.

Even me, the shame the shame.............:p:p:p

Seriously

For what you want they will work just fine

• Advertisement

Great stuff. Thanks, gents.

Last question, you know anyone selling one in .22lr or should I start a new thread on the Selling/Wanted list?

• Go onto For Sale/Wanted.
    • Click on search on the top right.
    • Choose advanced search.
    • Top left corner choose "threads" instead of posts.
    • Keywords could be ".22lr" and/or CZ.
    • In the drop down menu choose "For Sale/Wanted"
    • Click search and it should return a good few choices in thread form.
    If you cannot find what you want or like out of the results then put up an advert and see what gets answered. Also try ringing around. Most dealers i know have at least 3-4 in stock. New and secondhand.

Advertisement