Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A smattering for C&C

• 11-04-2011 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

gloom_by_superflyninja-d3dlih7.jpg

snow_xi_by_superflyninja-d3dio05.jpg

under_the_spotlight_by_superflyninja-d3d5107.jpg

deceptive_by_superflyninja-d3cwebg.jpg

the_beach_by_superflyninja-d3cq6pk.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

1at and last would be my choice of the best out of the bunch. the other three don;t "do" anything for me really.

Number one has a very creepy, midnight walk in the dark feel about it

last picture is amazing, one of the best of that type i have seen, if i had to be critical, i would cut out a bit of the sky. But really is a super shot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

thanks a mill. for the last is it more of a square shape you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I think that church shot is great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I love #1 - fantastic mood to it.

#2 & 3 don't work for me, I'm afraid.

#4 - lovely shot but the roof is so burnt out that it does take away from it overall. If you have a RAW file ( or a couple of bracketed RAWS) you may be able to recover the highlights while retaining the beams of light. There is also a bit of a problem with your verticals here, not sure how best to deal with that...

#5 - Absolutely splendid. As paulus said, I would also consider a square crop for this, or at least remove some of the sky - beautiful shot though.

Thanks,

FoxT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

#2 for me all the way! What a cracker!!!

• Advertisement

Hi all thanks for the responses.
    Just as a quick note on the blown highlights etc. Ive submitted this batch of photos together as they are all related. What I was trying to do with the PP was just get the feeling/mood of the photos right and not worry about blown highlights/lost shadow detail(in fact ive deliberately obscured some). (I was reading The Photographer's Mind i think it was and got the idea). I think the most successful is photo one for mood.
    I do agree the verticals in the St Peter's are a bit dodgy. I probably need to play with perspective correction in PS.
    A few of ye have said 2 & 3 dont work? Any more specific feedback would be super! (in 2 id actually rather in in focus branch not be there....)
    Once i get a few minutes I will try the recrop of the last one!

cheers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

I like the 5th one the most.

I'd disagree with the other posters about cropping it square, I'd do the opposite and bring in the left edge so that the person was centred across the width.

I think that printed in a tall narrow format would be splendid.

You asked for comment on #2 & #3.

#2 looks like you just accidentally.

For me #1 is good because the photo frames the lamp post. My eye is led in to the photo, to the lamp post, and I see the emptiness of the space - #1 triggers an emotional response in me, #2 does not. I am finding it hard to explain why. #2 looks too ...random,haphazard?

#3 is...OK...I suppose, it is in focus, the blue tint is nice enough, exposure is OK, the subject is off center which is appealing, and I think that technically it is good.
    Part of the problem may be that it just does not fit at all with the other 4.

for me, #1, #4, #5 fit together - they have a similar theme (" the world is big, man is small", perhaps) #3 just doesn't have a place with them.

I hope that helps ,

-FoxT

here are two recrops :D
    the_beach_square_by_superflyninja-d3dx2he.jpg

the_beach_long_by_superflyninja-d3dx27h.jpg

both are lovely, I prefer the 1st one ( the more square one).

Why? I'd need to go into psychoanalysis to figure it out!

- FoxT

• Advertisement

FoxT wrote: »
    both are lovely, I prefer the 1st one ( the more square one).

Why? I'd need to go into psychoanalysis to figure it out!

- FoxT
    lol thanks...for me i prefer the long version.... :D
    *dials Dr Fraiser Crane*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

I'd agree with FoxT, i prefer the more cropped version, for no other reason than i just do :D

Advertisement